Information

Mametz

The second show in National Theatre Wales' Year of Surprises... This large-scale, site-specific production performed in an ancient woodland near Usk, Monmouthshire, will give audiences a vivid glimpse into life – and death – in the trenches and battlefields of the Somme.

Inspired by Welsh writer Owen Sheers’ poem Mametz Wood, it will draw on written material by the poets who fought in or witnessed one of the war’s bloodiest conflicts - the Battle of Mametz Wood, in which 4,000 of the the 38th (Welsh) Division were killed or wounded. 

Mametz is co-commissioned by National Theatre Wales and 14-18 NOW, WW1 Centenary Art Commissions, supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England and the Heritage Lottery Fund.

24th June - 5th July

Tickets for Mametz are now on sale. Visit http://nationaltheatrewales.org/mametz for more information

Members: 60
Latest Activity: Apr 21, 2015

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Mametz to add comments!

Comment by Rhian Richards on June 12, 2014 at 23:52

Hi Lynne,

Thank you so much for sharing that story. We'll be posting about this group on twitter and Facebook so we can share your stories with more people.

Rhian

Comment by Lynne Rogers on June 10, 2014 at 9:48
Owen Williams, my Great Uncle, was recorded as killed in Mametz Wood on the 10th July, however we have since discovered he died of wounds on the 15th (see info below) He was known as Nowie and his first language was Welsh. He was one of my Grandfather's older brother's and was 22 when he died. He was from Llanberis but joined up in South Wales as he had been working as a miner in Pontypridd prior to the war staring. He was in the 14th Battalion of the 38th Welsh Regiment.
The information below was sent to his mother after his death and was recorded in the local Herald Cymraeg on the 5th September 1916
' Confirmation has been received of the sad news of the death of Pte Owen Williams who died of his wounds on 15th July in France. The family have received a letter from the adjutant of the 20th Battalion, Welsh Regiment, Kinmel Camp. Captain Alfred T Morris in which it is stated that he is buried at Mametz Wood and gives the refernce x 24 c 7 5 Map Moutabaun. It was only a few weeks since the family heard of the death of his brother Pte David Price Williams. They lie near to each other. David in a small village called Mesnil and Owen at Mametz'
His brother David (Dai) died in the build up to the Somme in April 1916 he is buried in Mesnil only a few miles from Mametz. He was a South Wales Borderer.
Although it states in the above information that Owen was buried in the Wood, his grave must have been lost as his name appears on the Theipval Memorial for those without graves.
Hope this is of interest. My sister and I are coming the production and although we think it will be very moving we are really looking forward to it. We feel we know Owen as we have photos of him and his brother David, also letters from the front. My grandfather often spoke of them when we were children.
Lynne Rogers
Comment by terry chinn on June 2, 2014 at 10:16

John (Jack) Tamplin my grandmothers brother   worked in Neath @ Great Western Railway, and was a Sapper in The Royal Engineers, he died in Mametz Wood  Jack left, May, his bride to be back home in Neath, she never married . 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on May 28, 2014 at 4:40

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing the play

Comment by terry chinn on May 28, 2014 at 4:29

Hi I'm not sure but I'll check with my family, he may have been with the Royal engineers as a Sapper. I just tried checking online but we have a bit of info on him back home in Neath..ok 

Comment by Rhian Richards on May 28, 2014 at 3:49

Hi Terry,

Thank you for sharing this - it is a beautiful photo.

My grandfathers regiment, South Wales Borderers, also fought at Mametz. Do you know what regiment he was in?

Rhian

Comment by terry chinn on May 28, 2014 at 3:38

Comment by Rhian Richards on May 27, 2014 at 1:16

Mametz TEAM Social!

On Friday 20th June at 7:30pm there will be an open dress especially for TEAM members! 

Find out more: http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/mametz-tea...

Comment by Rhian Richards on May 19, 2014 at 21:45

So yesterday marked the first day of rehearsals for National Theatre Wales' upcoming production, Mametz.

Our Emerging Director, Gethin Evans, has written a blog about his first day in the rehearsal room...

Read Gethin Evans' blog

Comment by Rhian Richards on May 18, 2014 at 23:43

Hi all,

We're looking for local bloggers for Mametz. 

If you're interested or know anyone who is, you can find out more here: http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/profiles/blogs/call-out-f...

Rhian

Members (59)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service