Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by meredydd barker on April 16, 2011 at 21:44

One advantage of getting my dates wrong is that I can offer this up for people to think about. This is John Holloway of Red Shift in a Guardian arts thread about the Rose Theatre in Kingston remaining unfunded after the latest ACE round:

"It is impossible to overestimate the arts council's desire to appear aligned with new developments in theatre making, and its consequent need to distance itself from what is labelled, rightly or wrongly, as 'old hat'. Whether by accident or design, there is a discernable shift in funding evident in what happened last week. Many of the companies who've either received money for the first time or achieved uplift are working outside traditional theatres and with multi-facetted notions of 'theatre text', and ceratinly not with what The Rose audience might recognise as 'plays'. If your situation, and that of the Almeida, and many of the companies who lost funding last week (and also those who lost it in December 2007) is anything to go by, then 'plays' are now regarded with concern, which means writers, theatres and audiences who want to write, produce and see them are also being regarded with less affection than they're used to."

For ACE you could read anyone with the power to fund and commission. It couldn't happen here, could it?

Comment by meredydd barker on April 15, 2011 at 21:44
Here follows another lecture on dates from Mrs B.
Comment by Matthew Bulgo on April 15, 2011 at 20:31
Think it's next Thursday, Meredydd.
M
Comment by meredydd barker on April 15, 2011 at 11:19
I've been trying to find some on-line response to last nights forum about the role of the writer in creating and presenting new work. Or did the caravan bark and the dogs move on?
Comment by Leanne Rahman on March 16, 2011 at 1:08

Call to New Writers

BVSNW are looking for 6 talented and enthusiastic writers to transform 6 fascinating stories of the life and times of ‘Black Wales’ during the 1950s.

These 6 new 10 minute sketches will be produced, directed and premiered this year as part of the Black History Month celebrations at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.

Send us your writers bios, a brief statement about yourselves and why you are interested in this opportunity by 5pm on Friday 1st April.

Successful applicants will receive a small writers allowance, a credit and 2 complimentary invitations to the final performance, as well as extensive exposure through BVSNW’s marketing campaign.

All correspondence to: 

Leanne Rahman 

Women's Arts Development Officer

Direct Line: 02920 440188

Fax: 02920 440186

E-mail: l.rahman@bvsnw.org.uk

Black Voluntary Sector Network Wales

The Provincial

2nd Floor East, 113-116 Bute Street

Cardiff, CF10 5EQ

Tel: 02920 450068

E-mail: info@bvsnw.org.uk

Comment by Colin Ricketts on January 4, 2011 at 1:24
Many thanks Terry, I'll take a look.
Comment by Terry Victor on January 3, 2011 at 8:36

Hi Colin

Have a look at Celtx. Google it. It's sitting there waiting for you: a free download that may just answer your technical needs. TV

Comment by Colin Ricketts on January 3, 2011 at 2:27

Collaboration and a couple of technical questions.

Hello writers,

A happy New Year to you all, I hope you've seen the last of 2010's turkey/nut roast/Harvey's Bristol Cream (the cream of Bristol is Bristol City and no number of blue labels will ever change that Mr Harvey).

I joined this group after I'd emailed NTW with a question.

The question was, to paraphrase wildly: I can't write plays but I have a story can you put me in touch with someone who writes plays?

So, I thought I'd ask you people who do write plays. I do have a story: to summarise innacurately, it's a personal one of going in to and then - after various things - coming out of a locked alcohol detox ward. 

Now, the people at NTW very kindly said they'd look at this idea and whether it was something they might be able to support me in pursuing. But, I thought I'd ask you people too - do you do joint work. I'm a writer - a journalist really - but beyond what you might call an interested layman's level of expertise (to qualify generously) I'm not a dramatic writer.

The technical question I ask above relates to formatting scripts. I used to have a copy of scriptsmart downloaded from the BBC Writers' Room many years ago (to reminisce vaguely), but now can't get a version to work on my new computer - windows vista, using word. Does anyone out there use similar software they might be able to recommend?

All the best to you all.

Colin.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on November 30, 2010 at 2:55
Here's a good opportunity:

Belfast’s Lyric Theatre is delighted to announce the establishment of an annual Playwright in Residence award and would be very grateful for your assistance in circulating information to potential applicants. This residency is a unique opportunity for a writer to work in a busy theatre environment at a formative stage in his or her career. The inaugural residency will commence in spring 2011 when the Lyric's new theatre opens in Belfast. The closing date for receipt of completed applications is 4pm Friday 17 December 2010. Further information and an application form can be found on the Lyric’s website – www.lyrictheatre.co.uk/jobs

Glynis Watt
Marketing & PR Officer
Lyric Theatre
Crannog House
44 Stranmillis Embankment
Belfast
BT9 5FL
Comment by Edward Llewelyn on October 29, 2010 at 6:51
Hi everyone,

My name is Edward Llewelyn and I was just writing to let you know of a group I have brought from my time in London at The Royal Court to Wales.

A few months ago I set up The Lucky Dogs Cymru, which is a writing and acting group designed to get new writers and actors noticed in the large creative arena. What the group entails is for both these creative groups to come together, the writers either having an idea for a play, a 1 min piece or a whole script. Actors then read out these scripts or improv ideas based on the thoughts of the writer and then chat about them afterwards. What it gives the writers essentially are voices to see how the characters develop as well as potential ideas to carry forth with, depending on the development.

We meet at least once a month in The Queen's Hotel, Swansea just up from The Morgans Hotel opposite Wind St usually for about 2 hours and the writer if he or he wishes can hear what their scripts are like off the page. What this group is aimed at is to nurture and develop, no competitiveness is involved as people can take what they want from the discussions and apply them should they wish to their scripts.

If you're interested please apply to join the group and I shall let you know of the date of the next meeting.

Look forward to hearing from you.
The Lucky Dogs Cymru

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service