Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Spencer on November 2, 2012 at 3:32

Calling all writers, actors, musicians, producers, media creatives and those with the technical know-how... Cardiff Youth Service is working with the Local Health Board and South Wales Police to develop an Alcohol Awareness campaign targeting 14-19 year olds.

We aim to produce a series of short stories/films based on the drunken exploits of a group of young people on their way to see the fictitous multi-platinum selling band -Indie Scent.

We are looking for a range of responses, it can be humorous, thought provoking or involve shock tactics, as long as it is informative and enables people to question what constitutes a decent night out.

The finished article will form part of a learning resource package which will include workshops to be delivered nationwide in schools and youth centres.

If you are interested in this project please get in touch and join our group

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/group/indie-scent-decent-...

Comment by National Theatre Wales on November 2, 2012 at 3:29

All sounds good.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it's developed. 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on November 2, 2012 at 3:16

Rehearsals are going great, thanks for asking, learning a lot about my writing, how to drive the narrative forward, keep the energy going, editing for more of a powerful impact not repeating and also finding out what I'm trying to say with the piece. Have a great team to learn from Louise's direction and sensitivity is spot on Sara and Sharon really bring this mother and daughter relationship to life.

Hope to get an audience in Blaengarw and Merthyr, excited about the audience response in the village hall and have found out that St.Brides had an exodus to Utah in the 1850's - how apt that we should be bringing it there

Comment by National Theatre Wales on November 2, 2012 at 2:55

Cheers Carmen.  How's Utah Bride going?

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on November 2, 2012 at 2:49

Thanks John, that's great to hear all that, glad you're still reading too

Comment by National Theatre Wales on November 2, 2012 at 1:56

Hi Carmen, the writers award announcement was quite an upbeat affair - with excerpts from all the plays and a guest list including, of course, all the finalists, folk from the BBC, ACW, theatres, and a selection of other writers.  We invited those writers who have been produced by NTW over the last couple of years (including Mr Price) and a selection of TEAM members who are involved with new writing. The press were there and the event was covered on BBC Wales today, Western Mail, The Stage - so not a bad sense of occasion. It wasn't an open invite to all writers though  and maybe that's something to look at for the future.

In relation to the award itself, the £10k is a no-strings award to the playwright for them to do with as they want - I imagine that in Kath's case, as with most writers, that will primarily be for time to write.  

All of the finalists also met the panel of judges to talk about what they hope to get from the award.  They were each asked to put forward a new idea to spark this discussion.  Kath's idea was for a TV drama - even though the script she submitted was a theatre piece.  So there are many possibilities going forward - from theatre production to TV work.  The key thing is to work with the writer to find the best way forward. I feel we've been pretty clear all along that this was how the award would be structured.

In terms of NTW and Kath's play, there are a number of possibilities.  Kath currently has another script in development with us, so we have to look together at which of her ideas is right for us put resources into, and which might be supported elsewhere.  Equally importantly, the two runners up, Paul and Ralph are two really interesting writers for us to consider in the future - and who weren't on our radar previously.  

I hope that answers some of the questions (including Tim's one about my reading habits!)  x

Comment by Gary Owen on November 2, 2012 at 0:45

Did you write your email in collaboration with a juggler, Tim?  No?  Then you got the response you deserved.  [/pointless self-defeating snark]

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on November 2, 2012 at 0:18

Interesting points Tim.

Wouldn't it be a huge positive promotion and confidence boost (as we all need this ) for welsh writers or working in wales writers to have been given the opportunity to be part of the writers award announcement and make it a celebration - it all seemed to be very low key (perhaps that is an opinion) and many don't understand why? After all didn't we all champion for this award to happen and thus should be a part of its development through its grand finale? 

Many also thought that the award fund was for the writer to be able to take time off work/sabbatical or to enjoy the writing process rather than worrying about the mortgage but it was mentioned that this was for the project to be developed? Could this be clarified perhaps.

This is not in anyway detracting from the fact that this is a wonderful opportunity for writers and it is hoped that it goes on from strength to strength - these are suggestions to make it feel more transparent and inclusive for everyone. It is hoped that these come across as positive suggestions. For NTW next programme it is hoped there is more new writing or new writing interpretations of challenging texts like The Persians and maybe more theatre for young people. I think that NTW are doing terrific work and are also making it possible for new and established artists to have the confidence to create new work it is hoped that NTW continue to reach out to us and be proactive as it did in it amazing first year 

Comment by Tim Price on November 1, 2012 at 22:37

Yeah. I've emailed them about that...no reply...

Comment by meredydd barker on November 1, 2012 at 22:33

Interesting to note that exeunt magazine has a Scots desk but doesn't see the need for a Welsh one.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service