Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by meredydd barker on November 1, 2012 at 22:28

Me.

Comment by Tim Price on November 1, 2012 at 15:32

I can't wait to see Kath Chandler's award winning play produced by NTW! Because that's what it's all about isn't it? The Wales Drama Award? Getting playwrights produced? Isn't it? That's what our thread was about? That's what the award was meant to fix? wasn't it? Am I...have I...am I doing it again? I'm doing it again aren't I? But it would be a bit weird not to produce it wouldn't it? Or on the other hand...very Welsh? 'We've decided this is the best play in Wales and we can't wait for someone else to produce it!' I don't think John reads this anymore so we can say what we like. Personally I'd like to see more dance in next year's programme, but he's not going to listen to me. Who else would like to see Kath's play? 

Comment by Charlie Hammond on November 1, 2012 at 2:37

For anyone who is interested in Improvisation and Storytelling, there shall be weekly workshops at the Cardiff Masonic Hall (near Gwdihw) from Tuesday 6th November onwards, 6.30-9.30

http://community.nationaltheatrewales.org/group/improv-is-it 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on October 31, 2012 at 21:56

There will be a writers forum as part of the 'Sherman Forum' held at Chapter Arts Centre this time - before 'The Utah Bride' on Friday the 16th of November at 6.30pm - all welcome - writers get a discount to then watch Utah at 8pm.

Topics for this forum will be:

Getting your work on!

Writing stories that capture the programmers/commissioners imagination!

Listening and acting upon feedback from mentors/audience/dramaturgs!

The Forum is free, all welcome, and its a great positive support network

Comment by meredydd barker on October 31, 2012 at 5:51
Comment by meredydd barker on October 29, 2012 at 2:55

http://exeuntmagazine.com/features/the-working-playwright/

I know what I think of this article. But what do you think?

Comment by Kevin Johnson on October 29, 2012 at 2:27

Congratulations to Kath Chandler and the other 5 finalists who have shown what a wealth of talent we have in Wales.

Last Thursday I went to see the RSC's Julius Caesar, an 'all black' production set in Africa. What a contrast to Germany where they still think they have need of 'black face'. It was excellent, but what I and the person next to me found interesting was the way the words fitted the cadences of the African accents so well. It was like hearing them anew.

And just to show how far theatre has come over the last decade, on the same night I could have seen a National Theatre of Scotland play or one by our own Dirty Protest. Talk about spoiled for choice.

Comment by Othniel Smith on October 29, 2012 at 1:51

Congratulations to Kath Chandler on winning the Wales Drama Award. Interesting to note that most (if not all) of the winners appear to be over 30.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/about/wales-drama-award-winners-an...

Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on October 26, 2012 at 2:28

Hello all,

some playwright power at large... I imagine many of you have seen American playwright Bruce Norris's stand against racist theatre practices in Germany... He has withdrawn the rights to his play 'Clybourne Park' as the Deutsches Theatre intended to cast white actors in African character roles and then use 'blackface.' Norris wrote an open letter to the American Dramatist's Guild and has also started a petition for playwrights to take a stance against this practice.

I'm currently working in Berlin, which is alive with debate and controversy over other 'black face' practices in theatres here.... There have been symposia and debates about this - and then when I saw the controversy of the RSC's proposed use of 'yellowface' in their forthcoming season, it feels like something is afoot and many positions and practices which appeared to be established about race and representation have been eroded or questioned.... I've gathered some links about these various debates, plus Norris's letter and his petition, which you can find on the link to my blog below. It's important - and an issue we playwrights, makers, practitioners, and audience should be involved with....

http://kaiteoreilly.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/debate-on-racist-theat...

Comment by Kelly Jones on October 25, 2012 at 20:24
Hey writers
I am at the Immersive Writing Lab all day today and tomorrow in London
Blogs to follow :)
Kelly

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service