Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Louise Breckon - Richards on October 21, 2012 at 5:56

Had a reading of my first play ' Maiden, Mother, Crone '  in London which was great and terrifying in equal measure. I was also acting in it so had to wear two different hats for the day.  It was quite an intimate event as it's only my second draft so around 20 odd people came. Lots of feedback which leads me onto the question...how much to take on board and how much to not. This next draft seems like a mountain to climb with so many thoughts on it now.  Any tips on taking feedback?  Overall, a great thing to do as it highlighted what def needs to go ! Happy writing all!

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on October 17, 2012 at 5:59

Did I miss something? Who did get through to the Wales Award...'its oh so quiet'

Comment by Adam Somerset on October 17, 2012 at 0:28

Latest from Scotland

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/charlottehigginsblog/2012/oct/09/...

The thread from Variant tells a lot

Comment by Tim Price on October 16, 2012 at 6:40

Exactly Gary, and Dai Smith's 25/25 Welsh horizons: 25 essays by Welsh writers in Wales would have been a great opportunity for a playwright to remind us of this, but I can only assume a playwright wasn't invited to write because we're all too busy with all the commissions that Welsh theatre throws at us? 

Comment by Gary Owen on October 16, 2012 at 4:36

Reading the Lyn Gardner's theatre round up for the week.  Here it is -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2012/oct/12/what-to-see...

Lots of interesting theatre on in Wales this week - and, as ever, lots in Scotland.  I'm having a little mental moan to myself that I won't get to see my idol David Grieg's Monster in the Hall (nor his lovely Yellow Moon's second trip to the Sherman in the last few years) when it occurs to me - in Scotland, the work is written/devised/dreamed up by Scots/based theatre-makers.  In Wales - we're putting on work written/devised/dreamed up by others.

There's a lesson to learn here.  And it is that we should thank God we are expansive, open-minded and internationalist, not like those inbred, self-absorbed Scots.  I'm sure it's our willingness to take on influences from outside that means we're such a theatrical giant as a nation - to the extent that the Scots blatantly stole our model of a national theatre when setting up their own.  Woady losers.

Comment by Kelly Jones on October 14, 2012 at 21:42
Here are just a few pictures from the last two days rehearsals for the NTW TEAM event Stories of the Streetz :)
We have some excellent script being directed by John Norton in an exciting promenade immersive style!
Hope to see you all there
Tuesday 16th 7:30pm @ The Crofts Pub
The writers and scripts are: Dafydd by Andy Evans Birthday Blitz by Dylan Wilde ...
Toilet Trees by Charlie Hammond Supermarket by Chris Davies Squirrel Pride by Dean Scurlock A Fight Less Ordinary by Kelly Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDNCO36Ukjs&feature=youtu.be
Comment by Tim Price on October 13, 2012 at 1:07

Bush theatre's 'new writing' festival.

http://www.bushtheatre.co.uk/production/radar_2012/

Showcasing 7 plays that have all been produced somewhere else before. 

Seems like if you want to get a play on at the Bush, or Soho theatre you need to sign up for a load of credit cards, and book a ticket to Edinburgh.

Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on October 7, 2012 at 22:46

A group of writers are sharing excerpts form their work in progress this coming Saturday at the Lloyd George Museum in Cricieth (full details, below). It's the culmination of a six month mentoring scheme at Ty Newydd... and this seemed a glorious way for us to share the work and conclude the project... We would love to share the work and get feedback, so if you;re around and available this Saturday from 7.30pm in North Wales, you'll be more than welcome....

You are invited to an informal rehearsed reading of work developed on the 2012 Ty Newydd Mentoring Scheme, National Writers Centre of Wales.
Saturday 13th October 2012
7.30pm
We will be reading excerpts from eight new plays by
Julie Bainbridge
Sandra Bendelow
Anne Marie Durkin
Sean Lusk
Martin Pursey
Marie Quarman
Maria Vigar
Tom  Wentworth
 The venue
 Lloyd George Museum, Llanystumdwy, Cricieth, Gwynedd. LL52 0SH.
Admission free
The Ty Newydd Mentoring Scheme is led by playwright/dramaturg Kaite O'Reilly. Over a six month period the eight selected writers on the course are supported throughout the process, from initial pitch to polished second draft.

Comment by Adam Somerset on October 3, 2012 at 23:04

Kenneth, I stand corrected- I could have profited by checking a few facts. It shows too not to write in a less-than-good temper. I started the day looking for a review of "Before It Rains" and could not find much beyond three paras in the Stage. I saw Kath Chandler's first piece of writing in 2009 & was interested to see a proper assessment of a piece of new writing.

Comment by Kenneth Griffin on October 3, 2012 at 6:41

In response to Adam Somerset, Claire Price won the TMA Best Supporting Performance in a Play award for Mary Stuart at Theatr Clwyd in 2009 so it seems a bit trigger-happy of him to suggest without evidence that no panellist saw The Taming of the Shrew in Mold. In 2010, the Best Design award went to Mike Brookes and Simon Banham for NTW's The Persians which was staged more than a minute from Covent Garden on a remote military firing range in mid-Wales. As for his two Wesh language demands, I wonder if Y Storm was eligible, given that it opened in late July 2012, and also whether Llwyth was eligible, given that it opened in April 2010. Also, it could be problemmatic to judge productions not in English, although I don't know the TMA rules.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service