Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Harriet Hopkins on October 2, 2012 at 11:42

Hi Writers,

I help run a project in Bridgend called Arts Exchange, and we're looking for spoken word artists who can command a crowd with good stage presence and short pieces that capture the imagination to perform at the monthly events held in Bauhaus Cafe (which is quickly becoming a hub for artisans of all kinds...)

We are unable to offer payment, but all performers do get a free meal and drink (including alcohol), and we are usually able to cover expenses.

If you're interested, or have any particular recommendations, please contact me on here or email harriet.g.hopkins@gmail.com

Previous performers have included:

• Rhian Edwards
  • Mab Jones
  • Mark Blayney
  • Susie Wild
  • David E Oprava
  • Karen Sherrard
Comment by Kenneth Griffin on October 2, 2012 at 5:17

There are 24 production nominations of 21 different productions. Wales has less than a 20th of the UK's population. So, statistically unsurprising.

However, 2 of the 5 nominations for touring productions played New Theatre, Cardiff.

Comment by Tim Price on September 28, 2012 at 21:40

TMA UK awards longlist announced. Not a single nomination for a Welsh theatre or production...

http://www.tmauk.org/theatreawardsuk.aspx

Comment by Jaye L Swift on September 27, 2012 at 23:18

I watched The Valleys last night, I knew it was going to be bad, but not that bad.  What utter tripe!

Pity I don't live in the Valleys would love to have given it a go.

Comment by Tim Price on September 27, 2012 at 22:00

Dirty Protest's next event will be in response to MTV's show 'The Valleys'. 

We're looking for writers from the Valleys to get in touch with us at dirtyprotesttheatre@gmail.com

We'll be asking playwrights to write a 10 min play, for no more than 3 characters, the only requirement being you have to be from the Valleys. We only have 3 slots left, so we won't be able to stage every play submitted, but please get in touch. We're especially interested in hearing from some women writers. 

Please get in touch via dirtyprotesttheatre@gmail.com for more info

Comment by meredydd barker on September 19, 2012 at 7:52
Its just i'm running youth theatre right now and in twenty minutes I'll be running a playwright group for fifteen of them; I'm determined that there be a future for these bods and their work because their talent deserves it.
Comment by meredydd barker on September 19, 2012 at 6:53
Completely and utterly fair enough.
Comment by Tim Price on September 19, 2012 at 6:45

Kevin's right of course, it's a unfair to pull a quote like that from 2 days of open discussion. Out of context it misrepresents John. It was a question John asked after a 10 minute rant from me about the state of opportunities for playwrights in Wales, and I think John wanted to 1) stop me talking probably! 2) Get me think a little more deeply about the issue. 

Of course I wished i'd replied with 'why do you think we don't?' My reply at the time was rambling and incoherent but I think I said that I don't think the world owes playwrights a living, and I don't think I was asking for a living. I was asking for much less in fact. I was asking for the opportunity for playwrights to respond to each other. And that can only happen when enough plays are being produced with enough regularity for there to be a professional playwright culture. At the moment, a new play written by a playwright, produced by NTW or the Sherman is the exception in that season. 

The group was 'Welsh Playwrights: A species threatened with extinction? And it was made up lots of interested parties included John from NTW and Chris from the Sherman. 

Comment by meredydd barker on September 19, 2012 at 6:10

Hi Kevin,

I don't think John's uncharitable at all, quite the opposite. But don't you think it's interesting that we're talking about an ad hominem question that John asked of playwrights instead of a question - any question - that was asked of John? That needed pointing out I feel. It wasn't up to him or Chris R et al to 'spark' a discussion, was it? 

Meredydd

Comment by Kevin Johnson on September 19, 2012 at 5:49

n all fairness Meredydd I was at the event but not that particular session, so I can't say if there was goodwill or not, but the nature of the event was such that questions like that were asked to 'spark' a discussion, so to speak.

I can't readily believe that John would be so uncharitable.

To give an example, one person set the topic of 'Where is your passion?' which generated a fascinating talk.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service