Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Tim Price on August 24, 2012 at 0:31
Comment by Tim Price on August 24, 2012 at 0:27

Is it time National Theatre Wales or The Sherman Cymru supported Welsh theatre but copying Northern Stage's Edinburgh model?

This year Northern Stage, the Newcastle based theatre, took over St Stephen's venue in Edinburgh and curated a series of plays by North East writers, and North East theatre companies. Northern Stage organised box office, promotion and even accomdation. 

Every year I ask ACW if Dirty Protest can take a play to Edinburgh and every year the reply is, we'll only fund a show outside of Wales if the dates outside of Wales amount no more to 15% of a total tour. 

That means for a 4 week run in Edinburgh, we have to create a tour for a piece of new writing for a probable first time writer, has to tour wales for just under 24 weeks before we can take it to Edinburgh. Or more than likely, after Edinburgh. Now blind as I am to the failings of new writing, even I can sense that that might be a hard sell. 

So what can we take from this? ACW just don't want us to take our work out of Wales?

Whereas Northern Stage are taking the bull by the horns and leading the charge. Is there a theatre in Wales that would/could be so dynamic?

Imagine a venue curated by Sherman Cymru hosting plays by Velvet Ensemble, Dirty Protest, 3D, Undeb and NTW.

Or NTW hosting plays by Volcano, Marc Rees, Not Fit State. Imagine, god forbid, that the Welsh Venue might even be the hip venue one year?

Why in Wales do we have to wait British Council year before any RFO Welsh theatres will do anything up there? Or why do our fringe companies have to pay out of their own pockets, or perform enormous tours to go there?

Read this article by Daniel Bye about his experience as one of the artists programmed by Northern Stage in Edinburgh. It is surely a model for Wales to adopt.

http://exeuntmagazine.com/features/northern-pride/ 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 20, 2012 at 7:15

Can't wait to see it. Hopefully going to be a writers forum on Monday Sept the 3rd at Sherman Cymru

Comment by Jaye L Swift on August 19, 2012 at 4:54

I shall be on your course Carmen!

Comment by Jaye L Swift on August 19, 2012 at 4:54

Hi Kath, I've booked my ticket, going with 3 friends on 6 October

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 19, 2012 at 4:38

Congrats Kath, Can't wait to see it hopefully we'll have a group of students and the forum to come and support you xx

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 19, 2012 at 4:30

New 10 week Course - Developing your Writers Voice and Getting that Script finished

Begins Tuesday Evenings at Bridgend College Sept 18th 

This course will explore unlocking your artists voice, tapping into your unique talent and developing the story that only you can tell. It will empower you to write.

Julia Cameron (The Artists Way) has given me her blessing to teach the exercises and her approach to developing the artist/writer. This will be an exciting opportunity that could hugely benefit your writing and progression.

With the support and mentorship of myself and a group of fellow writers to help on this journey of discovery you will become the writer you've always imagined.

The sessions will begin with exercises and discussion, theatre visits, one to one mentorship, keeping up to date with current writing profession and opportunities, guest lecturers, culminating in read throughs and sharings of your scripts as you progress.

Past Student Success's 2012

Book Publishing Deal

2 Mentorship's through Spread the Word Sherman Cymru

Winner of Short Play Radio Competition

Selected for a Soho Writers Workshop

Selected for next round of Wales Drama  Award

Short Film selected for American Film Festival

Past Guest Lectures: Robin Soans, Max Stafford Clarke, Alan Harris, Louise Osborn, Sian Summers, NTW Team, 

There is a small charge but there may be discounts for unemployed etc... please enquire at Bridgend College Reception 01656 302302 or email myself.

Further information please email rodstephens@btinternet.com 

(This course can build upon 2 other ten week courses throughout the year)

Comment by Kevin Johnson on August 15, 2012 at 1:16

That should have read 'thank' not 'thanl' by the way. My proof reading is a little rusty! 

Comment by Kevin Johnson on August 15, 2012 at 1:12

I'd also like to wish good luck to those that got through, and to thanl John & all at NTW for being so open and responsive.

I didn't enter myself as none of my scripts were good enough, and from what everyone's been saying on here, the quality was high. Maybe next year, eh? 

Comment by Kelly Jones on August 13, 2012 at 23:12
Hey I haven't heard :( is that a good thing? Did they let you know by email or post? X

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service