Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Jaye L Swift on August 11, 2012 at 22:09

Hi Mark

Couldn't agree more the rejection letter left a lot to be desired.

Anyway, over it... moved on...

Jacqueline

Comment by Marc George on August 11, 2012 at 19:12

Hiya

OK - I've withdrawn my last two posts in light of it sounding like I'm being overly critical and or unable to accept rejection (I hate whiners and hate the idea of sounding like one) - so posts withdrawn with an apology for sounding like a moaning git.

To answer Carmen's question:

I feel that the award highlights that there are passionate writers in Wales but obviously somewhere along the line we are falling short of industry expectation.

An 80% fail rate in the first read through flags up a major issue somewhere.

Whether that's a knowledge or skill gap from the writing community or a failure to understand the brief or something else -  I don't know but it's something worth finding out.

There are also some issues that need to be fixed from an administration point of view. From intial email confirmation problems & the lack there of to the fact that someone somewhere, needs to re-draft rejection letters in a much more sensitive way. Blanket emails, with a copy and paste text are not the way forward.

There are a lot of us Welsh Writers out here who are passionate about our craft but are we falling short somewhere along the line and if so where and how?

That's the only thing I've taken from this experience.

What now? Like everyone else, suck up the rejection, go back to the drawing board & work out where I went wrong & how to improve for the next project.

Comment by Ieuan Watkins on August 11, 2012 at 8:25

Marc, sorry to read your news. I entered this competition and was also disappointed, though the disappointment was eased slightly by the knowledge that I got through the first stage and was therefore in the top 20%. Small consolation, though, when you're told the script will go no further. My first reaction was to think "Knobheads!" - but I am intrigued by the ten page rule. I'd entered the same script into a number of other competitions. One Hollywood producer who read it said he really enjoyed the script - but, crucially, perhaps, didn't think the story really got going until page 15. (All the same, I sincerely hope the Writer's Award readers read beyond the first ten pages!) I should mention that all the websites I read about scriptwriting stress the importance of hooking the reader in the first ten pages.

However, my sympathies go to you and everybody else who feels disappointed. What else can I say? All we can do is suck it up, as the Yanks say, and vow to do better next time.

Best wishes,

Ieuan

Comment by Timothy Collins on August 10, 2012 at 15:27

Still haven't received a reply ! (probably got lost in the mail)

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 9, 2012 at 22:36

so whats the verdict on the Writers Award? Anyone going through to the next round?

Comment by Kelly Jones on August 4, 2012 at 0:26
Comment by Kenon Man on August 2, 2012 at 22:35

ScriptSlam: After the Party

For the first time in Sherman Cymru’s history we’ve set writers a new challenge of writing on a theme for ScriptSlam.

Following on from a summer of events and celebration, this ScriptSlam will showcase five new ten minute plays written on the timely theme of After the Party. All the plays will be written by Welsh and Wales based writers and performed, script-in-hand, by professional actors.

After each play is performed, a panel of industry experts – writers, actors and directors – will be on hand to offer their advice. You, the audience, will get to vote for your favourite. The winning writer will then have the opportunity to work with Sherman Cymru's Literary Team to develop their playwriting skills.

Guidelines for After the Party ScriptSlam submissions:

• Submissions open to either Welsh or Wales based writers
  • A 10 minute long script that can be either a scene, excerpt of a play or a short play on its own.
  • A maximum of 5 characters
  • To write on the theme of After the Party

Deadline for submission is 19 September 2012. You can send your scripts either by email or post to:

Sarah Bickerton
ScriptSlam
Sherman Cymru
Senghennyd Road
Cardiff
CF24 4YE

So get writing!

For more information please contact Sarah Bickerton | 029 2064 6983. Tickets for the event can be bought online by visiting ScriptSlam: After the Party

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 2, 2012 at 1:59

Yep, that's great, its a drop in so you can attend when you're able to. All the Best,

Comment by Timothy Collins on August 2, 2012 at 1:13

Hi Carmen, am I okay just turning up to the Writers Forum on Monday ? Just wondering because I haven't been before. Thanks !

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on August 2, 2012 at 1:11

Writer Forum @ Sherman this Monday 7-9 Script surgery, bring a few pages you would like to be read out/assisted with.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service