Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by meredydd barker on July 9, 2012 at 5:20
Comment by Kenon Man on July 9, 2012 at 3:18

Welcome to the first Sherman Swingers weekend.

One bowl, lots of keys... and leave the door ajar... wink wink

What happens if you group together some of the hottest talent in Welsh theatre, get them to spin a bottle, put a few mattresses on the floor and get them to stay awake all night?

20 Writers, 10 directors, up to 40 actors, a fruit bowl, lots of keys….48 hours to make 20 short pieces of theatre...

On Friday 20th July, we’re inviting an eclectic mix of the best of Welsh theatre talent into Sherman Cymru. Once their groupings are picked from a lucky dip, the writers spend Friday night in the theatre, writing for a space that their Swingers key will unlock – somewhere you’ve never been in the theatre before.

The directors and actors then have Saturday and Sunday morning to create their offering which will be performed, promenade-style around the building on Sunday 22 July.

Click here for tickets and more information

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on July 9, 2012 at 1:09

Who has followed The Artists Way - would be interested to find out peoples thoughts on the process

Comment by Tim Price on July 5, 2012 at 6:47
Hello all for more info on Dirty Protest's next play, please go to

https://www.facebook.com/events/383367635045089/?ref=ts

And to find some great offers on workshops go to

http://www.sponsume.com/project/dirty-protest-theatre

All proceeds go towards the production
Comment by Kevin Johnson on July 5, 2012 at 4:46

I have no problems with swearing, I do it myself, but I've always felt they should be used sparingly, otherwise they lose their effectiveness.

And also my mother might be watching!

Comment by Jaye L Swift on July 4, 2012 at 23:16

Reply from BBC regarding use of bad language in Welsh Drama Award:

Hi Jaye, no - as long as it makes sense in the context of the piece and your story, it's fine to use it.

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on July 4, 2012 at 6:51

Hi Jackie and Kelsey, glad you found the forum useful, next one will be first week of August and hopefully Neil will be there too.

Peter - yes we had a discussion about it and we too feel that there is a difference between TV and stage so thus if your stage play is full of F's and B's then go for it....

Comment by meredydd barker on July 3, 2012 at 10:36

If you're worried about clause 9 of the terms and conditions then watch tonight's episode of Line of Duty on iplayer if you haven't caught it already. It should chill you out.

Comment by Peter Cox MBE on July 3, 2012 at 2:15

Hi Terry et al: I've had a read of the terms and conditions and am just picking up on the same points:  it reminded me of when the stunning American comedian Lenny Bruce was vilified for obscenity etc.  If I recall correctly he pointed out that in his opinion dropping napalm bombs on Vietnamese villagers was obscene!

I think there are a few clauses in the BBC's terms and conditions that raise questions, not least those to do with rights acquisition.  I can only imagine that John and Lucy and the team at NTW won't want those clauses to deter writers from submitting scripts.  The competition is open to submission of both play scripts and screenplays.  By their nature playscripts are not bound by the same kind of legislation as screenplays for television broadcast. The ethos of the competition appeared / appears to be that it is looking to find a powerful writer's voice in an extraordinary script:  one would hope that in the normal way these things happen that if the work subsequently needed to be amended to comply with British Broadcasting regulations (but there's no guarantee of a BBC production) then a proper revisions process would be gone through with the writer. 

Comment by Terry Victor on July 3, 2012 at 2:02

I would be interested in the BBC's definitions of obscene, offensive and unsuitable. Also, I am disappointed in the use of the term 'bad language'. As writers, surely we all understand that there is no such thing as bad language. Inappropriate language, perhaps, but 'bad' is a bit like the workperson blaming his or her tools.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service