Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Adam Somerset on June 2, 2012 at 20:56

National Theatre of Wales at Hay Festival 2012

Lucy Davies, Owen Sheers & Peter Stead spoke, read, showed two scenes and took questions on the Passion at Port Talbot yesterday. The venue was the Big Tent and attracted a sizable audience, given that the event overlapped with Susan Greenfield & a Nobel prize-winner.

From a writing perspective the most illuminating comment was on the choice of writer, Conventional dramaturgy would not fit an audience of unexpected size, moving about, craning their necks to see. It needed, in Lucy Davies' words "a poet's craft to find the precision and distillation in the language."

The genesis of the prodction was described from first phone call, to exploratory chat, to alighting  on a revival of the Margam Passion. As the scale grew inexorably towards 72 hours "that" said Owen Sheers "was the first time I felt truly terrfied."

The event contained one unique line. Owen Sheers was describing the transmutation of characters from the Gospels into emblematic figures from the town. While talking of the roof tiler as the Teacher's father he added "in fact the actor is sitting right there. It's not often a writer gets to have God watching
him in the front row".

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on May 30, 2012 at 22:52

New writing ten minute extracts Thursday the 28th of June at Bridgend College, hope you can come along

Comment by Kenon Man on May 30, 2012 at 3:53

Full list of Plays, Directors and Cast for Sherman Cymru ScriptSlam tomorrow at 8pm.  Local Cardiff band - Sunshine Riots will be performing during the interval. Book Online

The Best Men by David Taylor

Director:Julia Wyndham

Cast:Matthew Owen, Francois Pandolfo

Mineral Prospector by Emily Hinshelwood

Director:Jamie Lee

Cast:Rhian Blythe, Richard Nichols, Ri Richards

Headless Chicken by Colin Dowland

Director: Jamie Lee

Cast:Rhian Blythe, Sion Pritchard, Cler Stephens

There's an app for that by Paul Mackay

Director: Peter Scott

Cast:Catherine Ayers, Eifion ap Cadno, Gwawr Loader, Francois Pandolfo

Vigil by Kate Devlin

Director: Peter Scott

Cast: Richard Elis, Gwawr Loader

Comment by Helia Phoenix on May 29, 2012 at 10:32

This Friday is the launch of the We Are Cardiff community project exhibition in Roath, featuring stories and photography of local residents. The launch party will take place at Waterloo Teahouse from 6-8pm - would love to see any of you there who can make it. We are still looking for people to write stories about their experiences in Cardiff, so if you're interested please message me...

More info on the Friday event here

Comment by Matt Ball on May 29, 2012 at 7:09

Applications are now open for the WalesLab Pollinate Summer Camp, which will take place 6th - 18th August in the Elan Valley, near Rhayader. You can find out mor info about it here on my blog.

Comment by Kenon Man on May 29, 2012 at 4:55

Byddwch yn rhan o SgriptSlam Sherman Cymru yn yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol 2012

Fel rhan o’u hymroddiad i ganfod a meithrin lleisiau ffres, mae Sherman Cymru yn gwahodd awduron newydd i gyflwyno sgriptiau ar gyfer eu prosiect poblogaidd SgriptSlam, a gyflwynir yn Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Bro Morgannwg.

Dylai’r sgriptiau fod yn ddramau neu’n olygfeydd deng munud ar gyfer y llwyfan yn y Gymraeg. Dewisir naw sgript i’w datblygu a’u cyflwyno yn Theatr y Maes yn yr Eisteddfod Genedlaethol ym mi Awst o flaen cynulleidfa a phanel o arbenigwyr.

Bydd y perfformiadau yn digwydd ar Ddydd Llun 6, Dydd Mercher 8 a Dydd Gwener 10 o Awst ac ymhob sesiwn gwahoddir y gynulleidfa i ddewis eu hoff ddrama. Bydd pob enillydd dyddiol yn derbyn pecyn o ddramau a’r cyfle i weithio gyda Sherman Cymru i ddatblygu fel awdur.

Dywed y dramodydd Ian Rowlands, cyn-banelydd SgriptSlam, am y digwyddiad:

“Does na’r un lle gwell i weld cyw dramodwyr yn ymarfer eu crefft na yn y Sgript Slam. Mae’r egni yn amrwd a llawn potensial ar gyfer dyfodol y theatr Gymraeg.”

Y dyddiad cau ar gyfer cyflwyno sgriptiau yw Gorffennaf 2, 2012. Yn ogystal, hoffai Sherman Cymru glywed gan actorion a chyfarwyddwyr a fyddai’n hoffi gweithio ar y prosiect: bydd y cwmni’n talu costau teithio a mynediad i’r Eisteddfod i rai yn cymryd rhan. Am fanylion pellach am gyflwyno sgriptiau neu weithio ar y prosiect, cysylltwch â Siân Summers ar sian.summers@shermancymru.co.uk neu Sarah Bickerton ar sarah.bickerton@shermancymru.co.uk

Comment by meredydd barker on May 28, 2012 at 22:42
Comment by Kenon Man on May 27, 2012 at 23:28

ScriptSlam is back this Thursday, 8pm at Sherman Cymru. From over 200 scripts submitted, five scripts have been chosen:

• Colin Dowland
  • Emily Hinshelwood
  • Paul Mackay
  • David Taylor
  • Kate Devlin

You choose the winner and there'll be live music in the foyer. Best to Book in Advance |  029 2064 6900. See you Thursday!

Comment by Terry Victor on May 27, 2012 at 20:43

Two awesome pieces of theatre on in Cardiff this week. Belarus' Free Theatre doing Minsk 2011 at the Sherman (I saw it in Edinburgh with tears in my eyes) - then a few days later when you've had a chance to get over that - Fragments of Ash is doing two nights at Chapter. It's the end of the tour. Try and see both but if push comes to shove we'd really like to see you at Chapter - forget I even mentioned the Sherman.

Comment by meredydd barker on May 27, 2012 at 11:36

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service