Graig Du Theatre Players

Information

Graig Du Theatre Players

The players are in the process of being formed. I will post further updates in the next few days. My intention is to form a community theatre group, with four probable performances a year, to encompass the work of playwrights in the Rhondda as a beginning. Original work will be encouraged. I would like to hear from any members, when I give out further information, if they would be willing to partake in the first staging. This will include actors, actresses, directors,who would be interested in supporting the idea to get valuable experience at the start of their careers. It would be a learning curve for me. I intend staging my play" Sorrow for my Sons" to publicize the group within the next few months. The full version of this play "Painting the Darkness" is to have a performance with the Fluellen Theatre in 2017. The play tells of the mysterious death of William Dillwyn Llewelyn, the eldest son of Sir John Dillwyn Llewelyn, who was found shot dead in the woods of the Penllergare estate on the afternoon of his engagement to Lord Dynevor's daughter in August 1893. The play explores the background to events, the inquest held the following day into his death, and William's friendship with J.Arthur Gibbs, the author of "A Cotswolds Village". I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the late June Lewis-Jones of Fairford, Glos, who helped me considerably with the three-act version of events. After answering my advertisement in her local newspaper, she was intrigued by my discoveries and, as she held Gibbs's diaries in her possession; she was also an author in her own right, she said she would aid me in any way as long as it did not jeopardize her work. June said that I had seen something in the unfolding events that no-one had realized before. Gibbs's strange requiem poem to his dead friend is well worth reading, as is his version, which I believe to be truthful, of the events that took place at Penllergare on the fateful day.

Members: 10
Latest Activity: Dec 11, 2018

Discussion Forum

Street Singers of the Valleys. Gwillym Pen Pwyll.

The one regret my father had while growing up in Dinas was that he did not pay much attention to the stories that were being told. The stories he did tell me were fascinating to the say the least,…Continue

Tags: Du, Theatre, Players, Graig, Pwyll

Started by Glyndwr Edwards Nov 21, 2015.

Unknown Stories from the Rhondda.

Ebenezer Chapel, pictured above before its demolition in the 1960s, was one of the…Continue

Started by Glyndwr Edwards Nov 17, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Graig Du Theatre Players to add comments!

Comment by Josh Edwards on February 7, 2017 at 11:31

I will send the revision soon.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on February 7, 2017 at 3:09

I received the outlines, including the sample script.The only query I have with Jacob's version of "Cap O'Rushes" is that it is very similar to another variant from Britain called "I Love you More than Salt" and "Tattercoats,"Josh.These are definitely the earliest variations on the Cinderella story. There is also a British story that is very similar to Goldilocks: "The Story of the Three Bears. Try and include "The Rose Tree ", so this could lead to other characters being introduced.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on February 3, 2017 at 1:14

Thanks for the articles. They were disturbing to say the least. The idea, while interesting, will certainly be worth exploring. One problem, though, is that it is used repeatedly on television and it becomes tedious because the same stories are repeated in different formats. The Peter Manuel story is a case in point. There were only fourteen murders in Scotland the year he started killing. Why diidn't the police make an arrest when all the earlier evidence pointed to him?

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on February 1, 2017 at 10:47

Thanks. I hope the article on Defeo is included. Speak to you soon.

Comment by Josh Edwards on February 1, 2017 at 9:43

I will send the play tomorrow. There will also be a couple of articles by Christopher Dee that are disturbing to say the least. I also found a copy of Frontier Drums. I watched the programme about the Berwyn Mountains incident two days ago and it is convincing. Joe said the best description of events about the Pontefract Poltergeist is in a book by Colin Wilson.

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on January 31, 2017 at 1:29

I look forward to reading it.

Comment by Josh Edwards on January 29, 2017 at 8:53

I will be sending another one-act play that I read by a friend of mine last week.The premise is so simple that it fooled me with the twist. It is a mystery and uses for the main plot the fact that two trains, up until the 1930s, passed through Pontypridd Station every minute. A murder takes place ten miles away and the suspect is sitting in the carriage of one of the trains. The obvious answer would be that he has  a twin, but this is not the solution.

Comment by Josh Edwards on January 5, 2017 at 8:31

I have forgotten to check a few things recently. Glad the play was as good as I believed. It reminded a lot, with the paranoia of conspiracy, of Beatty's film The Parallax View. 

Comment by Glyndwr Edwards on January 4, 2017 at 5:58

It is an interesting premise to say the least. I was highly sceptical at first about the claim that Richard Nixon made a long-distance telephone call to the astronauts on the moon when they landed in 1969. There are many who believe the landing and the photographs were faked. The idea behind this is convincing because there is so much that is taken for granted about truth and how far can people be made to accept a truth or an untruth, Josh. Thought provoking and likely to raise a few eyebrows is the premise of this play. Remember the old saying: when one is told a lie so often, one begins to believe it.

Comment by Josh Edwards on December 1, 2016 at 9:58

A couple of good conversations about ideas last week and an unusual idea is about to be written down. The antiseptic properties of vinegar I only vaguely knew about. I was soon corrected about this. Before antibiotics were discovered, vinegar was used to treat wounds during the Great War. Its uses are so varied that they have been all but forgotten. I won't give too much away about the tale, but the main character has a fungal infection and decides to drink a bottle of vinegar to cure it. Things, as they say, do not turn out quite as he expected. The new sketches are finished and I will send them shortly. I am still reading the other stories.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service