Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on April 7, 2016 at 10:35

There are so many ways that young people can get involved with City of the Unexpected over the coming months.  Please take a look at the attached links and forward to anyone who think may like to join in - it's going to be amazing!

School_RD_English.pdf

Ysgol_RD_Cymraeg.pdf

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on March 17, 2016 at 11:45

If you are free, please come along to Cardiff Bay this Saturday where we will, as part of the amazing BDP Senedd event, be showing a short film about young people's educational experiences and furthering our Rethinking Education discussion.  We have interviewed pupils from Ocean Park Academy in Splott, Bryn Hafren School in Barry, Mount Stuart Square Primary in Cardiff Bay, Bridgend Home Education Network in Tondu, Castle School in Pembrokeshire, Penrhos Centre in Colwyn Bay and Mess up the Mess Theatre Company in Ammanford. They have each answered questions about what matters most to them when it comes to their education and about what they believe NTW could do for them.  It makes interesting viewing and will help to add to our discussion.  It's quite startling to see how many of them feel that levels and grades are the most important thing about education...

We are so grateful to each of the enthusiastic and engaging participants and to all of their schools, learning centres and parents for their support.  The film will be shown in the Pier Head building at 4pm on Saturday and will later be made available online.   

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on March 4, 2016 at 3:08

This is certainly worth watching!

Changing Education Paradigms. A TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson about why creativity in schools is important. www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_changing_education_paradigms

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on January 27, 2016 at 1:13

Just to let everyone know that the Arts Council is looking for the next group of Creative Agents.  Please get involved if you feel you are able, and please spread the word if you know of the perfect person for the role!  All details outlined below:

‘Arts Council of Wales are recruiting Creative Agents for the next round of the Lead Creative Schools Scheme. The deadline is15th February. Further details about the scheme, the role and the application form can be found here. Should you feel that the Creative Agent role is not for you why not consider becoming a Creative Practitioner – further information about this role can be found here.

Mae Cyngor Celfyddydau Cymru yn recriwtio Asiantau Creadigol ar gyfer rownd nesaf y Cynllun Ysgolion CreadigolArweiniol. Y dyddiad cau yw 15 Chwefror. Ceir manylion pellach am y cynllun, y rôl a'r ffurflen yma. Os byddwch yn teimlo nad yw'r rôl Asiant Creadigol ar eich cyfer chi, beth am ystyried dod yn Ymarferydd Creadigol - ceir gwybodaeth bellach am y rôl yma.’

Comment by Rosemary Anne Brown on January 22, 2016 at 9:46

Dissertation Theatre In Education Project

I am currently studying in Glyndwr university. I am creating a theatre in education show on teaching young children the welsh language. I was wondering if anyone would be interested to see the performance and if so please imbox me and I'll let you know more details. 
Comment by Naomi Chiffi on January 5, 2016 at 1:58

Thank you Michael Rosen:

If you don't know how to use times tables, they're not useful

Out of all the maths that people did at school, 
why do they so often say that the times tables are the most useful?
I agree they can be useful.
If you know how to use them.
If you don't know how to use them
they're not useful.
I also find really useful: 
addition, subtraction, angles, simple graphs, if a plus b = c and a plus b = d then c = d, and symmetry...
I've always liked symmetry.
Comment by Naomi Chiffi on January 5, 2016 at 1:56

Happy New Year everyone!  Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb!  Here's to an exciting 2016 - I just wondered what everyone makes of Nicky Morgan's proposals about times tables? 

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on December 11, 2015 at 1:36

A huge thank you to everyone who came along to our Mid Wales meeting and offered such helpful suggestions, advice and support.  It was lovely to see so many people there and to meet you all.  

In other news, this week I listened to a fascinating documentary on Radio 4 hosted by Robert Peston entitled, "What Should we Teach our Kids?"  If you have the opportunity, please listen to it!

Comment by Devinda De Silva on November 25, 2015 at 0:52
Comment by Naomi Chiffi on November 24, 2015 at 4:52

Hi all, please could I point you in the direction of these great resources - many thanks to Rhiannon for sharing this:

NEW THEATRE ON IPLAYER FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES
Two outstanding new plays made by and for young people are available to view on BBC iPlayer as part of Live from Television Centre.

Both plays are theatrical, bold explorations of what it means to be a teenager in 2015 - and can be seen for FREE for a limited time only.  They're a great way to watch live theatre without leaving your classroom!

NO GUTS, NO HEART, NO GLORY is based on interviews with Muslim female boxers and is about being brave, determined and yourself. It challenges stereotypes and is a positive, unexpected representation of young Muslim women in a world and media which often has very limited representations of the Muslim community. 

Curriculum links: Drama, Citizenship, RE, English
WATCH NOW (skip to to 01:00)

BRAINSTORM is a thrilling exploration of the science behind adolescent brain development, drawing upon life experiences of the cast aged 14-19 and made in collaboration with leading cognitive neuroscientist Professor Sarah-Jayne Blakemore.

Curriculum links: Drama, Science, Citizenship, English

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service