The Opportunity of Efficiency

Information

The Opportunity of Efficiency

April 2013

Inspired by the growth of efficiency as a force for change in society and the influence of big business on national and international affairs, The Opportunity of Efficiency is a story of small lives caught up in a global power struggle.

Bio-scientist Iffy Scott has made a discovery that could save millions of lives – but, it seems, not everyone thinks it’s a good idea.

Alan Harris (writer of National Theatre Wales’ first ever production, A Good Night Out in the Valleys) returns to create the company’s first ever international commission, produced by theNew National Theatre, Tokyo.

Website: http://nationaltheatrewales.org/opportunity-efficiency
Members: 54
Latest Activity: May 17, 2016

To stay up to date with the show, and follow NTW staff members on their adventures in Japan, we've created a Storify Story of all the tweets and updates from Tokyo. 

Read it here

Discussion Forum

This group does not have any discussions yet.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Opportunity of Efficiency to add comments!

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on March 27, 2013 at 1:43

This story was made into a movie with Richard Gere, Hachi: A Dogs Tale, ashamed to admit its the most I have ever cried at a movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

Comment by Michelle Carwardine-Palmer on March 26, 2013 at 22:18

Heichiko used to wait for his master at the station every evening when he was due to come home.  One day his master didn't come home but Heichiko continued to wait every night for over a decade! There is nothing more profound that the loyalty of a dog - Gelert, from Beddgelert, protecting his master's baby (although that didn't end well for Gelert or his master when he found out what he had done!) or Bobby of Greyfriars in Edinburgh who guarded his masters grave for 14 years.  Our dog would wait for a bit....until someone else gave her a biscuit and then that's where the loyalty stops!!!

Comment by abdul shayek on March 26, 2013 at 20:34
Comment by abdul shayek on March 26, 2013 at 19:53
Comment by National Theatre Wales on March 26, 2013 at 5:09

The Efficiency Playlist  just keeps getting better. Thanks Alun for introducing me to Sweet Baboo.  I'm loving Let's Go Swimming Wild - how did I not know that song?  And for something very different and very classy - Tom Jones covering Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song - thanks for that one Sian.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on March 26, 2013 at 5:02

Here's the real link to Alan's blog. (Clearly he was trying to hide it!)

Comment by National Theatre Wales on March 26, 2013 at 4:46

Week Three Rehearsal blog (and some nice Cherry Blosson pics!) here

Nice track Alun

Hannah, do you have any particular tracks you'd suggest - particularly on the angry metal front?  

Comment by Katherine Jewkes on March 26, 2013 at 4:42

Hi All, If you'd like to read about my preperations for coming out to Tokyo, you can read my latest blog here: Packing light-ish

I'd love to hear if any of you have any recommendations for good Apps/ Tech to use/ places to visit while I'm out in Tokyo!

Kx

Comment by Alan Harris on March 22, 2013 at 1:43

Nice one Alun,

I also like their Lingobingo:

http://www.myspace.com/mattoidz/music

Al

Comment by Michelle Carwardine-Palmer on March 22, 2013 at 0:57

So alongside the making and presenting of a show I have been busy making sure we are connecting with the right people and nurturing relationships both here in Wales/UK and Japan.

To date, to name a few, I have had;

• Meetings with Welsh Assembly Government, Arts Council Wales, Wales Millennium Centre, BBC Wales and some movers and shakers in the Japan/Wales business network
  • E-mail correspondence with British Council (Wales, London and Tokyo), New National Theatre Tokyo, British Embassy (London and Tokyo), St David's Society (Tokyo and Kansai), Japan Society, Welsh Government in Tokyo, Welsh Culture Ministers, Clwyb Hyreth, Japan Foundation, Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, Nippon Foundation, Daiwa Foundation & their Scholars, Japan-British Society, School of Oriental & African Studies, Japan English Teachers Scheme, TPAM, Tokyo Metropolitan Theatre, Setagoya Public Theatre and some Japanese creatives who are well connected theatre makers

It's been busy as well as a slow process with the time delay and trying to reach the right people. Japanese business étiquette means that you have to be introduced to people rather than contacting 'out of the blue'.

Other business etiquette advice has included; accepting a business card with both hands and offer yours with both hands.  You must also give the business card due respect and take in the information at leisure - DO NOT shove it in your back pocket or bag as soon as you have received it - this is disrespectful.  A small nod on acceptance of a business card is also advisable.

The act of gift giving is also a big deal in Japan.  It is not the value of the gift, it is the act of giving and that the gift must be wrapped to eliminate any awkwardness.  The wrapping is the most important bit of the gift. If you receive a gift you are not expected to open it there and then....take it home.

Whilst the Japanese business world is becoming more diverse I have also been told not to be offended if I am expected to pour the drinks at a reception or a meeting.  Personally I don't see an issue with this so long as I get some and in my experience if you have a direct hold on the bottle you're more likely to get a decent measure! So happy all round I say.

Also, don't blow your nose on a handkerchief...use a disposable tissue, eat noodles as noisily as you can and make sure your socks are robust.

Sayonara for now

Members (51)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service