The Peoples Think Tank

Information

The Peoples Think Tank

The People’s Think Tank is an interdisciplinary group of problem-solvers; artists, NTW TEAM members, members of the communities of Wales

The Think Tank’s aims are to:

• give a collective voice for the people of Wales, around issues of democracy and politics, arts and culture;
  • pursue tangible outcomes from the Big Democracy Project;
  • encourage a new collective voice; and to
  • help shape the next phase of The Big Democracy Project.

They will do this by:

• working within the Big Democracy Project to listen and contribute to conversation;
  • learning, analysing, and sharing ideas online;
  • holding periodical online debates;
  • presenting some of their findings to the National Assembly in March 2016;
  • react to government policy, proposals, papers and recommendations; and
  • influencing the direction of the Big Democracy Project;

If you’d like to join the People’s Think Tank, please contact Gavin Porter at gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org or 02920 353 070.

There’s no criteria – anyone can become a member, anywhere in Wales.

Members: 50
Latest Activity: Feb 16, 2017

Discussion Forum

When will the Establishment and party leaders hear the cry of the voiceless? 2 Replies

I spoke to a young British man the other day who was born and raised in Wales and who's children are born and raised in Cardiff ' who said to me I'm having sleepless nights lately as I'm worried…Continue

Started by Yusuf salaban mohamed. Last reply by Yusuf salaban mohamed Apr 23, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Peoples Think Tank to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 1, 2015 at 3:10

Here is another great talk from Satish Kumar and as Bill Hamblett pointed out in another group http://www.emergence-uk.org/ are producing a crowed sourced documentary about Mr Kumar.

Comment by Gavin Porter on October 1, 2015 at 3:07

Hi everyone. The proposal submitted by Mess Up The Mess has been chosen for the west Wales round of the Big Democracy Project, the idea is titled 'Are we just another tick in the wall?' and some of the question MUTM are interested in exploring are:

WHO IS OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM REALLY SERVING?

HOW CAN WE CREATE EDUCATION THAT IS RELEVANT AND USEFUL TO THE FULL SPECTRUM OF YOUNG PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN WALES?

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO A ONE SIZE FITS ALL EXAM BASED SYSTEM?

This event will be taking place in Ammanford in mid November (date tbc). When I first read their proposal it reminded me of the amazing TED talk below. 

Comment by Gavin Porter on September 30, 2015 at 0:35

Hi everyone. The proposal submitted by Mess Up The Mess has been chosen for the west Wales round of the Big Democracy Project, the idea is titled 'Are we just another tick in the wall?' and some of the question MUTM are interested in exploring are:

WHO IS OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM REALLY SERVING?

HOW CAN WE CREATE EDUCATION THAT IS RELEVANT AND USEFUL TO THE FULL SPECTRUM OF YOUNG PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN WALES?

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO A ONE SIZE FITS ALL EXAM BASED SYSTEM?

This event will be taking place in Ammanford in mid November (date tbc). When I first read their proposal it reminded me of the amazing TED talk below. 

Comment by Bill Hamblett on September 16, 2015 at 23:33

Small World Theatre has been without broadband connection for almost 2 weeks. So for us this online voting system has been severely disrupted by BT, The Phone Co-op and Openreach.

As you may know we have a track record of presenting to the House of Commons and to committees making policy at Wales Government in Cardiff, as well as our theatre for development in Africa, Asia and the Middle East with the United Nations, the British Council and other agencies.

As it is so late in the game we implore you to vote for us in this National Theatre Wales Big Democracy project

SO DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FOR US... please

Comment by Chris Tally Evans on September 14, 2015 at 21:12

In The Big Democracy Project at Llandrindod Wells, I said in my piece that the United Nations was to take the unprecedented step of investigating the UK Government for human rights abuses against its own citizens, in this case Britain's disabled people. This would be the first ever UN human rights abuse investigation of a Western democracy. At the time I was worried that this was just internet gossip and that I might be accused of scaremongering, but look and maybe sign the petition...

https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-david-cameron-mp-implement-the-reco...

Comment by Laura Fay Thomas on August 10, 2015 at 0:54

Hi everyone, it's #ntwGreenWeek so I'd like to focus on how we can support Food Banks locally, and across Wales. We'll be collecting at the office this week, read more in my blog HERE x

Comment by Gavin Porter on August 4, 2015 at 2:43

Hi all, we are now accepting ideas for the west Wales round of the Big Democracy Project. I'll be travelling around west Wales in the coming weeks so please get in touch if you'd like to meet up.

https://www.nationaltheatrewales.org/big-democracy-project

Comment by Lindsey Colbourne on July 28, 2015 at 0:24

Balancing current and future needs (e.g. as raised by Gavin re: economy or Gerry re: S Wales coalfield/global warn(m)ing) could be a topical focus - April 2015 saw the passing of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act

This Act (and the commissioner who is meant to act as a 'guardian' of it) is meant to be the coming of age of the Sustainable Development duty (which was also a world first, but sadly didn't really turn out to make much difference). Here's the job advert for the commissioner …. perhaps its time to find ways of making it more than a bureaucratic process!

Another thought:

Anyone have any experience of verbatim theatre as an approach? (eg http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/featur...)

Comment by Gerry Gold on July 23, 2015 at 19:52

The idea of an Estonia-style enactment is creeping into and taking over my brain!

I went to see the NT's staging of Caryl Churchill's Light Shining in Buckinghamshire re-enactment of the English Civil War/Diggers etc recently. Very powerful.

Looking forward rather than backward could be excellent. Maybe the Assembly for Democracy could decide to take control of the S Wales coalfield and revoke all extreme energy drilling licences as a step towards ending/reversing global warning?

Comment by Gerry Gold on July 23, 2015 at 6:18

One part of the answer to Gavin's what kind of economy' question could be : one that is democratically controlled.

If you're interested in considering what a real democracy would look like, and how we might bring it into existence, please take a look at this invitation to help plan an Assembly for Democracy in Swansea on September 11th.  

If you're interested in attending please register via Eventbrite here.

Members (49)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service