The Peoples Think Tank

Information

The Peoples Think Tank

The People’s Think Tank is an interdisciplinary group of problem-solvers; artists, NTW TEAM members, members of the communities of Wales

The Think Tank’s aims are to:

• give a collective voice for the people of Wales, around issues of democracy and politics, arts and culture;
  • pursue tangible outcomes from the Big Democracy Project;
  • encourage a new collective voice; and to
  • help shape the next phase of The Big Democracy Project.

They will do this by:

• working within the Big Democracy Project to listen and contribute to conversation;
  • learning, analysing, and sharing ideas online;
  • holding periodical online debates;
  • presenting some of their findings to the National Assembly in March 2016;
  • react to government policy, proposals, papers and recommendations; and
  • influencing the direction of the Big Democracy Project;

If you’d like to join the People’s Think Tank, please contact Gavin Porter at gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org or 02920 353 070.

There’s no criteria – anyone can become a member, anywhere in Wales.

Members: 50
Latest Activity: Feb 16, 2017

Discussion Forum

When will the Establishment and party leaders hear the cry of the voiceless? 2 Replies

I spoke to a young British man the other day who was born and raised in Wales and who's children are born and raised in Cardiff ' who said to me I'm having sleepless nights lately as I'm worried…Continue

Started by Yusuf salaban mohamed. Last reply by Yusuf salaban mohamed Apr 23, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Peoples Think Tank to add comments!

Comment by Sophie McKeand on July 23, 2015 at 0:20

I'm absolutely in agreement about the Unified Estonia piece. Wow. Wish I'd been part of that. Love the film - "if you don't deal with politics then politics deals with you". Exactly.

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on July 22, 2015 at 9:17
Comment by Gavin Porter on July 22, 2015 at 3:37

The RSA presents the RSA's Chief Executive’s Lecture 2015 

The 2008 crisis has subsided. The UK economy, we are told, is thriving, but from low pay to inequality to sustainability, a conventionally successful economy fails to align with long-term human flourishing.

How might asking ‘what economy do we want?’ enable us to look again at radical ideas for economic reform, and how might new forms of engagement help us think and act more boldly?

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on July 13, 2015 at 9:37
Comment by Lindsey Colbourne on July 10, 2015 at 0:18

Unified Estonia is genius! Politics as theatre, theatre as politics, the people restored at the heart of both... I've been a bit involved in the setting up of a new political party in Yorkshire, Yorkshire First and the problem with it is that it still has to operate within the existing (failed) system. Unified Estonia gets around all that by exposing it while bringing enormous energy and creativity to it. I love it! Others are thinking about the failed system, see for example http://treatyforgovernment.org/

Comment by Martin Daws on July 9, 2015 at 21:48

I like that Unified Estonia idea. Could we do it? Cymru Ymuno

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on July 9, 2015 at 19:51

Hi Gav, I suggest you connect with the Zeitgeist Movement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/104282302969121/

Comment by Gavin Porter on July 6, 2015 at 23:58

NO75
UNIFIED ESTONIA
ASSEMBLY

NO75 Unified Estonia (directed by Semper and Ojasoo) was a fictious political movement created by Theatre NO99 that a large portion of the public treated as a real political force. It lasted 44 days, during which various political technologies were introduced. The project ended with Unified Estonia movement assembly, with more than 7500 people attending. It was one of the largest theatre events in contemporary Europe.

Unified Estonia is considered by many to be the most extraordinary in form and the most intriguing in effect of the productions of Theatre NO99. On March 24, 2010 – roughly a year before the next parliamentary elections – Theatre NO99 called a press conference announcing the creation of a new political party under the name of Unified Estonia. The party had a visual identity, an anthem, slogans, everything. And there they were – the actors, in suit and dress, and they sure did look and talk like politicians. What followed in the next six weeks was an artwork that was both an interesting example of political theatre and a radical reinvention of the possible role of performing arts in contemporary democratic societies.

„Unified Estonia“ was a hyper-populist party that was everything for everybody. It used every trick from the populist handbook, copying from existing parties and manipulating the media. With numerous interviews, press releases, poster campaigns and scandals it was constantly front page news. Within a short time span it managed to theatralise the whole society, exposing the hidden mechanisms of populist politics to a very wide audience. 

So was it politics or "just art“? Nobody really could tell. Some experts predicted that „Unified Estonia“ would get 20% of the vote at the next elections. Which kept many politicians in various parties extremely nervous. 

Idea, concept and production Tiit Ojasoo and Ene-Liis Semper

On stage Rasmus Kaljujärv, Eva Klemets, Risto Kübar, Kristel Leesmend (guest appearance), Andres Mähar, Jaak Prints, Gert Raudsep, Inga Salurand, Tambet Tuisk, Marika Vaarik, Liina Vahtrik (guest appearance), Sergo Vares and many, many others.

Consultant Daniel Vaarik

"Ash and Money" / "Kust tuleb tolm ja kuhu kaob raha" from Teater NO99 on Vimeo.

Comment by Ceridwen Powell on July 2, 2015 at 4:54

Hi Gavin

From a disability perspective there are some organisations who could be invited to be involved in some way - Disability Arts Cymru, Disability Wales, Disability Powys, Mind Cymru.  I will probably be on ITV Wales news next Wednesday, commenting on George Osbourne's changes to Working Tax Credit, which he will announce that day, and which are expected to hit the disabled and the low-paid very hard.  best wishes, Ceridwen. 

Comment by Gavin Porter on July 2, 2015 at 4:11

Thats 30th July

Members (49)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service