We’re Jenny and Lydia and we’re Arts and Creative Officers at Wales Millennium Centre
For the past few months we’ve been working together on a really exciting project and we’re thrilled to share more information about it with you all...
Saturday March 5 will be Women of the World Festival- Caerdydd and will see us taking over our front of house space and Weston Studio to host some of the most incredible women with talks, performances and craft activities suitable for all ages.
WOW Festival was created at the Southbank in 2011 to mark the centenary of International Women’s Day by Jude Kelly the Artistic Director there. Since 2013 we’ve held an annual WOW Festival- Caerdydd and this year we’ve absolutely loved bringing together a really exciting programme that we hope you’ll enjoy and come and get involved in.
Easy for us to say, we know. So, we’ve come up with 10 reasons for you to make your way to the Bay and celebrate WOW with us this year….
- It’s a wicked week for women: 5 March- WOW, 6 March- Mother’s Day and 8 March-International Women’s Day.
- 2015 Welsh Music Prize winner: Gwenno will be DJ’ing from the balcony and sharing some of the coolest tunes with us.
- We’ll be holding a Speed Mentoring session; musical chairs style. Giving you the opportunity to meet women from all walks of life, careers and ages.
- Gillian Clarke, Dawn Foster and Laura Bates will all be giving talks in our Weston Studio for free. Due to capacity limits- you’ll need to book a ticket which can be done by clicking here. But don’t worry if you can’t, we’ll also have a limited number available to book on the day.
- Cardiff based artist, Helen Bur has created a beautiful mural that will be painted onto our walls front of house not only celebrating WOW but marking the opening of our new musical Only The Brave, later in March.
- We’ll have free performances throughout the day from India Dance Wales, Ify Iwobi, HMS Morris, Songbirds Choir, Taiko Drummers and Lara Lee.
- We’re giving you the opportunity to help us shape the future of WOW- Caerdydd with an interactive lunchtime- Thinkin. (This is pay what you can, so you’ll need to book in advance- Chef needs to know how much food to make!)
- There’s loads of free family friendly craft activity for you to try out at our WOW Market
- We’ve got a quick fire WOW Bites session in the Weston Studio where we’ve challenged 5 inspirational women to share their story with us in just 5 minutes.
- Last, but by no means least: Women are amazing. WOW is the best kind of excuse to get together with the Women you care about most and celebrate, question and inspire one another- but most of all- have some ruddy good fun.
So, we hope this inspires you to come on down and celebrate with us- we can’t wait!
Hwyl am y tro
Jenny and Lydia.