Last year I wrote a blog post called Manifesto for a Reimagined World.  I had spent the earlier part of the year working on a production of Julius Caesar that I directed.  I wanted to get people engaged, through that play, with the political process. Not in a party political way or over specific issues, but simply engaged.  To make them see that politics and the way in which a country is run, is important to everyone in that country.  I believe that we cannot ignore culture when it comes to politics (it's interesting that our current government, is so afraid of the power of culture that they are trying to remove it from schools, universities and generally push it to the margins).  Our underlying understanding of society, history, and politics is formed largely through culture rather than direct political engagement or study of history or sociology texts.  It is important therefore to look at that culture and see whether that ongoing underpinning is favourable to the kind of society that we would all (well almost all) like to see - a fairer more equal society - where women played an equal part and ethnic and other minorities were also given their due access to opportunity across the full scope of society.

In the UK, in particular, our understanding of history is often guided by the fictionalised versions provided by Shakespeare and in my work I have focussed on some of the most seminal plays in his cannon as targets for reimagining.  Thus in Julius Caesar I was able, by setting it in a modern context, to make many of the key parts women - why not? In the modern world women ARE powerful politicians (Hilary Clinton, Angela Merkel..).  They work with men - all male or all female productions are to my mind artificial - they do not reflect our own world.  By using the twitter feed I was able to democratise the voices of the play, giving minor characters much more to say, via Twitter, thus providing a balance to the hero-worshipping aspects of the writing.  

I want to continue this work, I have in my sights: a celtic female warrior Macbeth, a steam-punk space war version of Henry V, a new reading of Taming of the Shrew and Othello.

Now I just need the means - to help me towards this I have set up the Possible Theatre Collective - this is designed to be a loose support network of like minded people - Emma Burford, one of the members is interested in relooking at and making more accessible Greek myth and drama.  

This kind of theatre needs to be culturally central - not on the fringe - and for that we need money, grants and support - actors SHOULD get paid - technical crew SHOULD get paid.  The audience wants this work - feedback from Julius Caesar and more recently the Tiny Play Festival I organised tells me this.  

Culture can make a difference, theatre can make a difference.

Views: 185

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Deborah Mason on February 22, 2013 at 23:38

Thanks guys for your comments.  It is really great to know that people think this is a good idea.  I am particularly heartened by the fact that a lot of people who have offered support are men.  Its good to know that both men and women think we need a more equal society! The manifesto is on my blog site www.debdavemason.com 

Comment by Franklyn Jacks on February 22, 2013 at 3:14

This sounds very interesting indeed. I too am an Actor that envisions a better way for society to exist, mostly one where greed and greedy people do not rule the day. I also believe Theatre has the potential to change the world with endless possibilities. I would be very interested in reading your manifesto if possible and learning more about your work. Thankyou.

Comment by Charlie Elliott on February 20, 2013 at 22:17

This sounds like a great idea. I remember seeing an RSC production of Macbeth where they had many different ethnicities and nationalities and "Scotland" became a metaphor for a free place rather than the country. Why not do the same for gender? I'm interested in getting Involved in some way, if I can- let me know if I can help.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service