Young Critics Review: Sister Act by @SisterActAber

Sassy, Soulful and Spectacular.  ‘Sister Act’ at Aberystwyth Arts Center is the feel-good musical of the Summer that will have you dancing in your seats. Based on the 1992 film starring Whoopi Goldberg the show follows club singer Dolores Van Cartier after she witnesses a murder by her gangster boyfriends hands is put under protection by a local run-down convent, with obvious clashes and drama as a result.

Set in the 70s, David Shields’ portrays a spectacular image of the 70s with velvet suits, giant platform shoes, glitter and a lot of hairspray which makes the contrast between Van Cartier’s World and the Convent’s gothic and modest surroundings much more obvious. However, the changes between these two worlds were quite sloppy as there were a few delays and slight crashes between set changes which was disappointing.

With a strong lead, Jenny Fitzpatrick is full of sass, confidence and has a powerful voice that has the entire audience rooting for Dolores throughout the show. Helping Miss Cartier is sweetheart Eddie Souther (played by Aaron Lee Lambert), the timid police officer who wins our hearts and protects Dolores from the evil gangster Curtis Jackson. The role of the Villain, Curtis Jackson is played brilliantly by Robert Grose who brings charisma and charm to the stage with highlights to his solo ‘When I Find My Baby’  that is cool yet incredibly intimidating.

The biggest stars of the show were of course the nuns themselves, with Lori Haley Fox playing the devout yet slightly witty Mother Superior and Natalie Harman as one of the strongest comedic reliefs playing Sister Marty Patrick. Most of my attention on the night was given to Jodie Jacobs who plays the timid Sister Mary Roberts who breaks out of her shell and wow’s the audience with a voice that will give you goosebumps.  

Music from Disney favourite ‘Alan Menken’ Sister Act is a show that will get you up and dancing, with an incredibly talented cast and a beautiful set ‘Sister Act’ is a show you wouldn't want to miss. 

Views: 217

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service