some fragments from a scratch performance of 'five broken cameras, in the language of grasses' devised on summercamp 14

In the second week of NTWSummercamp 2014 I became faced with the question of how to make work in such a beautiful, secluded and peaceful place, whilst keeping a consciousness of the news coming in of heightening conflicts elsewhere in the world. I took the further question of 'how to respond' on a repeated walk through the landscape. From this dialogue with the landscape I devised actions, shot video diaries and wrote texts, and these were pieced together with memories from the film 'five broken cameras' to create scratch of this solo performance. Heeran and I shared our process together whilst she also made a solo response 'the 8 minute world' (a video installation/action). The text included here is transcribed from a video diary, the text in grey denoting a measurement of the space of the silence between the words.

Scene 3: the dry riverbed

Scene 4: the first field

the land is scorched                                                                        it’s quite barren ‘n’ its definitely not thriving its definitely not thriving its definitely not th I think that these grasses these grasses these grasses that seem to have sprouted up amongst the the the barrenness are also not thriving yet   they’ve survived they’ve survived they’ve survived they’ve survived a thrashing   and yet they’ve still sprung up sprung up sprung up sprung up spr distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds distributing their seeds dis still here still here still here still here still clean green growth within growth within growth within growth within growth within growth within somewhere even in this harsh mind/land

(photos by Catrin Clarke) and thanks to all the summercampers and visitors to summercamp whose presence, conversation and collaborations contributed to this devising process in so many ways. 

Views: 141

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service