Peter

• Playing age mid - late 30s
  • Native Welsh accent ( preferable but not essential)
  • Previous theatre acting/film experience
  • Experience of devising and collaborative theatre/film making would be desirable 

We meet Peter as he is going through a mid-life crisis. He has lost direction in his life and is feeling alone and disappointed. Peter experiences an epiphany whilst alone at home and this is where his desire to go to Cuba is born. He visualizes the hot, dusty Havana streets bursting with soul and life and feels an overwhelming pull to go back for a reason or purpose that is unknown to him until he meets Yeny. 

When Peter meets Yeny his life begins to have meaning and he is eager to start planning for a future with her despite all the obstacles they have to face along the way. However, unbeknown to Peter it is not a present obstacle that he faces for the future but a figure from Yeny’s past that brings them to a crisis with devastating results. 

I am meeting with theatre and film production companies to develop the project further whilst applying for funding via the Film Agency Wales and Arts Council Wales. I am only able to cover travel expenses at this stage of the development but I am happy to travel to meetings in your location whilst awaiting news about funding.

This is a passion project and has been in development for the past 2 years. I have a clear vision of the potential for the production. I believe Besame Mucho has a universal appeal as it touches on many political, social and cultural issues relevant 21st century Cuba.

There is also a Cuban/Columbian band on board who will be narrating through song and performing their exciting original score throughout the show.

I have included the synopsis below and if you have any questions then feel free to drop me a line via NTW or contact me directly via email on daniellefahiya@hotmail.com

‘Besame Mucho’
(Kiss me a lot)

Based on a true story, Besame Mucho tells the tale of Yeny and Peter; a young Cuban woman and a Welshman and how their worlds collide when they meet and fall in love. Political and Social tensions play a huge part in the love story providing mystery and danger to the plot. Besame Mucho was conceived while advisor on the project Jonathan Moss Vernon, travelled frequently to Cuba over a 10 year period. Jonathan contacted Danielle Fahiya a Cardiff based Actress and Model to see if she would be interested in writing and acting in the project. Danielle had first been involved with Cuba when she started modelling for Jonathan’s Cuban jewellery online store back in 2006.

In 2002, we meet Peter at his flat in Penarth depressed and alone, thinking about his past failed relationships and mistakes in his life that has brought him to this point. As he is standing in his kitchen washing his dishes he suddenly has this magnificent vision of a street in Havana, this vision is so overwhelming and takes him from feelings of despair to euphoric happiness. Peter becomes consumed by the vision and persuades his cousin Mike to go on a holiday with him there 4 months later. Peter feels that there is something in Cuba for him a pull, a need to go there and when he meets Yeny he understands why. Set in Havana, music and dance are an essential partner to the story. Salsa and Regatton provide the main genres of music which will be performed throughout the show by ’La Renta‘, comprising of a 5 piece band hailing from Cuba and Columbia who will also take on minor roles and narrate parts of the story.

On his first night in Cuba Yeny and Peter meet and have an undeniable attraction and remain inseparable from that moment onwards. Besame Mucho details their relationship over a 12 month period and the ups and downs of the problems they face along the way. Racial, social, cultural, political differences and tensions in Cuba, all make for a bumpy ride but Yeny and Peter seem determined to not let that stand in the way of building a new life together back in the UK. Told from Yeny’s perspective we see the ongoing struggle she is living in and how strong and determined she is to create a better life for her and her son Hector. However, when a betrayal comes from a closest friend and a figure from Yeny’s past resurfaces, rumours and childhood traumas come back to haunt her. As this unfolds we begin to see the breakdown of Yeny and her relationship with Peter ultimately leading to tragedy.

Views: 179

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service