‘People know, you’re my boy… You are safer here with me, than you have ever been’

Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to Gary Owen’s ‘Iphigenia In Splott’ which premiered here at the Sherman in May, Sherman 5 arranged a visit to see Gary’s next play ‘Violence and Son’ at the Royal Court, London.

‘I was so impressed with Iphigenia in Splott when that was in The Sherman , so much so when the opportunity arose to see Violence & Son I immediately said yes!!’ Michelle, Sherman 5 member.

Amongst the lively travellers were Sherman Cymru friends; actors, writers, critics, Sherman 5 members and Sherman staff. Spirits were high as we left Cardiff, many of us saying that we felt like we were on a school trip.

excited

Staff at Royal Court were friendly and welcoming; answering questions and telling us about the history of the building. On one of the hottest days of the year so far, Ushers were on hand to provide a bottle of cool water at the top of the stairs. The Jerwood Studio space is located in the rafters of the original theatre but was thankfully air conditioned. It was a sold out performance, with the audience seated in the round. This seating arrangement really added to the tension and unease as play progressed.

‘I like how life relating it was also how easy to follow it was it had my attention throughout’ Cheri, Sherman 5 member.

The actors were kind enough to come back out into the auditorium after the performance to have a chat to us, and take photos. They were really interested in the Sherman 5 project and how time-credits worked.

siwan

Michelles Royal Court photo

platcripts

Despite a slow journey back to Cardiff, and a long day, we’ve received some brilliant feedback from all involved.

‘All in all I had A Top Class Day Thanks to Sherman 5 & Mr Guy O’Donnell Diolch Y Ti’ Michelle, Sherman 5 member.

If you’d like to read more about the show, reviews can be found below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-reviews/11658941...

https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2015/violence-son/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/revie...

Cast: Jen – Morfydd Clark, Rick – Jason Hughes, Liam – David Moorst, Suze – Siwan Morris

Creative Team: Director – Hamish Pirie, Designer – Cai Dyfan, Lighting Designer – Lizzie Powell, Composer & Sound Designer – Mark Melville, Assistant Director – Roy Alexander Weise, Casting Directors – Amy Ball & Louis Hammond, Production Manager – Jessica Harwood, Fight Director – Brent Yount, Costume Supervisor – Holly White, Stage Managers – Jules Richardson & Kate Wilson, Stage Management Work Placement – Oana Birgean, Set Constructed by Ridiculous Solutions, Scenic Artist – Sarah Hall

andwe'reoff

Sherman 5 is a project funded by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation, at the Sherman Theatre.

Views: 208

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service