Konnichiwa!!

A bit more than a year ago I had the opportunity to collaborate and illustrate visually Yo Nakamura visit to Wales and her searching to understand the meaning of welsh word, Hiraeth. Resulting on this film (link) and a dance performance presentation to an small audience at Market House in Chapter.

The project is continuing that research and thanks to the support of Welsh Arts International and Waleslab, I am writing this post from Nagaoka, Japan, Yo's birthplace.

I landed in Japan 1 week ago and since we have been recording some memories of places where Yo have lived in Tokyo. But the centre stage of this project is Nagaoka where via interviews to locals, visiting and rediscovering the town, Yo is building up her Hiraeth, that nostalgic home she can not return.

The journey so far has been well worthy,  I have been recording from a 5th floor edge, avoiding some security to get the right spot and cycled the surrandings of Nagaoka, all in all with the aim to produce a film at the end of the journey (a continuation to the first one ) as well as dance performance that will be presented at Yokohama Brick Warehouse, Tokyo. Which will be recorded and share via social media.

Tomorrow is our last day on Nagaoka and we have a tight recording schedule before heading back to Tokyo where editing planing will start.  I will try to update on our return to Tokyo the project developments as well as the journey, if the internet connection Gods are with us.

Views: 214

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Catrin Rogers on October 19, 2015 at 5:40

Lovely pics, Jorge!

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service