Ladies and gentleman, introducing your warm-up act for the evening, the fringe to the fast-approaching Before I Leave festival…

Since the outset of 2016, we’ve been hard at work on a side-project to the main #NTWBefore performance… I’ll Sing this Song. Led by the playwright Patrick Jones, funded by the Baring Foundation and run through National Theatre Wales TEAM.

The project sets out to be an echo of the Before I Leave performance; reverberating throughout Wales and beyond with the aim of helping ‘the words live’. Spreading the song and the sentiment of the play with the support of those at the heart of its story. Embracing the power of song and its ability to stimulate emotions, enhance connections & invigorate a community.

Partnering with choirs at three locations stretching the length of Wales (Wrexham, Brecon and Barry) whose members live, laugh and sing with Dementia. Each stop on the tour; a series of sessions, the singing of songs old and a very special one new, that progress towards the performance of ‘Before I Leave’ (written especially for the play by James Dean Bradfield & Nicky Wire of the Manic Street Preachers). Guided by our Musican/Composer and choirmaster Ben Tinniswood.

As these rehearsals progress, choir members share personal stories of their most resonant musical memories; in a writing exercise with Patrick that grows and becomes the song of that choir, which is then set to music and performed by the group.

Having adopted us as honorary members, the choirs at Wrexham, Brecon and Barry have pitched the first note. Starting a sound wave that we hope can spread far beyond even the furthest earshot of Ben; as part of the project’s further life on film and online.

Each session and experience, captured by Kym Epton of Red Cell Films in a film that will document our progress; conveying the essence of the project and the stories of those at its core. This footage will then in turn become a key part of an online digital resource; feeding an interactive hub for the I’ll Sing this Song project.

Extending its reach, the resource will amplify our voice online. Sharing its message with an ever-expanding audience. Encouraging ongoing engagement with the material. Helping increase understanding and raising public awareness of the condition of Dementia. Making further connections and building even stronger links together.

Users will be encouraged to engage with the material already created and participate themselves by uploading videos & images of their own sessions, performances and memories. This contributor content will then in turn become part of the showcase; and the song will reverberate on and on…

But that’s for later, for now, our ensemble are already in full chorus at Wrexham and Barry, with more sessions to come in Brecon in the following weeks. Each tour stop has been greeted with such fervour, energy and enthusiasm; a welcoming cast of diverse characters and personalities worthy of any script. Each visit assuring that with support and encouragement, people with Dementia can & do take an active, engaged and positive role in life. Evidence that its not time to hide away from the subject, its time to sing…

Thankfully (with my voice), I’m just taking photos…

---

Personally & professionally the past few weeks have been the culmination and fulfilment of a lifelong fandom, growing up in the South Wales Valleys of the 90s, it was the music of the Manic Street Preachers, the play ‘Everything Must Go’ (my first experience of attending theatre – at the Sherman Theatre in 1999) & the poetry collection ‘Fuse’ by Patrick Jones that fuelled my creative development & artistic expression. Opening my eyes to countless influences & inspirations that would weave themselves throughout my life. Giving me a voice that would in turn allow my own to be heard. Thirteen years ago I completed a university ‘Final Project’ on the poems collected in ‘Fuse’, and in a moment of life’s circularity that I can still scarcely believe, it has been such a pleasure to be a part of this exciting & important project. Thank you. March on!

Views: 236

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service