Before I Leave .. I'd just like to say -

thanks for the memories!!

Now that our time in the Chorus for Patrick Jones' brilliant production is ended, one or two of us (you know who you are) are undoubtedly missing the 'roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd'. Yes, I know that's a misquote. I'm just lapsing for a nostalgic moment there into my former role as a ditzy older lady in an oversized green jumper ..

In the theatre itself I remember I was struck by the power of clothing, and body language, facial expression and posture, to transform the experienced and very talented actors we were alongside on the Sherman stage, into people other than themselves, and so convincingly; helped of course by a great script. I enjoyed watching them work at such close proximity, and wondered how they managed to throw off the mantle, and slip the skin of their on -stage characters, at the end of a performance when real life is resumed.

Backstage, we dwellers in the 'orange corner' (referenced in my earlier blog) found an echo of the script. Being mostly unknown to each other at the start of rehearsals but through the weeks of singing, getting lost and found in the underground corridors, story sharing, tea drinking and biscuit munching, managing to come together as a choir of 'crazy people' with a common purpose; to make a contribution to a high quality production with an important message for society.

New friendships have been forged over those impossibly pink wafer biscuits (thanks Dennis, haven't eaten those since my birthday party, age 7), and ideas for new projects discussed.

There are too many individual recollections to share here, so sadly it's now time to say 'goodbye to all that'.

Probably to the relief of my long suffering neighbours here in Westgate St. who one day shared with me that they were up to speed with 'Poker Face' and 'Hurt' but needed a bit more practice (through the wall) to master all the lyrics of the title song 'Before I Leave,' and could they please be excused 'Calon Lan' on account of them being from Lancashire.

Well who knew my voice carried that well?!

Goodbye for now and a HUGE thank you to everyone involved in 'Before I Leave' at NTW and WMC, and at the Sherman..

It's been SO good !!!

Views: 129

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service