Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Roger Williams on December 9, 2011 at 8:28
You can join the Guild as a candidate member for £100. And yes,when we held a meeting for writers specifically to talk to writers who were non members to act on issues raised on this site only one writer who wasn't a member of the Guild turned up. If you want to see change, you've got to get involved.
Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on December 9, 2011 at 6:41

i enjoyed that, tim - ta! x

Comment by Lisa Parry on December 9, 2011 at 4:08

Maybe if there was a way of attending meetings etc without being a member? I wonder whether that would tempt people. And if the meetings were advertised on fbk/twitter etc? They may already be but I'm in both groups and don't see them. I bet a lot of people would go then and end up joining. Especially if they were able to table things to discuss. Realistically a lot of very broke actors pay the full Equity rate each year. I can see an objection to this though, if you're paid up etc. But yeah, if not that, the answer is beyond me too.

Comment by Tim Price on December 9, 2011 at 3:55

Hi Lisa, yes I think ultimately it's a cost thing - if you could get in for £20 I think there'd be a surge in membership, but then not the finance to resource the support all those members need. The answer is beyond me.

Comment by Lisa Parry on December 9, 2011 at 3:47

Hi Tim,

Yeah, I think you're probably right. One of my friends is really active in Equity and there's been a campaign on this whole issue. It's led to a lot of writers I know feeling a bit peeved - hence the union grumblings I've been picking up on.

I think the fact is if everyone was in the Guild, we'd have the same clout eventually on issues like this. I do think something needs to be done to encourage (I hate this word) 'emerging' artists to join and really feel that they can take part in the union and help change things. A lot of people are prepared to join the Antelopes etc at the moment who are really political and want things to change, but yet they're not joining the Guild. There does seem to be a perception issue. The candidate membership fee is still quite steep and I think that may put a lot of people off. 

Comment by Tim Price on December 9, 2011 at 3:36

Hi Lisa,

Yes there is an issue with the writer always being the one on the fringe expected to go without. I suspect Equity's agitating on the fringe, is down to Equity members going through Equity channels with their complaints (see 503...Drywrite etc) . I'd suggest any perceived lethargy on WGGB's part is actually down to a lack of members reporting this issue. And this will be a problem because fringe plays will employs actors at all stages of their career and all ages so will get a lot of Equity members. Fringe writers nearly always tend to be young, and emerging, who often (hello Brad!) haven't heard of WGGB or more likely, have heard and find the cost prohibitive.

Perhaps Rog, there's an opportunity for the WGGB to offer some kind of 'discount emerging membership' fee.

Comment by Lisa Parry on December 9, 2011 at 3:14

Hi Roger - no I do know and believe that it does a lot. I just think there are some areas where there are specific gaps. Notably on the London fringe. Equity's been really vocal on this - that all actors should be paid in fringe productions. Indeed, the 503 now I believe insists on this. There's no such agreement for writers. In many fringe productions, it's the writer who doesn't get paid or who gets paid the least. Also, I think that in terms of its rates of pay etc, the Guild hasn't really kept up with the development culture which, for good or ill, has taken hold. I'm not saying this is all the Guild's fault at all - I think Tim's completely right, a lot of it is about joining the Guild and raising these points and pushing them to be addressed. But I've had a lot of conversations where writers have said that they didn't see the point because, unlike Equity, the Guild didn't seem interested in the side of things that wasn't established productions. I'm not saying that's fair, I'm just saying that's the perception of a lot of people out there and whilst I do think everyone should join (I used to be a member myself and am planning on rejoining), I just think that the odd comment on these perceived gaps might encourage a lot more people to do so. 

Comment by Roger Williams on December 9, 2011 at 3:05
I'm sorry Lisa but I must challenge you on the idea the Guild doesn't do as much as Equity for its members. The Guild has been going for over fifty years and operates with a staff of 4 people. We have a membership of just under 2,000 members. We achieve a hell of a lot with very little resources. We have an active membership who campaign and organise meetings. If you feel there's a deficit I would encourage you to join and get stuck in with the work we do.
Comment by Brad Birch on December 9, 2011 at 2:52

Absolutely agree with that, Tim.

I'm completely guilty of it myself. Well, this is where we learn, isn't it?

Will be joining in the new year. 

Comment by Lisa Parry on December 9, 2011 at 2:06

Totally agree. I think the odd more militant line here and there would help this happen, but yes, 100% with you on this.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service