Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Matt Ball on March 1, 2012 at 22:39

Thought this cash award might be of Interest...

The School of Media & Performance at University College Falmouth is pleased to announce the opening of this year's Nick Darke Award. The award will continue to celebrate the best writing for stage, screen and radio with writers having the chance of winning £6000, a £3000 increase on previous years.

This year's judges include; Jeremy Howe, Drama Commissioning Editor for Radio 4; Molly Dineen, a BAFTA and Royal Television Societyaward-winning UK television documentary director, cinematographer and producer; Roger Michell, the theatre, television and film director who directed Notting Hill and Sebastian Born, the Associate Director (Literary) of the National Theatre London.

In the first instance submissions are invited for an outline and 20 sample script pages of work that will be considered by a selection of readers. The eight shortlisted writers will then be judged by a panel before the winner is announced in October 2012.

Writers are asked to submit work on an environmental theme in recognition of Nick's lifelong commitment to this issue. The word environmental may however be broadly interpreted.

Full submission information available to download at http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/nickdarkeaward

Comment by meredydd barker on February 29, 2012 at 1:29
Comment by meredydd barker on February 18, 2012 at 3:32

re competitive rhyming. Welsh ministers, sons of the soil, many of whom were from west Wales, go to America - black slaves go to church and are taught to sing hymns and spirituals by said ministers - black slaves adopt the minister's surnames (no it wasn't Welsh slave traders) - hymns and spirituals mixed with the west African Griot tradition along with work songs in the Mississippi delta - emancipation - the blues - jazz poetry - beat poetry - Gil Scott Heron.... I think you know where I'm going with this.

Comment by Lisa Parry on February 18, 2012 at 3:31

Thanks John. If anyone wants to follow the Q&A tonight on twitter, we're going to live tweet it. Follow #a160qa from about 9.30pm.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on February 18, 2012 at 2:56

Good luck for tonight Lisa

Sam - it sounds like it was a good collaboration.  Do send me some more of your work to read at some point if you'd like 

Comment by Sam Burns on February 18, 2012 at 2:52

Ah, that's down to Nicola, not me - it was written quite generically (actually more with a Cardiff accent in mind at first), and what didn't work in a Glasgow accent was tweaked by her.

Comment by Lisa Parry on February 18, 2012 at 2:51

Hi John - thanks for your kind words. Really pleased with how it went! Just tech-ing the next six for 7.30 tonight before taking the show to London, then Glasgow. I thought it was really fascinating how the audience responded to the different pieces. A few Scottish people were in and laughing more at the Scots ones etc! Showed we had a good cultural mix and that it's fab to expose different audiences across the UK to different work I think. Probably was the accent a bit, combined with it being the first one and people not sure what to expect. Will report back on different reactions to the plays from across the UK! Lisa. 

Comment by National Theatre Wales on February 18, 2012 at 2:43

Well you've got a great ear for a bit of Scottish dialect!

Comment by Sam Burns on February 18, 2012 at 2:34

No, no - I've lived most of my life in Cardiff (though did go to Swansea uni), but have been staying in Scotland for the past few months. The piece was cast and rehearsed in Edinburgh.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on February 18, 2012 at 2:28

Sadly won't catch the pieces tonight Sam, let me know how they are.  Are you from Glasgow then?  I had you down as a Swansea writer.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service