Hi everyone!

I am currently the Promoter for NTW17 A Provincial Life which will be hitting the Sherman theatre from March 1st. We have already started advertising the event but are now looking for all your guys thoughts and ideas on how we can make this an exciting event around Cardiff?

How do we market and attract interest for a traditional piece of theatre? What would people like to see happen?

We will potentially be looking for some TEAM members to get involved and help spread the word so if you are interested don't hesitate to get in touch!!

It is not often we get Peter Gill in his home town of Cardiff so lets make him feel welcome.

If you have any creative ideas we want to know!!

Views: 351

Replies to This Discussion

I'm very excited about NTW17 A Provincial Life too, and seeing the revamped Sherman!

Social networks will definitely be key to attracting interest. Luckily NTW has a well established online Community. It would be great to see some videos/ guests blog posts/ podcasts etc on here to help promote it. Maybe even a live blog...

It will be interesting to explore ways to get the local community and also students interested and involved with this too.

Other ways to really attract some attention and make it an exciting event around Cardiff could involve organising marketing stunts/ flash mobs (or even ‘flash theatre’??).

I may be stating the obvious here, but freebies/ leafleting/ competitions and so on are worth a look-in.

Hopefully chat to you in more detail about this soon Anna. Looking forward to hearing about other peoples’ ideas too!

hey all,

so yesterday was the first day of the ensemble for NTW17 A Provincial Life and i was in absolute awe of all the amazing acting talent present. if things keep going as well as they did on saturday then i can guarantee its going to be brilliant. my first time meeting Peter Gill too and witnessing his brilliance. i found it truly inspiring to see such a master at work. watching the vision take shape is fascinating.

as for promoting it around caerdydd, yeh i think social networking is a good way to go (woo go NTW online community!), also, as Bethan mentioned, students would be good to get to come and watch so i suggest putting stuff up to advertise in the SU next to the Sherman. also in Newports Riverfront Theatre and the Dolman Theatre too. a little video of something (not a clue what) could be posted online for all too see too :) 

hope this helps

love love,

Ryan x

Morning Everyone,

I think that Bethan and Ryan have some really great ideas.

Definitely, social media. I think it is a great tool for breaking down boundaries and reaching people who maybe wouldn't come and see something like this. Having read the short story, the relevance of the piece is resounding and I think it discusses an issue that a lot of people are facing today (like Anna pointed out in her blog entry) and social media would be a great way to share this relevance with everyone. A lot of a the time I think Chekov is given a bad name about being old fashioned and boring and I completely disagree with this. I love the characters he creates, they are fascinating and sometimes quite comical. I think we need to really open up the production to people and share with them its relevant and why the production is what it is (design elements, directorial decisions, some thoughts from the actors without giving anything spectacular away), I think this helps people to feel ownership and also demystifies the process, making going to the theatre (an unusual space for NTW productions) and watching Chekov a little less daunting.

I'm loving the flash theatre idea! Can you imagine the characters from the production in costume invading Cardiff city centre (doesn't have to be just Cardiff) on a weekend (could be a weekday, but I think more people will be around at the weekend) . . . just walking around . . . having a shop . . . going for lunch . . . visiting the library . . . etc (nothing too gimicy). It would be amazing to see the public's reaction and a soft way to promote the show. Instead of pushing flyers in people's faces we could have a table with flyers about the show and TEAM representatives talking about it and NTW. We could get some press coverage for it.

Or there is an empty space in the St David's 2 complex which I've seen used for creative things . . . could we set up a make shift Russian coffee house (a space from the show, having the feeling and aesthetic of the show) in there and invite people in for coffee/tea and Russian biscuits with the characters. It'd be a bit of an installation and we could have the TEAM members with NTW brochures and flyers set up there as well . . .  I don't know . . . I'm having a crazy morning . . .  

Just some ideas . . . I think this is going to be really fun :) 

Sarah

Don't forget schools/colleges.

Teachers will alert pupils to these events and given enough time will organise trips. Spread the info far and wide-those of us who live (and/or work) way outside Cardiff area will travel further than you might think for good theatre!!

Think Sarah's russian Coffee/Tea house is great.

Well its now March 5th -- it has happened and it worked -- well from where i was looking it worked. I saw lots of people, spoke to some  ----was wowed by the pre performance--- loved the performance n left as always after a powerful presentation--on a high-- thanks so much for the invitation the whole event was so worthwhile and all your  efforts in bringing it about are appreciated

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service