One of the things I've asked our Creative Associates Catherine and Mathilde to look at is how we create 'theatre of debate'. In recent years there has been a fascinating movement in theatre around debate, discussion and exchange of knowledge. Well known examples include Open Space workshops, particularly the 'Devoted and Disgruntled' sessions that Improbable Theatre have run. In Berlin, one of the most fascinating companies is the Mobile Academy, which runs the 'Blackmarket of Useful and Non-Useful Knowledge' where, rather than watching a show, each audience member books a series of 15 minute one-to-one sessions with experts in every imaginable subject (and remember we are all experts in something, so this is not an academic project). In New York, Foundry Theatre has been combining some of the best experimental theatre in the world with a series of political and social 'town hall' meetings for many years - building a different kind of theatre community. I'd be really interested to hear people's ideas and experiences around theatre and debate.

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David and Louise, thanks for these thoughtful posts. Louise, I think that whatever our job is as artists, perhaps the 'catalyst for change' question is one that we must ask ourselves as people!

Both your posts focus on the public realm, and this is really useful I think - debate or discussion not just as a way or airing an issue, but as a way of gathering the public - in all their wonderful diversity - into the shared place of ideas, passion, and vision.
John, I don't really understand your reply regarding the 'catalyst for change' question... or the implications of what you are saying? Is there, in your view, some kind of separation between ourselves as 'people' and ourselves as practitioners of art?

I'm reminded of when I was researching for the BOY GENIUS project, and I was asking scientists to speak about their ethical position with regards to certain research developments into behavioral genetics - and the potential application for uses of social control - and one scientist asked me whether I was asking him as a scientist or as a man?

It seems to beg the whole question of our 'job as artists'.... a fascinating question in itself. (and one with lots of differing opinions I'm sure...)

By the way - have you been to see the Bansky exhibition? Definitely worth a trip over the bridge. I was intrigued by the way he'd created something so contextual - so that everyone became engaged with the task of looking for meaning amongst the regular museum exhibits - and reflecting on them in an entirely new way.... There was something very 'theatrical' about the encounters between exhibit and 'audience'...and much debate going on between strangers! There was such an exciting diverse mixture of people attending....one very elderly lady I spoke to said she'd lived in Bristol all her life - and this was the first time she'd managed to get her husband into the museum! .... and the title of the exhibition is: Banksy versus Bristol Museum.
I guess I meant that if I'm thinking whether I need to be a catalyst for change, I ask that first and foremost as a person living in this world. The way i which I answer affects what I do artistically, but the impact on artistic output might or might not be obviously political. Does that make sense??

Really want to see the Banksy. Do you know when it's on till?
Hmmmnn. Think I know what you're getting at...
Banksy is on until the end of August I think - get there early. Museum opens at 10.00, but queues start building from about 9.00. Look out for Tweety Pie - and spend a bit of time looking into his eyes...
went to THE PEOPLE SPEAK in london at the games fringe last year. the show, for those who didn't see it, took the form of a game show style debate about what to do with the £2000 we had 'created' by all paying £10 to get in. what was amazing was how the audience became the spectacle - (ably guided and supported by our hosts), and how, despite some fairly wild ideas being put forward, we as a group made deeply unremarkable collective choices. we cannot blame anyone but ourselves...first time for a very long time I woke up the next morning thinking about what i'd seen/done/learned in a theatre performance.
Thanks for this John. The People Speak have been coming up a lot in discussion lately. A really interesting model, even if, as you suggest, it all sometimes reveals our limitations rather than our creativity!
Know nothing of the groups you mention - sound v interesting - but debate is the lifeblood of all theatre. I feel it should be bedded in narrative and character though - the passion of the audience invoked to interact with story, producing arguments, expressed or silently felt, informed by human predicaments. The profound ritual roots of theatre make it a powerful medium to provoke debate which goes further than the intellectual, ego-led discussion of every-day life - the universal brought to bear on the immediate through sympathies and feelings profoundly wrought. We respond more deeply to debate when we're active participants, rather than spectators - finding the form which will allow interaction and opening while retaining the ritual control - a challenge. So little is shared culturally - where do we start?
Sorry only just finding my way round this site - should write something more responsive when I've had a chance to digest these fascintating contributions. Obviously bi-lingualism is a hugely exciting place to start on opening up perceptions and ideas.
Great to hear your ideas Eirwen. Do you have any examples of events or shows you've been to where you had the kinds of experiences you are talking about?
Debate?
Come to Angry School?
http://www.homeofthebewildered.com/
Stay Mad Get Smart
Am very angry that I will miss this!
I work for a touring theatre company in London, and over the last 21 years we have created a Theatre of Debate model - commisioning plays on ethical, moral and social dilemnas and issues, and both performing the plays to audience, and following them with debates afterwards. Most of our recent plays have focused on scientific and medical issues (clinical trials, animals in medical research etc). Alot of our work has been with schools audiences, although we do perform to adult audiences as well, and last year, following a national tour looking at stem cell research we bought students from all around the country who had seen the play and had the debate in their individual schools together to megadebate at the Royal Albert Hall, which we hope to do again.
You might be interested in looking at our website: www.theatreofdebate.com

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service