Brothels and Biscuits?! - NTW Y2 Wrap Party

Late on a Saturday night, whilst enjoying a bowl of Honey Cheerios, I received a rather exciting email from a one Miss Anna Poole. The email, after much love sharing, asked if I would like to be part of a core team of people who were creating the NTW Y2 Wrap Party.

"Excellent," I thought, "the Y3 Launch party was great fun. I'd love to help out and be able to give something back to the people who have supported me as both an artist and person."

I immediately emailed back expressing my willingness to help and was given the role of Assistant Tech.

"Great," she said, "be at Loudon Square at 12 o'clock on Tuesday 29th"

So Tuesday came. The meeting started as any conventional business meeting would. There was a rather large table, oddly harsh lighting and, true to form, NTW had provided the tea and biscuits. After sharing names and origins things turned rather dramatically. The devising quickly progressed to a post-it frenzy, Devinda De Silva in tights and TEAM members sitting in a dimly lit brothel on John McGrath's lap. These are some of the many amazing ideas which are helping to shape your amazing TEAM Y2 Wrap Party. I mean, whats not to love about the idea of "McGraths' Grotto" where you can go and have a tea and a natter with the wonderful man himself?!

But don't despair yet, fellow TEAM enthusiasts! With the incredible directing skills of Catherine Paskell we were able to start creating a truly exciting event. Catherine has a way of creating great collaboration within a group and helping us to understand that sense of "why" we were doing it. Many a tear was shed when we shared our journeys, from start to present, with NTW. Indeed, the passion and devotion of the TEAM members present came to such a climax that we were forced to take a ten minute break to calm our emotions in order to compose ourselves and be able to continue.

In all seriousness, it is already shaping up to be an event which absolutely every member of TEAM will love and feel a part of. With the dedication of a great design team (Buddug James Jones, assisted by Colleen Lynch), a Director (Catherine Paskell, assisted by John Williams) whose vision and people skills are so strong, a stage management team (Kyla Miller, assisted by Christina Handke) who are completely on the ball and extremely talented and diverse performers for the day (Frank Thomas, Khethiwe Ncube, Liam Roberts and Maeve Scullion), it is, without doubt, going to be a party to remember. You know it's gunna be a corker when the most frequently used words of the day were "interesting", "exciting" and "brilliant". So, in the rather cheesy words of Take That, "it can only get better"!

Dont forget, you can follow all the action from our updates on Twitter using #NTWTEAM. We're constantly posting rehearsal pictures and other great bits on there so join the hype and get watching!

P.S. this is my first ever blog, so a big thank you to Catherine Paskell for motivating me to write it, and another special thanks to Christina Handke for providing me with inspiration as always ;)

Views: 430

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Justin Teddy Cliffe on January 30, 2013 at 7:24

This is great! I wish I could make it! But unfortunately I can't! My stupid friend is getting married. Ass hole. This sounds pretty awesome though! :( but :)

Comment by Jen Thornton on January 30, 2013 at 1:59

Excellent blog writing, can't believe you haven't done this before! Thanks for sharing an update and giving me the (in equal parts amusing and terrifying) vision of McGrath's Grotto. 

And mention of the biscuits seems to be a running theme in blogs about working with NTW. Standard. 

:)

Comment by Catherine Paskell on January 29, 2013 at 23:44
Fantastic blog post, Ryan. It really captures your voice and encapsulates the day perfectly! Keep blogging, you're a natural! Xx
Comment by Buddug James Jones on January 29, 2013 at 22:59

No chocolate digestives...they can get messy in brothels.

Comment by Christina Handke on January 29, 2013 at 13:36

When we started this morning, I didn't have a clue how exciting the wrap party is going to be. Brothel AND Biscuits???? 
I'm so in...

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service