Information

WalesLab

WalesLab is no longer receiving submission. This page is an archive and a place for dicussion on previous WaleSLab projects.

If you'd like to get in touch with someone about WalesLab, please contact Simon Coates, Creative Associate. 

For more info on the projects we've supported you can see the links on the right hand side. 

You can join the group to be kept up to date about projects as they continue to change and to see notifications of future opportunities.

Members: 472
Latest Activity: Dec 13, 2017

WalesLab information

WalesLab was NTW's initiative for supporting emerging artists and new ideas for performance. This is a group and discussion forum for those artists involved in WalesLab or those interested in learning more about the various projects under development.

WalesLab consisted of:

Summercamp:        

A summer camp for up to twenty theatre makers and artists of varied experience to share ideas, learn form each other and stimulate new collaborations and projects (watch the video below to find out more).

WalesLab projects -

Small groups working for around 1-2 weeks based somewhere in Wales.

Germinate:    Three times a year small groups of artists will be offered the opportunity to spend around two weeks somewhere in Wales developing an idea or project which they have already begun working on, and will share their work with a local audience. There will be three Germinate projects a year, one of which will have an international element.

WalesLab is no longer open for new submissions. Have a look at the 'Your Work' page on the NTW website to find out about how to share your ideas with the company.

Discussion Forum

"Red Dragon and Soil Traveller" got two prizes in Japan!! AND, WANTED!!

Hello! I am Yasuro Ito in Tokyo,Japan. I am a theatre director and writer of…Continue

Tags: producer, wanted, international, musical, japan

Started by Yasuro Ito Oct 26, 2016.

Company Workshop with Award Winning Familia de la Noche Theatre

Award Winning Company Familia de la Noche are running a company workshop at Chapter Arts Centre on Tuesday 24th November, running alongside performances their 5* show The Greatest Liar in all the…Continue

Tags: cardiff, chapter, physical, clowning, workshop

Started by Becca Cox Oct 27, 2015.

Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteer OpportunitiesThis autumn The Abacus on Wood Street welcomes:The Cardiff Christmas Bazaar!In conjunction with Somewhereto_, ProMoCymru, The Modern Alchemists and National Youth Theatre…Continue

Tags: freebies, experience, cardiff, support, creative

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

ONiiiT is back!Back by popular demand, after a successful set of workshops,…Continue

Tags: skills, cardiff, fun, workshop, fundraising

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of WalesLab to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on September 16, 2013 at 2:07

NATIONAL THEATRE WALES and PeerGrouP

ARTIST DEVELOPMENT RESIDENCY 

National Theatre Wales are partnering with one of The Netherlands' leading theatre companies working in site-specific theatre: PeerGrouP. Together we will be offering a 5-day artist development residency looking at the approach, in-depth methodologies and ethos of this forward-thinking company. Artists will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in PeerGrouP’s unique practice and find ways to apply it to their own work.

PeerGrouP say:
"Instead of focusing on what to make in situ, we focus on how to make in situ. How does an artist develop a creative/artistic process, which really connects to and is specific for the site where you're working? These workshops are a way to learn to look at a location with new eyes, but also at your own way of creating work." 

We are looking for 8 artists from Wales, working in any discipline with a performance element to their practice, to join PeerGrouP in Powys between 13th and 16th November. Your travel to and from the residency will be provided as well as accommodation for the duration. 

To apply please send an expression of interest (text or video link) outlining:

• Who you are
  • What you do
  • Why you would like to be involved
  • Links to where we can find your work online

Email Gavin Porter by 12 noon on 27 September.

Comment by Fiona Watt on September 15, 2013 at 20:20

Thank you to everyone who took part in WSD and to Simon and John for coming along to meet some of our companies from FOUR in The Marketplace.

Comment by Alison Neighbour on September 15, 2013 at 8:12

We tested our project The Walking Trust at World Stage Design 2013 on Friday. Despite the rain, it was a fun afternoon telling people about the project, and we had a lot of interest from fellow theatre makers and members of the public alike. It was particularly exciting to be promoting the project in an international setting. Special thanks to the WSD team for the loan of a marketplace cart for the afternoon. We now have around 50 people from across the world in possession of our special Walking Trust postcards, and we're looking forward to receiving their responses in the post or by email. We also premiered the high-tech version of the project through our new app, created by Ben Gwalchmai, which allows participants to listen to the walking prompts on their phones or ipods. We'd love for more people to test out our app and let us know what you think - instructions for downloading it are below, along with a few pictures from the day.

1. Download the AppFurnace app
2. Load the app then add The Walking Trust app test by URL, this URL: http://the.appfurnace.com/test/EF9HB/
3. Thereafter, select your script and start walking.

Comment by Alison Neighbour on September 12, 2013 at 11:11

Hello Waleslab people!

We'd like to invite you to join us at WSD2013 on Friday (13th Sept) to help test out our Waleslab project The Walking Trust. We'll be manning a market stall in or around the foyer at RWCMD between 2.30 & 6pm, and we'd love to see you.

The concept is simple - you select an envelope containing a set of postcards, and you go for a walk with them. The cards will give you provocations  - perhaps an image, perhaps a poem, perhaps a set of instructions. You respond to the provocation in whatever way you choose, and you can also document your responses to add to our database of Walks. Your walk can be as long or as short as you'd like it to be. We have a low-tech version with physical cards, and also a brand new app for you to try out. 

Hope to see you there!

www.thewalkingtrust.org

Comment by Simon Coates on September 6, 2013 at 1:57

Artists and Writers...

We think it's about time we give our Guidelines for Artists a little revamp!

This is where we outline how we want to work and strike up conversation with the artistic community of Wales. It's really important that you have an opportunity to tell us how you think we should do this. And this is it!

Have a look at the link and feel free to feedback your thoughts to me. Questions would be just as helpful as statements!

Please get your thoughts to me before 20th Sep so we can make any changes and roll it out before Oct.

Comment by Simon Coates on September 5, 2013 at 22:21

Hi Kelly - great news about the Ideastap shortlisting. We'll keep our fingers crossed!sx

Comment by Kelly Jones on September 5, 2013 at 5:58

Hey Waleslab,

I just found out that I have been shortlisted for the Ideastap Innovators Fund with the project that WalesLab kindly helped me get started a few months ago. I wouldn't have applied for the Ideastap fund if Waleslab didn't give me the confidence, time and support to find out what my idea really was before just writing it off. I am very thankful to WalesLab and would suggest anyone apply :)

Comment by Fiona Watt on September 5, 2013 at 1:08

Thanks Simon,

It would be great if you could come and meet us at one of our group sessions during the week. Wednesday 11th, Friday 13th or Saturday 14th would be great.

We are usually meeting in the morning 10 - 11.30 but let me knnow your availability and hopefully see you tonight. Fiona

Comment by Simon Coates on September 5, 2013 at 1:02

Hi Fiona

I'd be very happy to meet with any of the companies interested in WalesLab - i already know a couple, but please pass the message on.

Looking forward to seeing Who's Afraid this evening!

sx

Comment by Fiona Watt on September 5, 2013 at 0:14

Hello Everyone, I am curating a project at World Stage Design called FOUR

http://www.wsd2013.com/whats-on/four/ which is bringing together emerging companies from around the world and here in the UK who are at least four years into professional practice and are experimenting with design and media led performance.

I am really keen for them to know about Wales Lab and you to get the chance to see their work.

Take a look at what's on offer via this link.

We are offering 1 complimentary ticket with each ticket bought - with most tickets at only £ 6 we hope you will come and join us.

Please quote WSD FOUR as the offer when calling Box Office: +44 (0) 2920 391391 .

Look forward to seeing you there,

Fiona

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service