Last year I had a one minute play performed in a festival in Noo Yawk, so here's a (borrowed) idea: a writers' self-indulgence, sorry - festival, of very short works where the only thing in common from one piece to the next is a limited number of key stroke characters [stage directions and musical annotations included]. The compendium of works would be an extraordinary clash of ideas... A play with 200 characters, anybody?

Views: 688

Replies to This Discussion

Joyous,Ian! But I am duty bound to point out (i) you've only spent one hundred and eighty something characters (the spaces are free on the grounds that they'd be there anyway if you hadn't put letters on top) and (ii) you are untitled, which is obviously the perfect opportunity to take up the slack - and, perhaps, give a clue to any subtext...
And David, I really like the darker pieces, thank you, what's it called? By the by, I couldn't be arsed to count your characters but I am happy to tell you that UNTITLED counts as 8.
Welcome to what is rapidly becoming an obsession.
Hi Terry, title for my short piece is: 99%. That's 3 more characters.
Ian
99% genius, 1% sweat. Bravo. TVx
LIFECYCLE

Sc.1. A BOWL. TWO GOLDFISH SWIM.

A. Ah, a new face! I’m George.

B. Nice to meet you.

A. Must rush.

B. See you around.

Sc.2. SAME BOWL, SAME FISH.

A. Ah, a new face! I’m George.

B. Nice to meet you.

A. Must rush.

B. See you around.

THE END (?)
Hey Mark, is this a subtle commentary on recycling? One thing is certain: it's one of the pieces I really want to see on a stage. Even more than that I want to see the actor playing goldfish B ask about motivation. Take care. TVx
Hurrah for all these latest additions. I'm particularly liking the use of stage directions (not often you hear a director say that!)
COYLE IS TIED TO A CHAIR.

LYNCH Say it. Say it again!

COYLE Cheer up. It might never happen.

LYNCH And with those words you smirched and enfouled my whole night.
Which is why you must die.

LYNCH UNDOES HIS BELT AND WRAPS IT ROUND HIS HANDS. BLACK.
What's the title? Is it the first stage direction?
The reason I am banging on about titles is that I am trying to archive all the pieces as this compendium grows and titles make it a far more appealing list... TV
Take BLACK. from the end and put SMILE! at the beginning. Simples.
Dunnit! Damn, you're good.
I'm sorry, I know quantity doesn't go hand in hand with quality but these short pieces keep popping into my mind. This one was drafted on a train from London to Brighton and I hope that this time I have saved it a readable format.
Guardian and Independent readers excepted, here is a health and safety warning: contains langauge of an asteriskable nature. TVx
Attachments:
And still they come...

You may recognise yourself in this piece Terry although I believe there is a certain universality about it as well.

FOTO ID

Act 1

PC So Mr V? Painter or paintee?

TV The world is round and flat. You decide.

Act 2

PC Your ID remains fugitive. Artist's cap & brush? Or costume & goatee?

TV The old rules no longer apply. I am neither. Merely 200 pixels of both.

Curtain

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service