Last year I had a one minute play performed in a festival in Noo Yawk, so here's a (borrowed) idea: a writers' self-indulgence, sorry - festival, of very short works where the only thing in common from one piece to the next is a limited number of key stroke characters [stage directions and musical annotations included]. The compendium of works would be an extraordinary clash of ideas... A play with 200 characters, anybody?

Views: 688

Replies to This Discussion

It's like you are documenting your life...
This piece grows out of NOWHERE: NOW HERE (see Catherine Paskell's blog... and see you on Friday)
Attachments:
Another go. Probably more of a sketch. Probably stolen.

1ST DATE

A: So - do you come here often?

B: No. No, I don’t. It’s the unhappiness, you see. The unhappiness turns to bitterness turns to emptiness turns to wickedness. So I stay in. Just in case.

A: OK. Erm... nice shoes.

B: I’m not wearing shoes.
Total empathy with 'B'. Is it OK to be left wanting more in this
medium? Perhaps a series featuring the same character.
The medium is ours to play with, O cloven hoofed fellows. I'm fascinated that the possibility of symbols and colour, emoticons and numerals, typestyle and so on is not being explored/exploited. Within the parameters of this form the process appears deeply conservative. Not a bad thing - but fascinating. Try writing one in a word document and see where it goes. It's very easy to upload. Very.
O & Mark, a series featuring the same character? Aren't you already in everything you write?
Are you calling me a goldfish?
Is that a carp?
Bowled out.
The 200 character play WHY ARE YOU HERE? will form part of the text for this week's RESPOND2 at the Vulcan. Check Catherine Paskell's blog for the times and stuff. Hope to see you there - it's free. TVx
well here it is, after many changes. Will be interesting to here interpretation of what the writer hears in her head.
Attachments:
There's a lot going on in this piece, much more than just the surface conversation. There's love, obsession, friendship, patience, cruelty, age and despair - and more. It's a very honest piece. Welcome to mini-world, Gerri.
200 CHARACTERS

A
So you’re sure?

B
I’m sure.

A
How sure?

B
Certain.

A
100%?

B
200%!

A
Impossible!

B
Why?

A
100% is everything there is. You can’t multiply everything there is by 2. That’s absurd!

B
Pity. I need at least another 100 characters.

END

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service