Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on December 16, 2013 at 6:52

Did any writer go to this at the Finborough in Sept? 

This is what they discussed over the three days - interesting

EIGHT BURNING QUESTIONS ABOUT PLAYWRITING

Wednesday, 11 September 2013 at 9.00pm

1. Are monologue plays proper plays?
With Elizabeth Kuti (playwright), Glyn Maxwell (poet and playwright), Rebecca Prichard (playwright) and Stewart Pringle (playwright, theatre critic for Time Out and producer of the London Horror Festival)

Thursday, 12 September 2013 at 9.00pm 

2. Is theatre that doesn't try and change the world a waste of time?
With Adrian Jackson (Artistic Director, Cardboard Citizens), Zoe Lafferty (playwright and director, Associate Director, Freedom Theatre, Palestine) and Shamser Sinha (playwright).

Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 9.00pm 

Post Show Discussion on New Writing and Irish Theatre
With Aideen Howard (Literary Manager, National Theatre Society at the Abbey Theatre, Dublin) and Chris Campbell (Literary Manager, Royal Court Theatre).

Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 9.00pm 

3. What do Literary Managers and Dramaturgs actually do and whose side are they on? 
With Chris Campbell (Literary Manager, Royal Court Theatre), Francis Grin (Literary Manager, Finborough Theatre), Mel Kenyon (Literary Agent and former Literary Manager at the Royal Court Theatre), Reen Polonsky (Senior Reader, Finborough Theatre) and Brian Walters (Deputy Literary Manager, National Theatre).

Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 9.00pm

4. Is UK theatre insular and out of touch?
With Dr. Clare Finburgh (Senior lecturer and expert in French and UK performance, University of Essex), Professor Dan Rebellato (playwright and academic, Royal Holloway College, London) and Mona Becker (dramaturg and writer).

Friday, 20 September 2013 at 9.00pm 
5. Is the theatre institutionally both sexist and ageist in its attitude to playwrights?
With Nell Dunn (playwright), Neil McPherson, (Artistic Director, Finborough Theatre) and Louise Monaghan (playwright).

Wednesday, 25 September 2013 at 9.00pm

6. Is there a place for the very short play?
With Matt Applewhite (Managing Director, Nick Hern Books), Declan Feenan (playwright and curator of the Miniaturists), Flavia Fraser-Cannon (producer and curator of the Miniaturists) and Lucy Skilbeck (theatre director).

Thursday, 26 September 2013 at 9.00pm 
7. What are the worst mistakes a director can make when working on a new play?

With Clare Lizzimore (playwright and director), Emma Faulkner (director) and David Mercatali (director).

Friday, 27 September 2013 at 9.00pm 
8. Do workshopping and script development processes help or hinder? 
With Chris Foxon (Producer, Papatango Theatre Company and the Papatango New Writing Prize) and Corinne Salisbury (General Manager for Nabokov, Pieces Productions, Theatre Uncut and Forward Theatre Project).

Comment by Kelly Jones on December 16, 2013 at 6:28

Come support the Sherman Young writers group

Thursday 19th , 6:30pm, this is a free event

On This Ground

By Sara Hawys, Kelly Jones, Rhys Matthews, Anna Poole, Jonny Holden and Jonathan Macho

As part of the Sherman’s 40th Birthday celebrations, six young writers have penned an ambitious new play.

On This Ground covers 1000 years in 60 minutes - all set on the patch of ground on which the Sherman theatre now stands. The six funny, touching and in turn sharply observed scenes feature a wealth of characters as we speed through the centuries to the present day. The play was written following a series of writing workshops with playwright Alan Harris.
Comment by Franklyn Jacks on December 12, 2013 at 6:28

Hello one and all

I hope you're all well. Over the festive season i'm looking to get my creative juices flowing so if there are any budding scriptwriters out there who have written a script and are looking for readers then by all means send them along to me, I'll read ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Being an Actor i'd just like to re-visit that feeling of reading a story from scratch and trying to find the character's voice within me.

Please email them to me on here or to franklynjacks@yahoo.co.uk I mean it literally ANYTHING.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year

Franklyn Jacks

Comment by Timothy Collins on December 10, 2013 at 2:43

Hello all. 

Tonight, 8pm at Porters Bar in Cardiff, a Boxfull of Comedy shall be hosting an evening of live sketches, stand up comedy, music and general festive galore loosely based on Aladdin. We really have established a solid group of both writers and actors so it would be really good if you came down! 

Thanks! 

Comment by Gavin Porter on December 2, 2013 at 1:02

Hi all, on Thursday 5th at 4pm in our offices NTW will be hosting a creative visit by Rhiannon and Evie from Common Wealth Theatre Company who produced 'Our Glass House' amongst other things . So if you'd like to hear more about their work please email me gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org to let me know that your coming along.

http://www.commonwealththeatre.co.uk/  

Comment by Rowena Louise Bernice Scurlock on November 27, 2013 at 22:27

Morning writers!

My name is Rowena Scurlock and Leftfield Theatre is organising a fundraiser which is going to be held on the 19th of February @ Gw di hiw café bar in Cardiff.

What I need are six short scripts based on the seven deadly sins (ones taken by myself) about ten minutes long and they can be in any genre. Please send your scripts to leftfieldtheatrecompany@gmail.com and we will get back to you as quick as we can.

Thank you!!

Comment by Timothy Collins on November 26, 2013 at 3:39

Hello all. 

I am currently writing a stage piece short I was just wondering whether anyone could help me? I am screen writer mainly and a rubbish one at that so theatre writing is relatively new to me and my young smuckey ways. I just wanted to ask a few things about stage direction, and the pacing of it on the script? My short is a horror piece, so there a few bits that involve quite a bit of stage direction with the deliberate intention of not including dialogue to increase tension (i.e. a slow build up) How detailed should the stage direction be? Short and snappy or quite exact to detail and mood? 

The short is for a competition so I am mainly wondering what would be considered readable and attractive at industry standard. 

I hope this whaffle makes senses. 

Thank you :) 

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on November 26, 2013 at 3:31

Theatre theories and Welsh writing...longevity...

So I was reading Theatre in Wales past reviews from 1989 and looked at what theatre was being produced then, we had Brif Gof (no longer) that did amazing physical theatre and site specific work - was lucky to see Hafod in 1997 (?), we had the lovely Mark Jenkins who is writing for film currently, we had Made in Wales and also a lot of welsh productions... so I began to think about longevity of theatre companies and writers ... as writers do we have longevity of career or do we give up through lack of support, acknowledgement/not making it/or getting a 'real job'?

I have also thought about welsh language - has NTW made one yet? Perhaps John a bilingual play could be interesting? I thought about who is writing in welsh (I'm sure I've asked this before).

I thought about what are the developments in theatre practice - yes there's multi media productions etc but that's been around since early 90's (maybe before) - did  a lot of them in Uni but now its 2013 - what theories are being developed worked through - do we have challenging theatre companies that push boundaries, or do the majority stay safe?

A lot to think about.

Comment by Kelly Jones on November 25, 2013 at 6:28

Stories of the Streetz:  St davids Hall 29th November 7:30 PM

Stories of the Streetz is a new writing event supported by National Theatre Wales TEAM.

We have a very exciting event happening THIS FRIDAY!!!!!!!! @ 7:30PM

6 short plays have been written by six amazing writers and will take place all over Level one of St David's Hall. We have a band , a bar and some free theatre .... What more could you want

Come along and support these wonderful writers :)

7:30 pm St david's Hall this Friday

Comment by meredydd barker on November 24, 2013 at 5:15

TO: Edward Crompton Lloyd Hall, High Sheriff of Cardiganshire
Dated 25th Aug 1843
"...fish can go no further than Felingigfran to spawn. It has also come to my attention that the vicar of Eglwyswrw, the Reverend D. Protheroe has been feeding his sheep in the churchyard where grass grows from the putrefaction of human bodies. These sheep have been sold at Cardigan thereby proving the said Reverend D. Protheroe a cannibal..."

New blog post - http://meredyddbarker.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/mary-sister-of-mary/

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service