Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Tim Price on April 1, 2014 at 4:17

Great article on the power of Scottish international touring theatre vs poverty of national touring. 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/stage/black-watch-lit-touch...

With NTW being a largely site-specific company, will it ever make modular work with an eye on international touring? And would ACW ever subsidise international tours like Creative Scotland?

Comment by National Theatre Wales on March 31, 2014 at 4:15

Hi Everyone. One last shout out for people who might want to help select the 'Dramaturgs Group' for this year at NTW.  We are looking for two writers who don't want to apply themselves for the roles to be part of the selection process (i.e choose the dramaturgs).  I hope to advertise the roles themselves in the next few weeks.  Cheers y'all. 

Comment by Kelly Jones on March 26, 2014 at 7:43

Hey Writers ,

I've been invited to The Yard theatre for an artists 'salon' to discuss writing for performance chaired by Chris Thorpe next weekend. As I can tell the salon is focussed on two main questions:

Do we still need writers in theatre? & Do word's still have power?

Just wanted to see what you all think . Does theatre still need us or are we all going to be out of a job soon? And in a world where everything is getting high tech (sound like my mum) do we need to get more creative with words and language?

xx

Comment by Tim Price on March 14, 2014 at 11:31

@Greg I've sent a couple through, sent another one just now. Check your invites. 

Comment by Greg Cullen on March 14, 2014 at 11:23

Consider it done Kaite.

Tim where's this invite? Is there a dress code? Either way I'm up for it.

Comment by meredydd barker on March 14, 2014 at 11:17
Playwright Help is what I thought, just to keep things simple. Then realised that PH is The Acid Test.

I have been drinking shandy, though.
Comment by Greg Cullen on March 14, 2014 at 10:45

In Irish mythology the Cullens were makers of magic swords, axes and shields. Whoever gets one of John's new roles may need my help. I'll fire up the furnace. Its been a while. I may even be a little rusty! 

Comment by Alex Murdoch on March 13, 2014 at 7:14

Hi Kaite 

This sounds like there may be a great connection with a project I'm working on called Birdhouse - which is about indendent female theatre makers and leadership.  Just at a pilot stage right now.  I gave talk about it a Women of the World on saturday at WMC.  Get in touch - let's talk about it.  Sounds great what you're doing.

x

Comment by National Theatre Wales on March 13, 2014 at 7:07

Thaumaturge is lovely Peter, but maybe sometimes it's more like Traumaturge...

In the meantime - nice playwriting competition from Theatre 503 for writers at all levels, plus news of 503Five - their residency programme for new writers - deadline March 31, details here.

Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on March 13, 2014 at 0:37

On a fresh note, can I draw everyone's attention to Tonic Theatre's Advance Programme, promoting gender equality in theatre? They currently have an anonymous survey they are inviting playwrights of any age, experience, gender, or location in the UK to participate in, and I would really encourage writers on this site to do so. 

Tonic say: 

"We know that it’s not often that playwrights are given the chance to comment on how the industry does or doesn’t work for them, and your response will be vital to the success of Advance and broadening our understanding more generally of the playwright’s experience."

The Advance programme is exploring how the theatre industry can work more successfully with female artists. Tonic Theatre "..supports the theatre industry to achieve greater gender equality in its workforces and repertoires....Tonic's approach involves getting to grips with the principles that lie beneath how our industry functions - our working methods, decision-making processes, and organisational structures - and identifying how, in their current form, these can create barriers. Once we have done that, we devise practical yet imaginative alternative approaches and work with our partners to trial and deliver them. Essentially, our goal is to equip our colleagues in UK theatre with the tools they need to ensure a greater level of female talent is able to rise to the top.'

A project worth participating in - and you can until Monday 24 March.

You can participate in the survey here:  http://fluidsurveys.com/s/AdvancePlaywrightSurvey/

Further information about Tonic, their projects and their work can be found at: http://www.tonictheatre.co.uk/

or my blog: www.kaiteoreilly.wordpress.com

x

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service