Morning all.

As I'm now no longer on my way to London for PLASA, I thought i'd finally get around to starting this discussion.

Having recently had the always pleasurable company of the Welsh National Youth Theatre, I have once again seen an excellent example of young people being given experiences in our industry and coming together as a team to produce a very high standard of work.

However, when I got into high schools to deliver workshops, or as part of another production, I am always shocked to see how little information about our industry is on offer to high school students at KS3 and KS4. A conversation a while ago confirmed for me that things had not changed radically since I was that age. A school careers adviser who shall remain unnamed said to me that "there are only really 2 career paths in theatre. Acting, and for those who don't, backstage." Unfortunately, this misconception is not uncommon amongst schools, parents and careers advisers. Most people in our industry fell into it rather than being advised upon it. The icing on the cake was, when I enquired about further education for theatre and backstage work I was told "There are establishments in Wales of course, but if you want to be successful then you have to train in London.......".

I would very much like to see the NTW work with KS3/4 and the careers service to dispel some of the myths and misinformation which is still floating around. And, as with the NYTW, give young people the hands-on opportunity and information they need to make an informed decision on the possible futures within our industry.

Views: 258

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Gareth I agree. I am an a Arts Officer for Bridgend Council and run the CITS
http://www.bridgend.gov.uk/web/groups/public/documents/services/014...
I think careers advice and knowledge of training in Wales is very poor and agree with your comments about NYTW
Guy
Hi Gareth, yes there is a shortage of information out there about careers related to theatre. My university have a programme were some Technical Theatre students go to a school and spend two days in workshops teaching 14-15 year old's about lighting, sound, set design and a ting amount of deputy stage management. It has been running for a few years but I believe it could be taken further because there is a large untaped market for this.
Hi Gareth, we are hoping that some of our shows in the opening year will provide internships and apprenticeships for young technicians. We hope to work with arts development officers and youth theatres on this. You might also want to look at some work done in England under the Get Into Theatre initiative. It was a really good attempt to let young people know about all the aspects of theatre.
Thanks to everyone for the responses, especially John for the info about the internships and apprenticeships. It's highly encouraging to see these issues being discussed and plans laid out prior to 2010.
Hi everyone in Bridgend we are hoping to utilize a scheme by the Department Of Work and Pensions called the Future Jobs Fund to support training and job creation in Technical Theatre.
I agree with yuo Gareth, and had a similar experience myself growing up in Wales. I'm now on the other side and teach Stage Management in a London Drama School. We do receive a small number of very high calibre candidates from Wales, but I think a general issue nationwide is lack of specific resources and knowledge in schools/ colleges, and this is understandable due to expense. I'm keen and I'm sure lots of other training/ eduaction establishments are also to spread the word, it's just a case of ensuring schools, youth groups etc. know this.
Hi Jacqueline , we currently have four young people in Bridgend who are receiving paid training through the Future Jobs Fund as Arts Venue Staff.
The four young people are receiving training in a variety of areas for example one wants to be a carpenter, one wants to be technical stage manager one wants to be an opera singer and the other will hopefully provide security services( amongst other things) when the first NTW show comes to Blaengarw Workman's Hall.
I will post more info for other arts companies whom may be interested in supporting young people into finding an alternative career path into the Creative Industries in Wales.
You may be interested in this... WNO are running technical theatre workshops with the view of training people to be involved in the 2011 Welsh National Youth Opera.

Are you aged 15- 17 and interested in what goes on behind the scenes in a theatre?

Run at the home of WNO, Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay from 13-15th July 2010 you will transform a bare space into a production and visit technical departments of WNO.

Places on this course are limited to 10 participants of 15 years of age plus. If you would like to be considered for a place please contact Clare.Thorne@wno.org.uk or call 07866 819109.

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service