Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Kelly Jones on August 1, 2014 at 6:12
That's great , thanks John
Comment by National Theatre Wales on August 1, 2014 at 6:09

Hi Kelly, yes that would be great.  Probably best to focus on the drama and writing rather than the ins and outs of how the cross platform works but certainly give a sense of how you imagine it happening. 

Comment by Kelly Jones on August 1, 2014 at 5:23
Hey John, I just wondered if we can submit a script that's cross platform e.g radio and theatre
Kelly
Comment by National Theatre Wales on August 1, 2014 at 5:03

Thanks to everyone who came along to the info session about the Wales Drama Award at Sherman Cymru yesterday. Hopefully the one in Wrexham is going equally well even as I write!

Here's a couple of the questions that came up and the answers:

Can I submit more than one script?  No, just one per person.

Can I submit a script that is already under commission with a theatre or production company, or has been supported by a grant or another agency? Yes as long as it's never been produced or performed.  Wales Drama Award does not automatically acquire the rights for the winning script.  Instead the winner will be invited to develop a new script with BBC Wales.

Can I use a language other than English in my play? Yes as long as you provide a translation and the play is accessible to an English-speaking audience. The competition is part of NTW's English-language theatre provision.  Welsh-language provision is separate to this competition.

How long is full-length and is it different for different media? We expect a minimum of 30 minutes. You don't have to write for a specific time-slot, but the work should feel like a complete, full-length work?

Can I submit the first episode of a serial drama for TV and do I need to provide treatments for subsequent episodes.  Yes you can and no you don't.

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Comment by George Goding on July 26, 2014 at 4:24

'After a failed mutiny, three men find themselves cast adrift on a piece of wood.

An arrogant Englishmen, an angry Welshman and an infuriatingly simple man from the West Country.

Together, they must overcome their differences in the face of death...'

Infini Productions present a preview of their exciting new Edinburgh show 'Adrift' at Chapter Arts Centre this Monday and Tuesday night (7:30 doors, 8:00 performance).

Comment by Lisa Wells-Turner on July 23, 2014 at 0:51

Hey everyone. 

Just a reminder that the next NTW TEAM Workout session is coming up on the 9th August.  NTW Event is here; Facebook Event is here; and there's a blog about the last session here

Anyone got any queries do drop me a line at lisawellsturner@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Lisa

Comment by Ace McCarron on July 22, 2014 at 23:26

Picking up on Alan's point number 7, remember that Glasgow is only 43minutes away. It can provide a welcome respite from the deafening blizzard of advertising that is the Fringe. Alan's point number 1 is the most important though. In the first week, you'll probably be arriving into a venue that isn't quite finished, with crew that can't answer your questions and are unfamiliar with consoles and procedures. Once, after five of us set out to tech a well-formed dance show in a four-hour slot, it took us five hours afterwards to de-brief and relate what had happened during it. Get used to the fact that the people you find yourself drinking with will be talking about technical disasters. If you desperately need tech advice, find the crew at Venue 13, and buy somebody a drink, explaining that soon, you could be employing them.

It is, of course, immense fun. Book early for shows that people are talking about. Then you'll have something to contribute.

Good luck to all who venture north.

Comment by Alan Harris on July 22, 2014 at 21:06

Dear fellow writers, come and support new writing at the Wales Millennium Centre - and here's a discount code for cheap tickets...

The Future For Beginners (redeveloped by liveartshow as part opera, part play) is on from Thursday, July 24 to Saturday, July 26 at 8pm in the Weston Studio (which has been radically altered for the performances) and members of the Writers group can get £6 tickets for all shows. All you have to do is either book in person, online or over the telephone and say the discount code which is 'FUTUREPROOF'.

WMC box office

liveartshow

Details:
The Future For Beginners: 24 - 26 Jul

£6 tickets available upon quoting promo code: FUTUREPROOF
These offers are available online, over phones (02920 6436464) and in person at Wales Millennium Centre’s Ticket Desk.

Comment by Kelly Jones on July 22, 2014 at 2:23
Thanks Carmen- yeah I've just booked it :) see you all there
X
Comment by carmen medway-stephens on July 22, 2014 at 1:59

its on BBC website - at the sherman thursday 31st July?

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service