Congratulations to Kelly Jones - Winner of the Wales Drama Award 2014

Out of a truly excellent field of candidates, it was a great pleasure to award the Wales Drama Award 2014 to up and coming writer Kelly Jones this year.  

The finalists were an even mix of theatre and TV writers, but Kelly in particular stood out as someone who has vibrant ideas for every form of drama.  Her script, Tammy, demonstrated a unique voice and a willingness to take risks that impressed all of the judges.

While it wasn't part of the judging process in any way, I have to add that I'm delighted that Kelly is a young writer who's been such an active part of the community of emerging artists in Wales - working with NTW TEAM and WalesLab, contributing to this online community in a range of ways, including the writers' group, and working with a range of up and coming artists.  She demonstrates how success can grow out of immersion into the burgeoning Welsh theatre and arts world. Hopefully her success will be an inspiration to up and coming artists and companies working in Wales.

As well as her £10,000 prize, Kelly will now work with BBC Writersroom, BBC Drama Cymru and NTW to look at ideas she would like to develop.  And there will be a reading of her winning script in the new year.  

Well done Kelly!  

Views: 415

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Kevin Johnson on December 18, 2014 at 3:00

Congratulations Kelly, you deserve it!

Come on you Irons!!!

Comment by Kelly Jones on December 17, 2014 at 9:16

Thank you all and Thanks John. I am absolutely ecstatic to have won , my cheeks are killing me from all the smiling.  I believe I owe great thanks for the support of emerging artists that is shown by NTW through TEAM Waleslab and the overall generosity of the company and it's staff.  The encouragement and support is completely invaluable and I wouldn't be here without it.  I look forward to sharing the script with you all at the reading.

Kelly x

PS: Ben I didn't wear the Cardigan in the end, I bought a nice jumper and wore some bling

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on December 17, 2014 at 7:52

can't wait to hear it !!

Comment by Ben Tinniswood on December 17, 2014 at 7:51

Here here! True words John & Well done Jones. Well deserved & well worth investing in the new Cardigan.

Comment by Anna Poole on December 17, 2014 at 7:10

It's such brilliant and inspiring news!  I am over the moon for Kelly and it shows how hard work, perseverance and enthusiasm really does pay off. She is a total diamond, Dagenham woman! Well done Miss Jones. x

Comment by James Robert Auheb on December 17, 2014 at 6:42
Very exciting! Well done Kelly!

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service