Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Devinda De Silva on March 10, 2015 at 7:24

'The Great Debate On Welsh Education: An Invitation to Discuss the review of the curriculum with Professor Donaldson' will be taking place in a number of venues around Wales from tomorrow. More details here

Comment by Bevin Magama on March 8, 2015 at 6:42

Reflecting on the 'Rethinking Education' meeting which was held on the 26th February at the NTW offices, I went away with a whirlpool of thoughts bombarding my mind. The meeting drew together educationalists and theatre practitioners. Such a meeting as one would expect, I was overwhelmed with drama pedagogies and philosophies. I tries to speak but my tongue was numb, as if I had received one of those injections one gets before a tooth extraction at the dentist. Maybe it's because I have never attended drama school. But still I went away richer after the meeting. 

I thought of the workshops I am currently involved with in collaboration with NTW. I am currently involved in a workshop themed Tell-A-Tale. The objective of this workshop is to promote the participation of marginalised migrants in the community in the enjoyment of the arts and to educate, entertain and empower them. Most of the participants hardly spoke any English at all. But as the workshop progressed, what the facilitators witnessed was the increase in self-confidence and self-esteem. Even with an interpreter available, we enjoyed brilliant stories; some done through sketch-drawing and some done beautifully through movement. 

The other workshop I am also involved in , is creating a drama with participants from DrugAid Merthyr. This drama is called 'Vanishing Number Seven.' Anna Poole is directing this 30 minute piece. The creativity of these participants has resulted in this humorous, thought-provoking piece.

In these two workshops, I can say, the workshops are positively impacting on community engagement, relationships and life-long learning. Drama has to be central to learning processes and drama has transformative power for people intending to learn. I would love to hear any creative ways that can help me make these workshops better. 

Comment by Steve Grant on March 3, 2015 at 7:16
Comment by Steve Grant on February 24, 2015 at 23:27

Donaldson review proposals - 'Expressive Arts' one of six key areas of learning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31606122

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31534284

Comment by Bill Hamblett on February 22, 2015 at 5:00

In response to Catrin's post. Possibly introduce forum theatre or even invisible theatre to address or explore issues that are relevant to students. Maybe do this through the students union and not the teaching faculty. It could be low cost and have big outcomes. That is if students can be found with a passion for using theatre to address problems. You can even by-pass the drama departments and gain their interest later .Why should non drama students not get to act and act effectively? 

Comment by Catrin Fflur Huws on February 18, 2015 at 6:14

I'm looking for ways to bring theatre into higher education. I work in the higher education sector, so using theatre as an educational tool for students is something that I'm really interested in. Anybody got any thoughts of how this might be developed and funded?

Comment by Michaela Nutt on February 17, 2015 at 5:09

A good little article supporting the argument: 

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/every-child-should-have-an-education-in-... 

An interesting couple of comments made on it too which reinforces that when we talk about 'access' we must always think about breaking down multiple barriers, not just financial ones. 

Comment by Gavin Porter on February 6, 2015 at 4:54

Haha, yes Bill, I missed out the T in event.

Comment by Bill Hamblett on February 6, 2015 at 4:51

Hi Gavin I just sent you  an e mail on another subject Think Tank. What do you mean "is this the even?"         ... event? .....evening or am I missing something ?

The comment here is about a seminar on education on the 30th of April sorry  I missed out the date.

Bill

Comment by Gavin Porter on February 6, 2015 at 4:40

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service