The Peoples Think Tank

Information

The Peoples Think Tank

The People’s Think Tank is an interdisciplinary group of problem-solvers; artists, NTW TEAM members, members of the communities of Wales

The Think Tank’s aims are to:

• give a collective voice for the people of Wales, around issues of democracy and politics, arts and culture;
  • pursue tangible outcomes from the Big Democracy Project;
  • encourage a new collective voice; and to
  • help shape the next phase of The Big Democracy Project.

They will do this by:

• working within the Big Democracy Project to listen and contribute to conversation;
  • learning, analysing, and sharing ideas online;
  • holding periodical online debates;
  • presenting some of their findings to the National Assembly in March 2016;
  • react to government policy, proposals, papers and recommendations; and
  • influencing the direction of the Big Democracy Project;

If you’d like to join the People’s Think Tank, please contact Gavin Porter at gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org or 02920 353 070.

There’s no criteria – anyone can become a member, anywhere in Wales.

Members: 50
Latest Activity: Feb 16, 2017

Discussion Forum

When will the Establishment and party leaders hear the cry of the voiceless? 2 Replies

I spoke to a young British man the other day who was born and raised in Wales and who's children are born and raised in Cardiff ' who said to me I'm having sleepless nights lately as I'm worried…Continue

Started by Yusuf salaban mohamed. Last reply by Yusuf salaban mohamed Apr 23, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Peoples Think Tank to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 22, 2015 at 1:47

Farage Is Dead - Long Live Miliband? Russell Brand The Trews

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 22, 2015 at 1:46

@Laura, this will be the first general election that I've voted in too. First time I ever voted was Green in the European elections last year. Im changing my mind almost daily about who to vote for.

Comment by Steve Grant on April 22, 2015 at 0:55

Now you're just making everyone else feel old, Laura :(

Comment by Laura Fay Thomas on April 22, 2015 at 0:54

Look forward to coming along to the next event on 19th June! This is my first year I'll be voting, being involved in the Big Democracy project has encouraged me to think much more about politics, democracy and the bigger picture.  x

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 22, 2015 at 0:40

Frankie Boyle the 2015 General Election interview

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 21, 2015 at 23:48

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 21, 2015 at 23:48

@Christina - That was a really interesting article that you posted, thanks. It made me think about not this election but the next one, in five years or so. As print declines and people source info from everywhere, I wonder what we will start to demand from our Politicians. Double speak is dead and will no longer wash, but so too soon will miss representation and manipulation of figures. I watched Cameron talking on TV loads over the last few weeks and I thought if you had just landed in the UK on holiday and turned the TV on and he was the first thing you saw you'd think we are living in a wonderful time.

2,000,000 new jobs, 2,000,000 new apprenticeships, 900,000 new people off benefits and into work.....

This is his mantra

Comment by Gavin Porter on April 21, 2015 at 23:26

@Anna, thanks for attending our first meeting.

As some of you may know there we (NTW) are inviting ideas from mid Wales for our next event taking place on 19th June. I think I'll be organising a minibus from Cardiff so let me know if you'd like to attend. 

Comment by Christina Handke on April 20, 2015 at 23:43

Since you're talking about the US media, I thought I share an article I have been reading about the UK media and the upcoming elections.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/adam-ramsay/newspapers-are...

Interesting video. What I find particularly interesting is the talk about the US and Iran and the media coverage about that. For so long I have been wondering what the nuclear deal between the two is actually about until it daunted on me. The Iranian government was basically on its last legs, the economy was getting worse and worse, people started to speak up, demonstrate, a anti-governmental group was forming in hope that when Khamenei dies, they can change the government. The only way the government has any power left is through oppression, fear and violence. Suddenly the US-Iran deal comes along and is most likely going to end up lifting all the sanctions on Iranian export numbers and amounts of oil and gas. I'm assuming the US and also Britain with their military interventions in for example Syria, have a great interest in keeping the Middle East what it is. Only if there is war and tension and oppression can the Western world profit through oil and gas. And you can only catch a glimpse of this in the media here, if you listen carefully and look in the right places. 

This might sound silly but the US Series " The West Wing" has actually taught me many things about politics and the media. About the difference of what we believe is going on in the world and what is kept in darkness. I wonder how much information do we, the general public need in order to actually live in a democracy that's based on informed decisions? Or do we elect the politicians to make those decisions for us?

I can't help but wonder what would happen if somebody asked us :" Choose: Iranian people live in freedom or cheap gas and oil for you? " What if we give power to the people? People, who vote UKIP or believe immigrants take away all the jobs, when clearly statistics paint a completely different image. If the media doesn't inform us, or the politicians don't inform the media about what is actually going on, we will always deal with people, whose opinion is often based on ignorance, fear and hatred. And even if they give us the information are we educated and interested enough to actually understand what it means and the repercussions of our decisions? 

Comment by Anna Shaw on April 20, 2015 at 23:16
Really enjoyed the last meeting and look forward with interest to see what develops and to contribute in whatever way I can.

Members (49)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service