The Peoples Think Tank

Information

The Peoples Think Tank

The People’s Think Tank is an interdisciplinary group of problem-solvers; artists, NTW TEAM members, members of the communities of Wales

The Think Tank’s aims are to:

• give a collective voice for the people of Wales, around issues of democracy and politics, arts and culture;
  • pursue tangible outcomes from the Big Democracy Project;
  • encourage a new collective voice; and to
  • help shape the next phase of The Big Democracy Project.

They will do this by:

• working within the Big Democracy Project to listen and contribute to conversation;
  • learning, analysing, and sharing ideas online;
  • holding periodical online debates;
  • presenting some of their findings to the National Assembly in March 2016;
  • react to government policy, proposals, papers and recommendations; and
  • influencing the direction of the Big Democracy Project;

If you’d like to join the People’s Think Tank, please contact Gavin Porter at gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org or 02920 353 070.

There’s no criteria – anyone can become a member, anywhere in Wales.

Members: 50
Latest Activity: Feb 16, 2017

Discussion Forum

When will the Establishment and party leaders hear the cry of the voiceless? 2 Replies

I spoke to a young British man the other day who was born and raised in Wales and who's children are born and raised in Cardiff ' who said to me I'm having sleepless nights lately as I'm worried…Continue

Started by Yusuf salaban mohamed. Last reply by Yusuf salaban mohamed Apr 23, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Peoples Think Tank to add comments!

Comment by Gavin Porter on July 2, 2015 at 3:23

Hi everyone. I would like to invite you to a meeting at NTW office on Thursday 30th at 2pm. On 18th March 2016 NTW will be creating The Big Democracy Festival both inside and outside the Senedd in Cardiff as well as in the Pierhead building and I'd love for you to get involved and help shape this event. We are in the early planning stages but what I know for definite is the the evening of the 18th will end with an 'Assembly' inside the Senedd.

This Assembly will explore the four key themes that have been chosen for the four regional events as part of The Big Democracy Project:

North Wales - Voter Apathy

South Wales - Asylum, Identity and Democracy

Mid Wales - Disabled People and Austerity

West Wales - to be determined

Id like to find out what the shape of the rest of the day should be. Amongst other things Im wondering who should be involved? What artists/activists/groups should we be connecting with? Should something happen on the Friday and/or Sunday? How can we ensure this event doesn't become Cardiff Centric? How should the festival be curated? How should we connect digitally?......

Please let me know if you interested in coming along by email to gavinporter@nationaltheatrewales.org We can provide the cost of public transport to the meeting. 

We can also start the conversation in this group so if you have any thoughts, questions or ideas feel free to post.

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on June 30, 2015 at 10:57

I love Jeremy Rifkin and I like Chris's comment.

Comment by Gavin Porter on June 30, 2015 at 3:50

Here is another talk by Jeremy Rifkin about Empathic Civilisation

Comment by Gavin Porter on June 30, 2015 at 3:19

Its been over a week since the event in Llandrindod and its been good to reflect. Personally, i thought that the night was a success on many levels. I think there was a quality audience experience created by the artists in five days. I think using creativity to instigate conversation worked. I think it  was lovely to see a mix of audience, who my not usually/often mix, sharing an experience. There were some great conversations and statements, but as with the previous two events, the same questions rear their heads:

'All this talk is great but what are we going to do?'

'How can we make real change?'

'Where are the decision makers?' 

These are a questions that come up almost daily in conversation, what can we do about it? About war, cuts, inequality, demonisation of minorities and of the poor, the NHS, Fire Service, Policing...the list goes on. My answer is F$ck knows, maybe nothing, but there feels to be a real groundswell of discontent and that energy needs an outlet.

One comment from the evening sticks in my mind 'Im beginning to see terrorism as a legitimate form of protest'  This comment came from (what I can guess is) a well educated, middle class gentleman in his mid forties. I thought what a statement. obviously I am in no way condoning any kind of violence but people are searching for answers.

I think the answers might be in finding ways disrupting the current systems in place and Im excited about the idea of The Third Industrial Revolution. Below is a video that I may have posted here before which explains the theory.

Comment by Chris Tally Evans on June 21, 2015 at 23:25

Monday, and so had the weekend to reflect on Friday's BDP night in Llandrindod Wells. It was a great evening but to me did seem to echo the flavour of the "is it all about capitalism?" versus "patchwork of people coming together" debate that's been going on. Everybody's very keen at saying we must all get together but a bit short on what we actually need to do when we are together. And I think there is a fear that touchy feely-ism will replace positive action. Mind you, coming together worked a treat at Greenham Common so it depends how you do it! lots of people, especially those nice men from BBC Radio 3, who were recording us for Free Speech to be broadcast tomorrow night at 10pm (go on, give it a listen) were very keen to point out that our audience were very warm and receptive and that those who should have been getting our message, like a bullet between the eyes, were actually in scant supply. Isn't that the point? Isn't it that we, the disadvantaged and discriminated against, are too easy to ignore when we are divided and what we need to do is to see that the fears of the Muslim community and the disabled community (and remember you can actually be both!) share common themes. The allusion to 1930s Germany and that which is happening to disadvantaged and minority groups across Britain and Europe is there for anyone to see and it's scary. It's one of the reasons I used Hitler's black triangle as a symbol in the Celf event. It was an inspiring night but I think we need some joined up thinking because it's only with a platform like The Senedd in Cardiff that those who think they're not affected, i.e. the ones who should be sitting up and taking note, might be dragged kicking and screaming to understand what's really happening. We need to be artistically as well as politically clever if we stand a chance to see justice starting to be served.

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on June 19, 2015 at 11:00

What would you describe as pure capitalism Jo? It's a competitive system, why would we choose that over a co-operative one? Not to say you do support capitalism but I see all other social issues conversations that don't focus on capitalism as the problem as patchwork rather than searching for the root of the problem.

Comment by Ceridwen Powell on June 16, 2015 at 10:41

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.” Benjamin Franklin. We discussed the implications of this quote a lot at our preparations for Celf's Big Democracy event. I realised there are no mass protests against disability Benefit cuts because most people just don't know what's going on and about DWP nasty tricks. The media has bought in to government anti-disabled propaganda.  Read the true stories at http://wearefigures.co.uk/narratives and you will be outraged. And if you're near Llandrindod come along to Celf this Friday evening for performance and debate.

Comment by Angharad Evans on June 16, 2015 at 8:52

By making a start through The Big Democracy, peoples think tank, protest.. being a platform to discuss through the arts opens up possibilities for future change. Bringing awareness, and giving us the opportunity to come together is powerful within itself. 

Comment by jo munton-vagabondi puppets on June 16, 2015 at 8:41

Ive been working on the Celf o Gwmpas Big Democracy project too - and its been inspiring, challenging, rewarding and thought provoking already.   I don't think it's about replacing capitalism (especially as pure capitalism doesn't actually exist  ;) ) - more about enabling marginalised people to come together and have the space and inspiration for discussion and support.  Well looking forward to it.

Comment by Dan Lloyd (Flameholder) on June 16, 2015 at 8:01

I think there's a lot of focus everywhere on the symptoms of capitalism rather than seeking to replace capitalism.

Members (49)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service