Information

Rethinking Education

A group for anyone who wants to help us develop an NTW approach to education.

Members: 140
Latest Activity: Feb 1, 2022

Our Manifesto

To act as a catalyst in creating new networks to stimulate debate across arts, education and beyond

To provide a forum to discuss education in a language that encourages fresh and innovative ideas

To develop leaders and advocates from a range of backgrounds, working throughout the whole education system

To focus on creating long-term solutions to the problems of the formal education system

To encourage cross-curricular dialogue to promote the benefits of the arts at all stages of the educational experience

Come join us.

Discussion Forum

Creative Schools: what's happening out there? 2 Replies

The creative schools/ creative practitioners project has been running for about 2 school years now. I was so enthusiastic about its aims when launched at the Arts Council Wales event. I think the…Continue

Started by Bill Hamblett. Last reply by Martin Daws Apr 16, 2018.

Sharing - Rethinking Education for the 21st Century 1 Reply

http://shar.es/131gVNNesta posted this on twitter this morning. It is an article written by Naveen Jain called School's Out For Summer. It was originally posted…Continue

Started by Jain Boon. Last reply by 4elements1 May 31, 2015.

Going forward

What if there is a way to take any discussion group to impact the future, involve the group and conversation , by discussion, attitude, interaction be it voice visual impact, more engagement allows…Continue

Started by Gary Morris Feb 27, 2015.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Rethinking Education to add comments!

Comment by Bill Hamblett on September 30, 2015 at 3:10

Thanks Gavin I am so glad you have found this link to Satish I mentioned him earlier in this discussion. I cant wait for the documentary about Satish that Emergence has crowdfunded to be out there and promoted

Comment by Ben Tinniswood on September 30, 2015 at 2:07

When musicians moved into a school in Leeds, everyone expected the children to make progress in music. What was less...

Posted by BBC Look North (Yorkshire) on Tuesday, 29 September 2015

" target="_blank"><div id="fb-root"></div><script...

Comment by Gavin Porter on September 30, 2015 at 0:36

Hi everyone. The proposal submitted by Mess Up The Mess has been chosen for the west Wales round of the Big Democracy Project, the idea is titled 'Are we just another tick in the wall?' and some of the question MUTM are interested in exploring are:

WHO IS OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM REALLY SERVING?

HOW CAN WE CREATE EDUCATION THAT IS RELEVANT AND USEFUL TO THE FULL SPECTRUM OF YOUNG PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN WALES?

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO A ONE SIZE FITS ALL EXAM BASED SYSTEM?

This event will be taking place in Ammanford in mid November (date tbc). When I first read their proposal it reminded me of the amazing TED talk below. 

Comment by Steve Grant on September 25, 2015 at 3:40

Well said Naomi :-)

Comment by Naomi Chiffi on September 25, 2015 at 3:10

Sophie, this is wonderful and you have honed in on much of what we discussed at our first meeting in West Wales - I agree with Steve that you should be shaking things up in government!  I think the points raised are all valid and are all actually achievable - this need not just be a poet's dream.  The one point I would make is that I don't think there is a need to do away with Music, Art, English Lit etc teachers in favour of a team of Creative Practitioners (though I understand your point perfectly in terms of the way in which pupils then view creativity) but it would be good for these practitioners to work alongside teachers as a properly salaried member of staff who can engage with and encourage pupils and staff alike - offering them visions outside the confines of the National Curriculum and the need to meet targets through a grading system that is largely irrelevant and stifles creativity.  This is such a great blog; I hope you are able to attend our North Wales meeting at the end of October as we really need your voice!   

Comment by Steve Grant on September 24, 2015 at 23:05

No Sophie, I'm sure you would change the whole philosophy of the organisation. They need someone with imagination. :-)

Comment by Sophie McKeand on September 24, 2015 at 22:44

thanks guys! Steve - that sounds like the most terrible sort of torture ;-)

Comment by Guy O'Donnell on September 24, 2015 at 8:04

Some very valid points raised by Sophie thanks for taking the time to create that blog post and share your thoughts.

Comment by Steve Grant on September 24, 2015 at 3:32

Wow Sophie! Give that woman a job in government! 

Comment by Martin Daws on September 24, 2015 at 2:12

Yes Sophie. Yes and yes. The transferrable skills inherent in creative expression help us do everything better. We're on the right track with Lead Creative Schools. Hopefully this 5 year project will give us the hard evidence to prove what we know from our experience.

Re the Gog event. I'd like to attend, but I'm away the end of October, but, basically, I agree with Sophie - and probably anyone else who is interested to go.

Members (140)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service