I know creatives tend to keep their ideas to themselves for fear of someone else nicking the idea and running with it. And I know you can't copyright ideas, which is scary when you've come up with something really exciting.

But I went to my first NTW TEAM Workout session yesterday, and in discussing other people's projects and ideas I came away with loads of ideas of my own. These weren't nabbed from other people, they just grew out of conversations about other people's work. And I love that kind of creative process. One person talks about a play they want to create, let's say about trains. I start off by thinking 'well I'm not all that interested in trains'. But then we talk and I start thinking 'so how would I go about getting and audience interested in trains'. And from that I've got a whole load of ideas on how to develop my own piece of theatre on let's say cake.

So in giving away my own ideas, in return I've come away with a whole bunch of fresh ideas that will feed into my own work. Creativity is an organic process that needs feeding. So thanks to the people I worked with yesterday, and I look forward to creatively sparking with many of you in the near future.  

As a writer for hire it's great to get away from my desk and to interact with real people, because that's where the most interesting work is developed. I'm always happy to talk through ideas, and to see if I can be part of a team that develops them. So talk to me and I'll talk to you to see what we can come up with.

Views: 202

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Emma MacNab on June 20, 2016 at 10:51

A lovely read Jarek. We were so thrilled to have you there. Please do keep us all up to date with your projects. Hope to see you at another Workout soon!

Comment by Lisa Wells-Turner on June 14, 2016 at 8:05

Fab Blog Jarek.  Thank you very much for coming and passing the word on.  Hopefully our paths will cross again soon!   Anyone out there looking to get involved, the next NTW TEAM Workout & Skill Swap will be in Tonyrefail on Saturday 9th July.  Details following soon...

Comment by Devinda De Silva on June 14, 2016 at 6:08

Thanks for posting Jarek - i think you summed up one of the best things about Workout.

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service