Last year I had a one minute play performed in a festival in Noo Yawk, so here's a (borrowed) idea: a writers' self-indulgence, sorry - festival, of very short works where the only thing in common from one piece to the next is a limited number of key stroke characters [stage directions and musical annotations included]. The compendium of works would be an extraordinary clash of ideas... A play with 200 characters, anybody?

Views: 688

Replies to This Discussion

How many miniworks does it take to make a show? There are now 37 miniworks in the Sushi theatre archive...
THE UNINVITED

A dark, winter’s night.
Empty glasses which lately contained vodka berry smoothies.

Q: You know... they all thought I was sexless.

Z: Yes. Me too. Hoped, even.

Q: And yet, here we are. Having sex.

Z: Oh. Is... is that what this is?
Nice. Like it. The smooth revelation of character difference. The articulated bewilderment and twist in the last line - both comic and tragic! Could kinda get to like this form.
I've been writing my way into a dark place for the last few weeks, now my mind needs some innuendo-driven puns...
Attachments:
Excellent Terry, a mini masterpiece.

I've been thinking about moving the form on a step - into adaptation.

Do you know the book 'Novels in Three Lines' by Felix Feneon? (Pub: nyrb classics. ISBN 978-1-59017-230-8.) ('a work of strange and singular art')

One of my favourites:

'A poor box dedicated to St Anthony of Padua was smashed in the church of St Germain-l'Auxerrois. The saint is on the trail of the thief.'

Another favourite:

'In Oyonnax, Mlle Cottet, 18, threw acid in the face of M. Bernard, 25. Love, obviously.'

0r this:

The sinister prowler seen by the mechanic Gicquel near Herbla train station has been identified: Jules Menard, snail collector.

I will see where these thoughts take me.
LE SILENCE INCOMPARABLE

JEAN Je pense...

MARIE Sh! Ecoute le silence, le bon silence.

JEAN Que? Je pense...

MARIE Sh! C’est incomparable, ce silence.

(PAUSE)

JEAN Oui. C’est vrai. Ce silence..

MARIE Sh! Ecoute.

(UN SILENCE INCOMPARABLE)
I've been away from this thread for a while - up to my eyes in another project - but... alors! Merdre! Bravo! Encore...
Rajni, hello
I want to see this piece staged. This is big theatre/art. Anybody out there got the wherewithal to stage/film/present this piece? Please.
My mind's been elsewhere for a while and while I wasn't looking this piece took root.
Attachments:
Hi Terry

Forgive my absence from the 200 character world.

I've been away in researching devising writing and directing mode for as long as I can remember. Working with young migrants / refugees in East End of London. Way off the pace with all things NTW. Show on Tuesday. Real world beckons again. Loved your cremation line. Enjoyed whole piece. bfn
I can't get away from this; the compressed idea teases me again and again. So here's another one to be going on with whilst waiting for the next BIG thing.
Attachments:
It seems I can't keep away from this format so here's another.
Attachments:

RSS

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service