Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Catrin Rogers on November 22, 2016 at 7:39

William Smith is the winner of the Wales Drama Award 2016!

His win was announced at a ceremony held this evening at Yr Hen Lyfrgell in Cardiff. He will receive £10,000 and the opportunity to develop his work with BBC Cymru Wales, BBC Writersroom and National Theatre Wales.

Swansea-born William graduated from the University of Wales, Newport with a degree in Film Studies in 2010. Since graduating he wrote the short film King of The Castle, which was made as part of the It's My Shout scheme and broadcast on BBC2 Wales in 2011, and Lift Jockeys, a short film produced in 2014. In addition to writing in his spare time, he’s previously worked as a producer and presenter for Radio Cardiff, as well as an office administrator. He now lives in Cardiff.

The three other finalists for this year’s award were Hardey Speight, Jonathan Jones and Bethan Marlow.

The biennial Wales Drama Award for English-language writing is a collaboration between two creative leaders in drama in Wales – BBC Cymru Wales and National Theatre Wales – in close partnership with BBC Writersroom. It is both a celebration of writers in Wales and an open call to Welsh talent, whether emerging or established.

Over 250 writers, either born or based in Wales, submitted their work in July 2016, from which BBC Writersoom along with input from professional television and theatre readers drew up a shortlist of eight. From these eight writers four finalists were selected by a panel of judges, including Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, Anne Edyvean, Head of BBC Writersoom and Bethan Jones, Executive Producer BBC Drama.

Anne Edyvean from BBC Writersroom, said: William's writing keeps you turning the pages - hooked in by skilled storytelling and great visual images. William is drawn to telling stories set in worlds that are in some way different to our own, but familiar enough to resonate with the audience - his settings are often ‘What if......?’”

Bethan Jones, Executive Producer for BBC Drama said: "This award is a way to ensure writers are able to afford to carve out time to write and have support to develop their work. It’s great to be able to support William Smith’s huge potential. But it also draws the industry’s attention to the potential of other voices, the shortlisted winners as well as others who didn’t quite make it through the process.”

Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, said: "William is a wonderful storyteller who clearly has a passion for, and a commitment to, writing rich and complex characters and narratives. He is undoubtedly a talent to watch. It will be very exciting to see what he goes on to produce, and how his win will inspire other writers in Wales in the future." 

Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, said: William Smith’s RESIDUE is a compelling study of two teens’ battle for survival in a post-apocalyptic world. The landscape is often domestic and recognisable and so the terror and danger are all the more potent. William weaves an often exciting, yet emotional tale. A genre piece with a twist!”

Comment by Catrin Rogers on November 21, 2016 at 4:22

BBC Cymru Wales, National Theatre Wales and the BBC Writersroom are making final preparations for tomorrow's Wales Drama Award 2016 ceremony (held at Yr Hen Lyfrgell in Cardiff, 5.30pm-7pm).

The four finalists this year are Hardey Speight, William Smith, Jon Jones and Bethan Marlow. They've been selected from over 250 Wales-based drama writers by a panel of judges, including Julie Gardner MBE, producer and co-founder of Bad Wolf, Kully Thiarai, Artistic Director of National Theatre Wales, Anne Edyvean, Head of BBC Writersoom and Bethan Jones, Executive Producer with the BBC.

The winner will receive £10,000 and the opportunity to develop their work with BBC Cymru Wales and National Theatre Wales.

We'll update the group tomorrow on who the winner is. In the meantime, below is a bit more information on all four finalists. Very best of luck to them all!

Hardey Speight

Named after Sir Thomas Hardy, Hardey graduated from the University of The Arts LCC and jumped straight into TV and Film as an Assistant Director working on programmes like Sherlock. After relocating to Cardiff he’s progressed into directing and writing creative content for the advertising world. His work is predominantly centred on telling beautiful stories about the human condition, about real characters, in a moment of crisis, but always with a sense of humour and pathos at heart. A huge influence on his style is the work of Mike Leigh, and more recently Jill Soloway, whose portraits of intricate, complex human relationships are original and compelling.

William Smith

Born in Swansea and currently living in Cardiff, William graduated from the University of Wales, Newport with a degree in Film Studies in 2010. Since graduating he wrote the short film "King of The Castle", which was made as part of the "It's My Shout" scheme and broadcast on BBC2 Wales in 2011, and "Lift Jockeys", a short film produced in 2014. In addition to writing in his spare time, he’s previously worked as a producer and presenter for Radio Cardiff, as well as an office administrator.

Jon Jones

Jon graduated from Manchester University with a degree in English Literature. His first job in the Film and Television industry was as a carpenter, from there working up the Art Department in a variety of roles, finishing up as an Art Director working on a number of BBC dramas and the feature film ‘Young Americans’, before returning to study Direction at the National Film and Television School. His first directing job was on the ITV Series, Cold Feet. Jon is married with three growing boys and tries to write when there’s a bit of quiet in the house.

Bethan Marlow

Bethan is a writer that likes to collaborate, test boundaries and telling stories on multiple platforms. She’s particularly passionate about voices within communities that aren’t being heard. She’s driven to write by people’s stories- their journeys, their experiences and their way of surviving in the world. Bethan has created work with communities in Ghana, Colombia and Malawi, as well as working Paines Plough, Royal Shakespeare Company and National Theatre Wales. She was one of the Traverse 50 writers.

Comment by Simon Coates on October 4, 2016 at 3:39

The Jerwood Foundation are trying to find out how much it costs to get started in the arts and creative sector, looking at the past 10 years.

They've put together a super short and simple questionnaire (it to me literally 1 min) -

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WJCBartsincome

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on September 28, 2016 at 3:22

Is anyone in Britain pioneering new theatre practice?

Comment by Fio on September 13, 2016 at 1:30

FIO ARE SEEKING PERFORMERS, POETS, MUSICIANS, SPOKEN WORD ARTISTS AND MORE FOR SPEAK EASY EVENT! 

As part of our production of The Mountaintop @ The Other Room we are looking to programme two Speak Easy Events on 8th and 15th October. 

What is a Speak Easy Event? 

Fio want to bring people together in a conversation about race, equality and poverty in 2016. Looking at the themes of The Mountaintop. Asking what has changed since the death of Martin Luther King?

We will be working with Black History Month Wales, Stand Upto Racism and other organisations to programme two event days including speeches, discussions, music, poetry and more. 

We are looking for people who are interested, inspired and motivated by issues around racism, poverty and equality. 

Comment by Matt Ball on August 3, 2016 at 2:57

*PAID WORK CLAXON*

Hi All,

I’m currently working in a primary school in Cardiff through the Lead Creative Schools scheme and we’re looking for a playwright and/or drama facilitator to work with the students to create a new piece of work.

You can find out more about the project and whats entailed by click here to read the brief.

If you want to know more then please drop me a line or give me a call. Deadline for applications is 2nd September.

2qjkymiztlzjw Comment by 2qjkymiztlzjw on July 20, 2016 at 22:01

Wales Drama Award 2016 is now open for submissions!

Submit your script by 5pm on Friday 29 July. Find out more here.

2qjkymiztlzjw Comment by 2qjkymiztlzjw on June 21, 2016 at 4:34

A reminder - BBC Wales and National Theatre Wales, in partnership with BBC Writersroom are inviting submissions for the Wales Drama Award.

You can enter from Monday 18 July 2016, find out more and how to apply here.

The deadline for submissions is 5pm on 29 July 2016.

Comment by carmen medway-stephens on June 6, 2016 at 21:14

Hi All, 

Have a performance this Friday the 10th at Carnegie House, Bridgend,  7-8.30 if you can come along,

Its based on true historical account from my Grandfathers memoirs of his time flying the Lancaster Bombers.

x

Comment by Jarek Adams on June 2, 2016 at 3:44

Hi Lisa, 

I’m really interested in coming along to this as I’m just trying to re-establish links with other creatives in my home town of Cardiff, despite currently living in Gloucester. I’m a playwright, and wondered what the day involves, and what I’d need to bring?

Can you let me know ASAP then if it sounds like something I’d find useful, and if I think I can bring something to the day I’ll be very happy to attend.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service