Information

Access Forum

The Access Forum is, in it's physical form, a quarterly meeting for arts organisations, individuals, audience members, freelancers, creators, makers and everyone in between to get together and talk about access.

On this group, we'll be sharing what we discuss at those meetings, the ideas we have, and any thoughts you might have on access.

We're aiming to make everything we do more accessible to more people, and to share everything we do to help each other.

Members: 55
Latest Activity: Apr 28, 2023

Discussion Forum

Breaking Out of the Box 4: Wales - a Diverse Arts Scene?

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/450671Hi Access ForumPlease come to Breaking Out of the Box 4: Wales - A…Continue

Tags: diverse, Wales, hynt, Taking, Flight

Started by Megan Merrett Feb 8, 2018.

Access Forum: Meeting Minutes and Ideas 5 Replies

Our first meeting was held on Wednesday 2 March, at Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff, with our second at Sherman Theatre Cardiff.Please check back here next week for all the minutes and ideas raised in…Continue

Started by Rhian Richards. Last reply by Rhian Richards Oct 25, 2017.

Resources and Top Tips 1 Reply

Hi allOn this thread, I will start posting resources that have been found and made after each Access Forum.I'm currently working on the Marketing and Communications Resource, which will include…Continue

Tags: resources

Started by Rhian Richards. Last reply by National Theatre Wales May 31, 2017.

Any Ideas? 7 Replies

If you've got an idea, thought or something you'd like to discuss, please share it here...Continue

Started by Rhian Richards. Last reply by Rhian Richards Feb 6, 2017.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Access Forum to add comments!

Comment by Megan Merrett on January 20, 2020 at 5:36

Hi, me again.

Hynt and Taking Flight Theatre Company are holding another access symposium, this time hosted by RCT Theatres at the Park and Dare Theatre, Treorchy on Friday 28 February at 10am.

Croeso Cynnes i Bawb - a Warm Welcome to All will focus on relaxed performances.

It's been posted as an event in the Community but wanted to give it a shout out here as it would be great to see some of you there. More details:

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/taking-flight-theatre-company/croeso...

Comment by Megan Merrett on February 4, 2018 at 23:51

Hi Access Forum

Who's coming to Breaking Out of the Box 4: Wales - A Diverse Arts Scene? on Friday 16th February 2018 at Theatr Clwyd, Mold.

It's a hynt and Taking Flight Theatre Company symposium in partnership with Theatr Clwyd.

Breaking Out of the Box 4: Wales – a Diverse Arts Scene?

Friday 16 February 2018 / Dydd Gwener 16 Chwefror 2018, Theatr Clwyd, 09:15 – 16:15

Book Now / Archebwch Nawr: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/450671

This access symposium is hosted in partnership between Taking Flight Theatre Company, hynt and Theatr Clwyd. The event will bring together theatres, arts centres, performers, producers, companies and other creative professionals working across the performing arts to discuss how the arts scene in Wales can become more accessible and diverse.

As well as an opening statement from Phil George, Chair of the Arts Council of Wales the symposium will feature a number of key note speakers who will give a presentation and put forward a  provocation. Following each speaker there will be an open space where further questions can be debated in smaller break out groups. There will also be sessions on accessible marketing materials  (tactile model boxes and audio / BSL flyers) and Running an Accessible Rehearsal Room.

Speakers and their provocations:

Michele Taylor (Director for Change at Ramps on the Moon): “seriously, are we still talking about this”

Jamie Beddard (Diverse City): “Placing people as “other” becomes an excuse for inertia; we are afraid of getting it wrong or offending. Diversity becomes rocket science, and we let ourselves off the hook. Any action is isolated, policy-based and often ineffective, rather than part of a holistic approach around making art (the exciting bit!). New stories, perspectives and imagining, should be the lifeblood of the arts. Therefore, those previously marginalised on unheard are in the box seats to deliver.”

Dr Emily Garside (writer and researcher): “A lack of diversity in Welsh arts is driving talent away from the country and severely limiting the work we make. But is this lack of diversity part of an underlying issue in Wales where the arts, and access to the arts, is controlled by a narrow inward looking group afraid of change?”

Jafar Iqbal (writeofcentre): “If gatekeepers really want to solve the problem of access for people in Wales, then opening the gate with a friendly smile isn’t enough. They need to throw us the keys and trust we won’t break the china.”

How to book:

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/450671

The ticket price includes lunch, teas and coffees. There is a reduced rate for individuals.

Please contact me with any questions on 01446 401744 or megan@creucymru.com.

Comment by Rhian Richards on October 25, 2017 at 0:19

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to add the transcript of the Dementia Friendly Access Forum to the Discussion above - 

Access Forum: Meeting Minutes and Ideas

Just so you know, I'm off on Maternity leave from tomorrow, so Jacob Gough from NTW will be taking over the running of the Access Forum while I'm away.

See you all soon!

Rhi
X

Comment by National Theatre Wales on September 29, 2017 at 2:47

Hi all,

Our next Access Forum is confirmed!

Find out more and let us know if you're coming, here

See you soon!

Rhian

Comment by Rhian Richards on April 6, 2017 at 3:52

Another one from me - the notes from Jo Verrent's access forum can now be found in the discussion box above, or click here: 

Access Forum: Meeting Minutes and Ideas

Comment by Rhian Richards on April 6, 2017 at 3:44

Hi Everyone!

Hoping to get an access forum booked in soon, so please send me any ideas or topics you'd like to discuss!

Thanks

Rhi

Comment by Rhian Richards on February 16, 2017 at 23:40

Hi Jo

Thanks for getting in touch.

It is definitely the ambition to have these meetings happening all over Wales, and the next one will hopefully be in Venue Cymru, North Wales in March. Since we depend on people giving us space for free, and finding people to help us run them, we're kind of in the position where we need to do some work to find those people and get them off the ground. There isn't any funding for the meetings either, but we're ambitious to make it a national thing.

If you'd like to chat about it further and help me out in finding somewhere nearer you where we could do a forum, please drop me an email on rhianlewis@nationaltheatrewales.org and we can chat!

Thanks
Rhian

Comment by jo munton-vagabondi puppets on February 16, 2017 at 23:34
I'd be really interested in meeting up and really tackling these issues. But I'm based in the middle of wales with no driving licence because of my disability. Any meeting that are more accessible than cardiff ( unfortunately one of the hardest place to get to on public transport from mid wales ) x
Comment by Rhian Richards on January 16, 2017 at 2:01

Next Access Forum confirmed!

With Jo Verrent
Thursday 2nd February, 6-8pm
Japan Room, Wales Millennium Centre
There will be a palantypist providing live, remote captioning

Please click you're attending, and share! Event here

Comment by Rhian Richards on January 5, 2017 at 22:29

*Date for your diary*

The next access forum will be on Thursday February 2nd, with guest speaker Jo Verrent!

Venue and time not confirmed yet, but it will be an early evening as ever.

More information to follow!

Members (55)

2qjkymiztlzjw

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service