Shall we change the site font? Your views please.

Several people have mentioned to us that they find the font on this site rather difficult to read, so we have decided to offer some alternatives, and ask for your views.

We've come up with two alternatives - ARIAL, the second VERDANA. There is an image of what the site would look like with each of these fonts below.

Please let us know if you would like us to change the font or keep the existing one, and if so, which one - VOTE HERE

ARIAL

VERDANA:

Views: 431

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of National Theatre Wales Community to add comments!

Join National Theatre Wales Community

Comment by Robert Harper on March 23, 2010 at 1:56
Guto, I do hope that comment is in jest.
Comment by Tracy Spottiswoode on March 23, 2010 at 1:37
Verdana for me too. Arial reminds me of the BBC radio scripts (sorry Tim Price, but it is bog standard - like Courier - and reminds me too much of WORK and not in a good way either) Century Gothic is another I'm fond of. While we're on the subject of the website design - can there be a separate section for REVIEWS please? I spent an age trying to find where there were any reviews for A Good Night Out. It would be useful to have a one stop shop for reviews of other productions in Wales too or at least a link to them so we can see what's going on in the theatre scene in our country. The Western Mail seems to have abandoned its theatre reviewing section a while back. Shame on you Western Mail, call yourself a national paper?!
Comment by Guto Evans on March 23, 2010 at 1:17
Comic Sans!
Comment by Hywel Morgan on March 23, 2010 at 0:07
Oh God, yes Verdana PLEASE - I know it suggests old fashioned typewriters but Courier's almost painful to read! Perhaps use Helvetica as a complementary font for headings?

Also while we're on general design feedback - what about a wider body text area as well - the text is crammed into the central area like a blog and there's all this breathing space left and right that's going for nothing! Is it just cos I is on a Mac like?

Comment by Juliet Brain on March 22, 2010 at 12:04
What the site lacks is 'design' a good designer knows that uncluttered is easier to read and that there are only a few fonts that are easy to read and suit info websites - the RNIB recommend Times Roman for those with sight impairment BUT thats about as exciting as courier. The community website could do with a good feng shui (sp?) so well done for getting on with it
Comment by Steve Purbrick on March 22, 2010 at 10:23
I agree that Verdana is more readable for block text. Keep Courier for headings, splashes, etc.
Comment by Tom Beardshaw on March 22, 2010 at 10:17
That's a useful suggestion Aaron. I'm sympathetic to Courier because it is unique, and the 'typewriter' feel seems appropriate to a theatre community. But the need for readability trumps this... I'll certainly look at this when the poll closes...
Comment by Peter Cox MBE on March 22, 2010 at 10:05
Hi Tom

I'm back from the self-imposed wilderness of researching, devising, writing and directing and clearly have a sack load of NTW goodies to catch up on. I've always been a Verdana man myself and will toss my hat into the verdana ring if I may!
Comment by Tom Beardshaw on March 22, 2010 at 10:04
I wouldn't say that Aaron - design can serve many purposes in many contexts.

I would say that ON THE WEB, design should serve functionality and in particular, usability. Beautiful but unusable sites tend to fail... whereas even very simply visually designed sites with amazing functionality tend to win - see, for example, Facebook and Google.

Of course, for some sites, a core function is to look visually beautiful and inspirational. But this is not a priority function for a social network site.
Comment by Annie Rigby on March 22, 2010 at 10:00
Arial is a poor imitation of Helvetica, so I vote Verdana. If it's good enough for IKEA...!

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service