Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by Kevin Johnson on July 7, 2010 at 1:29
I was one of the attendees at the Paines Plough workshops, which were very interesting, as was meeting & listening to other writers and realising that I was not alone in being passionate about theatre. Most were from Cardiff or it's environs but for the record I'm from Port Talbot & travelled in that day from my work in Swansea. It was easier for me as my workplace has flexi-time, without which I couldn't have made it. Another writer had a two-hour train journey from the Hereford border area, as such he couldn't stay for the second workshop, so Meredydd's point is well-taken. Anyone from North Wales would have had to stay overnight, and times are hard.

Unfortunately Cardiff is the capital and this has the same result for Wales as London does for England, everything is centralised. The difference being that England has a large population in the North that can support theatre, with good communication links. We in Wales don't. It was only relatively recently that there was even a regular train service between north & south.

The Nat Theatre Scotland has solved this problem, as I believe Nat Theatre Wales is doing, by dispensing with a central theatre & touring venues all over the country instead. This is a key factor, I believe, in helping unify the country's talents.

Yesterday I went to the Welsh Assembly on an organised trip, and two things struck me. First, what an excellent place to set a play, no massive scenery changes and plenty of discussion on important matters. Second, one of the questions the First Minister was asked was if Labour's policy for locating departments and investment was still "ABC - Anywhere But Cardiff".

Seems this matter is discussed not just here but at the highest levels.

His reply by the way was that Cardiff has done very well out of investment, the Bay, Millennium Centre, Stadium, St David's 2, etc, that perhaps it's time for other parts of Wales to recieve investment. So it seems there is hope after all.

But let's not forget that we've got Theatre Mold up in the north, and for many years they've been flying the flag for Welsh theatre and doing it well. What we need to do is develop closer links between North, West, Mid and South Wales, and I think right here is a good start.
Comment by Brad Birch on July 7, 2010 at 0:55
I agree wholeheartedly, Meredydd.

Being from Mid Wales, we very seldom get discussed as being part of the artistic tapestry of Wales. The scalpel with which the Arts Council used to decimated the area last week is testament to that. As of next year theatre will come as close as 30 miles to where I live. Some friends having to cross the border to get to the nearest venue.

An impossible task, of course, for any company to try and reach a whole country in the time with which they've given themselves. And what with Mid Wales being an area where the Corn Laws are still more relevant than the Data Protection Act, I can see why these companies don't really try and creep up to us.

Would be nice if we were acknowledged as being there, sometimes, if only in the honesty of the companies saying that they find it not in their interest to come to us.

Cardiff is a wonderful place and I love working there and will, of course, keep going there for as long as I'm welcome. But yes, Meredydd, you're certainly not alone in thinking as you do.
Comment by meredydd barker on July 6, 2010 at 23:37
I'm glad the event went well. I'm glad that everyone seems to have been inspired by the chats and the performance.

But.

I'm not privvy to whether the attendees were exclusively from the Cardiff district or not. Some may well have flown in from Anglesey. Good luck to you if you did. But it seems to me that this was a Cardiff event for Cardiff writers for the simple reason that it was held on a Wednesday. Cardiff isn't Wales. Not on a Wednesday. If you live, as I do, to the west of Swansea then it's very difficult to get to Cardiff in time for anything during the week especially if you have daytime obligations that you take seriously such as teaching. Take the day off? Can't afford it. Who can? Move to Cardiff? Call me naive but I think it's possible to make a meaningful contribution to Welsh theatre without living in the capital. I understand that Paines Plough have an itinerary, Wednesday suited them best etc. I have no problem with that. But I do have a problem with even the slightest suggestion that Cardiff and Wales are somehow synonymous and that Paines Plough may have walked away with that idea along with the impression that they'd encountered the best of Welsh writing. In saying this I'm not making great claims for myself - too battered and bruised for that - nor am I decrying the talents of the writers who were there. But I am stating what an underestimated amount of people outside of the capital feel, playwrights or no. If allowed, metrocentricity, no matter how tacit, can be as ugly and self defeating as nationalism. Especially on a Wednesday.
Comment by Tom Wentworth on July 6, 2010 at 8:49
I also attended the workshop and the performance both of which I found to be hugely inspiring. I have already 'got to end' of my newest piece.
Comment by Matthew Bulgo on July 5, 2010 at 7:39
How encouraging to hear that!
The two workshops that George and James ran on the Wednesday were hugely useful, and I was surprised that more people didn't grab the opportunity of attending either of them.
Am very much looking forward to seeing what our neighbours in Bristol come up with at COME TO WHERE I'M FROM this Saturday. Was a great experience being a part of the Cardiff leg and a fascinating project to write for.
Comment by National Theatre Wales on July 5, 2010 at 6:10
James and George of Paines Plough mentioned to us that Wales had been one of the most exciting places to work in terms of the quality of scripts they'd been sent and the energy of the writers during the UK-wide 'Come to Where I'm From' project. Comparing a wide range of cities, they felt that Cardiff was one of the most lively places for new theatre writing. Hurrah!
Comment by Kenon Man on June 28, 2010 at 2:52
Just a reminder that five writers will be performing their own work as part of Paines Plough and Sherman Cymru's Come to Where I'm From this Thursday at Chapter - 7pm and 9pm.

The writers involved - Matthew Bulgo, Sam Burns, Alan Harris, Bethan Marlow & Tim Price.

COME TO WHERE I'M FROM, a Paines Plough project which sees 61 playwrights from across the UK returning to their home towns to write plays about the places that shaped them. At 14 theatres from Bristol to Belfast, Cardiff to Coventry, Nottingham to Newcastle, playwrights including David Edgar, Alia Bano, Leo Butler and Penelope Skinner ask if home is really where the heart is.

Tickets are £3 and available from Chapter 029 2030 4400

Also this Wednesday (30th June) The Artistic Directors of Paines Plough - James Grieve & George Perrin will be leading two workshops. -

Workshop one: 6.30pm - If It Didn't Exist, You'd Have To Invent It - If you’re interested in setting up and running your own company, we can help you force your ideas into existence.

Workshop two - 8.15pm: Producing Plays, Developing Writers - If you write, come and see what we can do for you.

These workshops are free but spaces are limited please contact branwen.davies@shermancymru.co.uk to book your place.
Comment by Bethan Marlow on June 17, 2010 at 23:35
I've just put a game up on NTW05 for all you writers to play. There's a prize and everything!
Comment by Branwen Davies on June 17, 2010 at 22:43
Paines Plough and Sherman Cymru present
COME TO WHERE I'M FROM

Thursday 1st of July

The leading new writing company Paines Plough is asking playwrights from across the UK to write plays about the places they grew up. In villages and towns and cities, these plays will be performed by the writers themselves.   

In this special one-off performance at Chapter Arts Centre, playwrights from across Wales come home to tell their tale.  

Come To Where I'm From will result in a theatrical tapestry of the UK, woven by writers asking if home really is where the heart is.

Writers
Matthew Bulgo
Sam Burns
Alan Harris
Bethan Marlow
Tim Price

Chapter 7pm & 9pm Tickets £3 029 2030 4400 www.chapter.org

WORKSHOP INFO

Wednesday 30th of June. Y Llofft, Chapter.

There are 25 places for each workshop. If you are interested in coming along please e-mail branwen.davies@shermancymru.co.uk to reserve your place.

In addition to the performance of Come To Where I’m From, Paines Plough will be running two workshops - one on playwriting and one on setting up and running a company. James Grieve and George Perrin the Artistic Directors of Paines Plough will lead the workshop

WORKSHOP ONE: If It Didn't Exist, You'd Have To Invent It
Paines Plough was dreamt up by its founders over a pint. The name comes from the beer they were drinking (Paines) and the pub they were drinking in (Plough). Thirty-five years later: “Paines Plough's nomadic theatre company has racked up so many stars that browsing its press release is a bit like looking into deep space” (METRO).  If you’re interested in setting up and running your own company, we can help you force your ideas into existence.
6.30pm

WORKSHOP TWO: Producing Plays, Developing Writers
Paines Plough is a home for writers - the playwright is at the heart of everything we do. When we're not producing plays, we're doing our best to help playwrights get better at writing them. If you write, come and see what we can do for you.
8.15pm
Comment by Othniel Smith on June 3, 2010 at 6:22
The Writers' Guild of Great Britain is pleased to announce a workshop with the BBC's Head of Audio Drama Alison Hindell. The workshop will take place at Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff, on Friday 18th June 2010 at 7pm. Participants should register their interest with Othniel Smith (smithothniel@gmail.com). Please note that this is an event for writers new to radio and the opportunity is NOT open to writers with radio drama credits.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service