Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on July 28, 2011 at 8:30
Hi All, re Freedom Theatre, I have posted a suggested text for a petition on the front page of the site with the original blog.  Could you writers have a look at it and make it better if appropriate. Ta J
Comment by Kevin Johnson on July 28, 2011 at 5:22

Hi Carys, thanks for the write up, it made up for missing the whole thing. Unfortunately when the date was announced I had a prior commitment in Swansea, otherwise I'd have been there.

Also as to the Jenin Theatre I too, would like to know how we can help. 

Comment by Kaite O'Reilly on July 28, 2011 at 0:39
Carys - so many thanks for writing up the How Tall
event for those of us who couldn't make it - very much
appreciated!
Kaite
Comment by Greg Cullen on July 28, 2011 at 0:25
Freedom Theatre are a life line for young people, for truth, for life and for all of us. Their peril is ours. Our governments stood by when fascism took root in Spain. Welsh men and women joined the international brigades. Our governments do nothing whilst Zionism re-roots itself in the soil of racism and fascism. The BBC run scared. Our corrupt news empires are in debt to Zionist interests. What do we do? We put ourselves on the line. Artistically and physically in solidarity, and that is very different to charity. Shock n Awe are trying to create work with Freedom Theatre. We want Freedom Theatre to come here. Expand their activities, go to Palestine, stand in the way of fascism.
Comment by Terry Victor on July 27, 2011 at 23:27
ICAF are contacting the Jenin Freedom Theatre to see what help is required. Meanwhile, this from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/28/world/middleeast/28mideast.html
Comment by Lisa Parry on July 27, 2011 at 23:20

Hi everyone,

Just had a twitter exchange with Carys who suggested I post something on the Antelopes as people don't seem that clear as to what they do. I'm not a seasoned Antelope at all and only went along to my first meeting this week, but basically:

-It's a group of playwrights who meet in a room above a pub. Some meetings are more full than others. The idea is that a group of writers actually meeting is pretty powerful as it stops the isolation a bit and means we can talk about what's going on in the industry very openly. 

-Directors/literary managers etc can't attend. It's writers only. Sometimes Antelopes will go and meet people and report back. Or people will be invited - not to the meetings (I think that's right), but to address people who turn up at an agreed venue. It's important that the people come to the writers when this happens.

-Anything that's said is subject to Chatham House rules.

- There is an online forum for debates. Two writers currently organise meetings etc for a while and then others take over.

-There isn't a strict list of rules etc. Basically what one writer hates (development in rehearsed readings etc) turns out to be useful to another.

Basically the power comes from being able to have conversations as to what's going on, see if the group wants to do anything etc etc. For example, some Antelopes met ACE recently re new writing in England. 

Hope that helps people understand it a bit more. There's also a Liverpool branch now. Think they're called the Aardvarks.

Comment by Terry Victor on July 27, 2011 at 22:08

I have forwarded the thread to the co-ordinator for ICAF - Equity's  International Committee for Artists' Freedom (of which I am a member). 

You are right, Carmen, theatre must not be silenced. What should we do and how can I help? - given that I am away in Edinburgh for much of the next month.

Comment by Rebecca Gould on July 27, 2011 at 21:28
Go for it Carmen, I think there would be lots of support from audiences and writers Let's also send lots of love to Jacob's mum Lucy, who must so worried!
Comment by Peter Cox MBE on July 27, 2011 at 11:28

This has been a very active thread recently about finding ways for the voice of writers to be heard in Wales.  Forgive me for skewing the thread slightly by calling attention to the attempted silencing of Theatre Jenin's voice.  News has been sent to us by Jacob Gough - who many of us will know or have worked with.

Israeli Army Attacks Freedom Theatre in Jenin Refugee Camp

Wednesday, 27 July 2011 07:41 Freedom Theatre Foundation
Print PDF

Special forces of the Israeli army attacked the Freedom Theatre in Jenin Refugee Camp at approximately 03:30 this morning (27 July).

Ahmad Nasser Matahen, a night guard and technician student at the theatre, was awakened by heavy blocks of stone being hurled at the theatre by soldiers; several windows were shattered. As he opened the door he found masked and heavily armed Israeli soldiers around the theatre. 

Ahmed says that the army threw heavy blocks of stone at the theatre, “they told me to open the door to the theatre. They told me to raise my hands and forced me to take my pants down. I thought my time had come, that they would kill me. My brother that was with me was handcuffed.“

The location manager of The Freedom Theatre, Adnan Naghnaghiye, was arrested and taken away to an unknown location together with Bilal Saadi, a member of the board of The Freedom Theatre. When the general manager of the theatre Jacob Gough from the UK and the co-founder of the theatre Jonatan Stanczak from Sweden arrived to the scene, they were forced at gunpoint to squat next to a family with four small children surrounded by approximately 50 heavily armed Israeli soldiers.

Jonatan says: “Whenever we tried to tell them that they are attacking a cultural venue and arresting members of the theatre we were told to shut up and they threatened to kick us. I tried to contact the civil administration of the army to clarify the matter but the person in charge hung up on me.“

For more information please contact:

Jacob Gough at +972 (0)59 534 83 91

Jonatan Stanczak at +972 (0)54 391 57 08

Email:

Jonatan Stanczak:  jonatan.stanczak@gmail.com

Jacob Gough: jacobllyr@hotmail.co.uk

Urgently raising the profile of this incident and potentially lobbying politically about it would clearly be of benefit to Jacob and his colleagues.

Even just sending solidarity to him at the above email address will be greatly encouraging while under such pressure.

I've just sent this email (below) to Jacob and had a very prompt and grateful reply.

Jacob

Just read the news on the NTW site.

This is an outrage.  Firstly just sending solidarity to you and all your team.

Secondly will try to raise awareness here.

Giving a voice to the voiceless is inspirational, honourable and a function of theatre in a civilised society.

When that voice is suppressed all our voices need to be raised in defiance and condemnation.

Take great care.
Peter

Comment by Matthew Bulgo on July 27, 2011 at 7:11
Gutted not to make it. Look forward to hearing all about it. Will there be another?

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service