Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by National Theatre Wales on October 30, 2011 at 12:40

Oh, i wouldn't be so down on Welsh habits Tim. Having spent a bunch of time in Scotland and a bit of time in Ireland recently, the one thing folk do more than talk about national characteristics is criticise themselves for talking about national characteristics...

Now, don't you have a play to write..... (the Welsh one)

Comment by meredydd barker on October 30, 2011 at 12:39

I don't think I was talking myself out of answering the question; and I'm not embarrassed to even consider the question. Why embarrassed? I don't think there's been enough response for it to be an exercise in the absurd unless it's absurd how little response there's been. I think this is interesting-

“The issue is a fundamental one. For a long time there has been a lot of arguing, a lot of partisan behaviour. We all know it is not healthy. It might be entertaining, but it hasn’t helped. So maybe this series is about trying to move on from there."

Has there been a lot of arguing and partisan behaviour in Wales? That's a genuine question. Has there?

My problem is I'm finishing off a lot of work this week so the question of what makes a play Welsh is just adding to the exhaustion. I'd like to be interested, but what makes a play Welsh isn't eating away at me. I'll give it a week so don't quote me...

Comment by Tim Price on October 30, 2011 at 12:10

Yes John I think it's something worth replicating in Wales, as part of your canvassing opinion for the future shape of year 3 and 4.

I can't help thinking all the posts in response to this might sound like people are talking themselves out answering the question. Scotland certainly isn't embarrassed to ask what makes a play Scottish. And I have sat in pubs bored to tears by Irish playwrights explaining why Irish playwriting is so different to Britains.

Yet us Welsh seem too embarrassed to even consider the question.

Cliche alert:But then come to rugby and we can all make the distinction between a Welsh style of rugby and the rest of the world, yet it's a game played within universal rules.

Does it say something about us as peer group, that when asked how we differ from neighbours we think it's an exercise in the absurd?

Comment by alun howell on October 30, 2011 at 11:37

The question of what makes a Welsh play does not have a particular answer. A play in the Welsh language may have a claim but if it doesn’t deal with Welsh issues then it could be in any language. A play in English or Welsh about Welsh issues might reasonably claim to be a Welsh play but is this theoretical concept of a ‘Welsh’ play worth worrying about?

If a play comes from the heart and from a playwright who reflects Welsh issues and emotions (however they may be defined) it will be a play worth writing and worth seeing whether it is considered ‘Welsh’ or not.

We should be more interested in building an audience of committed theatre goers.

The competition is fierce – television, films, videos etc, etc. We cannot afford to be sidetracked by is it/isn’t Welsh; or what London thinks.

Comment by National Theatre Wales on October 30, 2011 at 10:29

It's a question that is coming up in many interesting ways as we develop A Provincial Life with Peter Gill.  Chekhov again, and so not Welsh, and not helped by being overly shoehorned into relevance.  And yet, in many ways, so very Welsh, in the sense of reflecting concerns, frustrations and hopes that seem so of here and now.  The question is in part how much to gently suggest this, how much to leave unstated...  Peter's decisions not mine, but fascinating to think about.

Carmen - in answer to your question, Tim will be too modest to respond, but the answer is Tim Price for the Donmar at Trafalgar Studios this November!

Tim, it will be interesting to hear more about how 'Staging the Nation' went for NTS and the wider theatre commumnity.  From my chats with NTS bods it's been a positive experience, and an intelligent debate.  Will be good to hear more from a range of people.  It's certainly the kind of thing I'd be happy for us - or us and partners - to do more of.

Comment by meredydd barker on October 27, 2011 at 11:41

What makes a play Welsh? I'd hope the answer lies somewhere behind a fractal, between a miaow and the cat's tongue, or three feet to the left of a super nova. The question reminds me of one of those tasks that's given to the damned to keep them from the clutches of Satan; empty Lake Bala with a sieve perhaps.

I'd hope that the question is continually asked and answered as we practice the craft. Anything definitive, and anyone who presumes to answer with something definitive, would be anti the art to my mind. I saw Fluellen Theatre's production of Uncle Vanya recently. I thought it as good a Welsh play as you can get, but there was nothing Welsh about the production per se; set, costumes, actors, I don't recall anything that could be even remotely called Welsh. But I felt it. I might have brought that sensibility into the space with me. I've seen Welsh language plays set in Welsh villages with - obviously - Welsh casts and they've been completely and utterly foreign. Again, did I bring that into the space? Dunno/probably/probably/dunno. I watched Pinter's The Collection on Youtube the other night with Olivier, Macdowell, Mirren and an utterly brilliant Alan Bates. It's set in London of course; watch it if you haven't. I thought it Welsh, Swansea in fact. I have no idea why. I mean it's preposterous to think that the universe is Welsh. But there's nothing wrong with thinking that Wales can be the universe.

Comment by Tim Price on October 27, 2011 at 1:39

Could NTW generate this kind of debate?

http://thomdibdin.co.uk/?p=2371

Comment by Terry Victor on October 10, 2011 at 20:04
My first time on telly was as a schoolboy commentator on Saved at the Royal Court. I don't remember what the arts programme was but I do remember the pram stoning being staged in the studio. An conic moment.
Comment by Peter Cox MBE on October 10, 2011 at 12:40
He was a real craftsman as a playwright and really knew his stagecraft as a director.   Amazingly I ended up sharing  a flat with him for the duration of rehearsals!  Saw the first show to open the new Bush Theatre this afternoon as part of the Sixty Six books season.  The space is nice and flexible and and of the nine responses I saw today the stand out piece was directed by Peter Gill and performed by Kathy Pogson.
Comment by Peter Cox MBE on October 4, 2011 at 11:05
Off to London next week.  Will see one of the Sixty Six Books responses with Kathy Pogson.  A Sondheim / Gershwin Cabaret.  The Passenger at ENO. Probably the Minotaur project in the Old Vic Tunnels.  Yet to check out Time Out for other options. Just watched new mid Powys youth theatre play written by young writers.  I love the play Saved.  I was lucky enough to assistant direct Edward Bond on the premiere of his play The Worlds with the Royal Court Young People's Theatre Scheme.  Amazing experience.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service