Information

Writers

An official National Theatre Wales group

Writers who want to be part of National Theatre Wales, share ideas, get feedback from each other, and hear about opportunities

Members: 481
Latest Activity: Jan 30, 2023

Please Read Our Guidelines To Artists

Before sending in any scripts or idea submissions, it is very important that you read guidelines on our Your Work page

Discussion Forum

Looking for Welsh Playwrights for Scratch Night in London.

Started by CHIPPY LANE PRODUCTIONS LTD. Aug 7, 2016.

Collaborators Needed! 2 Replies

Started by Camille Naylor. Last reply by sean donovan Dec 1, 2015.

Looking for a writer to collaborate on an idea. 2 Replies

Started by Caley Powell. Last reply by Catrin Fflur Huws Mar 3, 2015.

NTW Dramaturgy Project - Beginnings

Started by Richard Hurford Oct 20, 2014.

ONiiiT: The Power of Words

Started by Sophie Chei Hickson Aug 21, 2014.

Comment Wall

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of Writers to add comments!

Comment by meredydd barker on November 25, 2011 at 0:53

Are you sure you're losing your identity and voice by doing so? You say the dialogue suits the conflict needed by the situation and characters. I say well done. The conflict, situation and characters are part of what makes you the writer that you are. I watched Pinter's The Collection on youtube recently. I'm not the world's greatest Pinter afficianado, but I couldn't help but note how very simple and pared back dialogue was given so many shades of meaning by character, conflict and situation. I'm not recommending that you go all Pinteresque, far from it. But I am saying that the chit chat between your characters is only one aspect of your voice. The best editing technique I know is to hear your play read by actors. Then there's no confusion as what works and what doesn't; but that's just me. Another example that springs to mind is Sarah Kane. Editing, paring back was her favourite part of the process and it accentuated her voice. There was no dilution.

Comment by meredydd barker on November 24, 2011 at 10:54
Comment by Gary Owen on November 24, 2011 at 4:37

Sorry chaps - we spill the real reason why people become writers.

Baker Boys 2.  Starts tonight, 9pm BBC 1 Wales, then up on iPlayer.

Comment by Peter Cox MBE on November 24, 2011 at 1:32

Chris, I've been there so many times myself.  I know the feeling well.  Call what you're doing 'pre-writing' rather than procrastinating.  Basically what you're doing is warming up your writing muscles - both mental and physical.  Once you're warmed up you'll write better. At least that's how I justify it when I'm doing the same as you.  Like now!

Comment by meredydd barker on November 22, 2011 at 21:53
Comment by meredydd barker on November 15, 2011 at 21:35
Comment by Matthew Bulgo on November 12, 2011 at 1:08
That would be great. Thanks, Rebecca. M
Comment by Rebecca Gould on November 11, 2011 at 23:01
Hi Matthew, I can get one sent to you, message me your address. Bec
Comment by Matthew Bulgo on November 11, 2011 at 9:11
Sounds like a great week, Kath. Can't wait to see the fruits of your labours. Do you know if that book is still available? Couldn't find it on Amazon.
M X
Comment by Gwydion Suilebhan on November 8, 2011 at 14:02

Thanks for the link to my blog post. I think you've asked great questions, Matt.

As for whether standardization (pardon my U.S. spelling) is realistic... who knows? I don't fear homogenization, however, since we're only talking about script sample sizes and submission packets.

As for what should replace "emerging" -- why not just do without a label entirely? What need is being met by the term?

Your question about AD positions is interesting to me. I think we need to see more people from all backgrounds working as ADs -- you're right.

Members (481)

image block identification

© 2024   Created by National Theatre Wales.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service